• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And I would literally take every single one of them over hurst. All of those guys are making impacts. Hell, if James Daniels was on this team, our Oline would be set. He was a huge part of containing Aaron freaking Donald yesterday and the Bears coaching staff even said that. Every single one of those guys is better for this team than hurst is.

I was begging for either Ridley or Hernandez on draft night - i understand the hurst pick but i was underwhelmed at the time - im happy to ride with him and see what happens but ngl im disappointed we dont have one of ridley or hernandez given the value i had of them on my board

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I was begging for either Ridley or Hernandez on draft night - i understand the hurst pick but i was underwhelmed at the time - im happy to ride with him and see what happens but ngl im disappointed we dont have one of ridley or hernandez given the value i had of them on my board
I was like well I’m pissed we didn’t take Derwin but omg there’s still so many good options....wtf

Hurst wasn’t the guy I thought we’d take or wanted to take but I chose to get excited for him and he hasn’t even played enough to show us anything. If he turns into a good player than cool but I have a feeling that pick is always going to be another what if

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was like well I’m pissed we didn’t take Derwin but omg there’s still so many good options....wtf

Hurst wasn’t the guy I thought we’d take or wanted to take but I chose to get excited for him and he hasn’t even played enough to show us anything. If he turns into a good player than cool but I have a feeling that pick is always going to be another what if

im not gonna lie my immediate emotions in the aftermath of this pick were very similar to how i felt when we picked perriman - a sort of "eh" and then buying in because he's our guy now and we dont have any other choice but to ride with him

i genuinely would have been fine taking lamar at 25 too

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
So can someone explain how ESPN's tracking has the Steelers still as large favorites to win the AFC North? They have the Pats and Saints left, both of whom I would expect to beat them and 8 wins shouldn't be enough?

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
So can someone explain how ESPN's tracking has the Steelers still as large favorites to win the AFC North? They have the Pats and Saints left, both of whom I would expect to beat them and 8 wins shouldn't be enough?

I think they'll lose to the Saints, but the Pats are beatable this year and I think the Steelers will treat that game like their Super Bowl. Also, on our end, the only guaranteed win is the Bucs. The Chargers game will be tough and the Browns have already beat us this year so it won't be a cakewalk.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think they'll lose to the Saints, but the Pats are beatable this year and I think the Steelers will treat that game like their Super Bowl. Also, on our end, the only guaranteed win is the Bucs. The Chargers game will be tough and the Browns have already beat us this year so it won't be a cakewalk.

I do think the Pats are very beatable but the Pats own the Steelers. Most historical trends I hate unless it slams in one direction (Pats in Miami, Ravens against Miami/Colts, Jags being good against Ravens, etc) and Pats Steelers is one of those.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
the much better argument is Hurst vs.

Calvin Ridley
Will Hernandez
Sony Michel
Nick Chubb
James Daniels
Harold Landry
Anthony Miller
This is very true, but we didn't know Andrews was going to be sitting at 86 either and we needed a TE

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i agree, i just couldn’t help but think what lamar would look like with someone like andy reid and his scheme
his offensive coordinator may once again be up for a head coaching job this offseason. Eric Bieniemy

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is very true, but we didn't know Andrews was going to be sitting at 86 either and we needed a TE

im not saying they are correct arguments - im just saying they are more valid

that being said i still would have preferred most of them to Hurst on draft night - albeit was very happy with the fit in the offence (albeit at the time i was thinking about flacco)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Reactions: Icy

Icy

Practice Squad
his offensive coordinator may once again be up for a head coaching job this offseason. Eric Bieniemy

interesting. i just read that he doesnt call the plays but he designs them, and the gameplan. he's definitely probably gonna get his shot with the way that offense is playing, particularly mahommes. everyone he's worked with has said great things about him

Edit: I would love to see how he uses Hurst & Andrews

Last edited:

Icy

Practice Squad
absolutely - there is literally nothing bad that comes from using all that pre-snap motion - it shows the defence more clearly to Lamar, it creates an extra element of deception which helps with the zone-read and with play-action and also spreads out the defence more, it creates more obvious matchups

there's a reason why almost every snap that Jared Goff takes from under centre uses some time of play fake - it's because it doesnt matter if you've done it 100 times it still holds the defence

its a similar concept in KC
i hope our next OC is taking notes

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i hope our next OC is taking notes

it blows my mind that playcallers didnt use them as much as they do until Sean Mcvay took control of the Rams...

now the Chiefs and Saints and Bears and Rams and 49ers etc. all use tons of pre and post-snap motion to create mismatches and spread the defence - the more you move guys the more information you have and the more in control of matchups you are and the more deception you create in your bread and butter plays

and it's early days but Freddie Kitchens is using a lot of motion down in Cleveland since he took over the offence too

Icy

Practice Squad
it blows my mind that playcallers didnt use them as much as they do until Sean Mcvay took control of the Rams...

now the Chiefs and Saints and Bears and Rams and 49ers etc. all use tons of pre and post-snap motion to create mismatches and spread the defence - the more you move guys the more information you have and the more in control of matchups you are and the more deception you create in your bread and butter plays

and it's early days but Freddie Kitchens is using a lot of motion down in Cleveland since he took over the offence too

im not surprised baker is playing so well now then. as you said it just seems like it helps the young qbs sooo much.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im so tired of seeing this - first of all, we obviously didn’t need a tight end this year because Boyle still plays the majority of snaps. Besides Andrews big catches that are becoming scarce, the rookie TEs are making no more of an impact than Maxx and Boyle.

And this “we didn’t know Andrews would be sitting at 86” is bs as well. That’s completely irrelevant. There were a plethora of good TEs in this class and there was no reason to take one in the 1st round. Not to mention I didn’t think Andrews would be gone by the mid 3rd anyway. You don’t know that they didn’t think he’d be there. We could’ve easily wanted to take 2 TEs anyway.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Steelers forum is exceptionally good today:

http://steelerfury.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11364&start=800

KC wrote:
Not sure this defense can stop anybody.

Sad.

Can't stop a bubble in a light breeze....
icon_mad.gif
That was funny. You think some people hate Harbaugh on here, I am serious concerned for Tomlin’s safety. There is some rabid hatred in Pittsburgh for that man. They want to tar and feather Boswell also. I didn’t realize with all the missed field goals, he has missed 5 extra points this season.