• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yea i understand but pats vs ravens wouldve easy money. Easier than chargers vs us during offs

Pats probably would have beaten us regardless, but I think it would have been a much more competitive game than what we saw in their games against the Chargers and Rams.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Pats probably would have beaten us regardless, but I think it would have been a much more competitive game than what we saw in their games against the Chargers and Rams.
Oh yea i def agree.. idk wtf happened in tbat charger game.. i know the pats used alot of our defensive tactics in these offs it seemed like..

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Best defensive mind in NFL history vs. a rookie QB who is raw and has a lot of problems.

Defense would’ve made it closeish but we would’ve lose.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Best defensive mind in NFL history vs. a rookie QB who is raw and has a lot of problems.

Defense would’ve made it closeish but we would’ve lose.
We would have done better than the Chargers, but yeah, it's likely we lose. Our only hope would have been copying that old playoff game against the where we racked up a ton rushing yards. Though I don't think this line could have pulled that off.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
We would have done better than the Chargers, but yeah, it's likely we lose. Our only hope would have been copying that old playoff game against the where we racked up a ton rushing yards. Though I don't think this line could have pulled that off.

Our line shit the bed so hard against the Chargers. Ingram and Bosa are beasts, but there's no way that we should have had that much trouble blocking against all the safeties/corners that the Chargers had on the field.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ravens FB shared a pic of averett captioned “next up”.... fingers crossed we aren’t about to cut jimmy just to do it...

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ravens FB shared a pic of averett captioned “next up”.... fingers crossed we aren’t about to cut jimmy just to do it...

At least it's nice to know that we have Averett and others that could potentially step in and not suffer a huge loss in the secondary. We've come a long way since '14 when we ran out of corners and Melvin was getting torched in the playoffs.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
At least it's nice to know that we have Averett and others that could potentially step in and not suffer a huge loss in the secondary. We've come a long way since '14 when we ran out of corners and Melvin was getting torched in the playoffs.
Absolutely, our secondary has turned into the unquestioned strength and identity of this team imo, and that’s because we have an elite starting unit and probably the best depth in the league. I always say when your 2 and 3 is jimmy smith and Brandon Carr you’re doing something right. Cutting a guy like jimmy doesn’t just hurt your starting corps by a shit ton, but it also weakens your depth by making a player who is ideally a depth piece(averett, Carr) a starter and having a huge question mark behind them. So even if averett turns out to be a total steal and a competent starter, if he gets hurt then what happens then? if jimmy gets hurt then averett can come in and be solid, you can’t have that necessary luxury if you cut jimmy.

And with this teams makeup, you won’t be winning without an elite defense, to me, maintaining defensive excellence is as important as building around lamar, because building the defense IS building around lamar, complementary football is key with this team.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I think it’s going to happen which blows.

I’m sorry. If you give me the choice between June 1st cutting Williams or keeping Jimmy, who roughly cost the same, Jimmy is the far superior player. You keep him. Williams isn’t even the best NT on the roster, let alone defensive lineman

JO_75

Hall of Famer

I think with the injuries and his ability to not stay healthy coupled with the four game suspension last year, it's hard to justify his $15M cap hit for this season.

Though I do agree with @Lost_In_Translation in the fact letting Williams go would be the better choice. This defensive line class makes it easier to replace Williams.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think with the injuries and his ability to not stay healthy coupled with the four game suspension last year, it's hard to justify his $15M cap hit for this season.

Though I do agree with @Lost_In_Translation in the fact letting Williams go would be the better choice. This defensive line class makes it easier to replace Williams.
Jimmy Smith had a $13M cap hit this past season, add 2 more years and lessen the cap hit. There are worse players on our roster who can be easily released if you want to open up some cap.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think it’s going to happen which blows.

I’m sorry. If you give me the choice between June 1st cutting Williams or keeping Jimmy, who roughly cost the same, Jimmy is the far superior player. You keep him. Williams isn’t even the best NT on the roster, let alone defensive lineman
Jimmy needs to stay man, decosta would be starting his days off on a fucking ugly note if he did this, idiot knee jerk fans who can’t evaluate a cb play to save their lives would praise it, because jimmy got burnt once or twice very early on and that’s all they know of him, but when a starter goes down and we have a practice squad caliber guy starting, they will realize how important jimmy was.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
And so the outlandish speculation begins...

It’s fun to think about it but it won’t happen. Bell wants money, the ravens won’t wanna put it out, and for good reason. Sure it would be a historically great rushing offense, probably shatter every rushing record in the book, but bell has too much mileage and hasn’t always had the most common sense off the field, and his first priority is money. Too big of a risk and I doubt decosta even considers it for a second.

The only way it happens is if bell declares himself on a revenge tour and lowers his asking price to shit on the Steelers

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Also...

Thoughts on whether bell is actually a good fit? Obviously he’s a good fit anywhere as he’s just a supreme talent, but we need powerful quick hitters, getting and going, Bell is an extremely patient jump cutter, doesn’t get the ball and hit the hole hard and quick.