• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

A1A

Veteran
I mostly agree with that although I doubt we keep 7 (would mean we likely only keep 6 corners and barring injuries I don’t see us keeping fewer than 7 cbs)

Personally I hope we keep Hollywood, Snead, Boykin, Moore, Lesley and Wesley but I think one of Lesley/Wesley likely gets beaten out by Roberts (or floyd although he looks really slow in the OTA videos I’ve seen of him so far)

This years WR's are probably the best we've had on paper. I see 8 guys that could make a NFL team.

I see it Boykin, Moore, Scott, Brown, Snead, and Robert's. With Wesley and Smith getting IR'ed. Moore has a prove it year coming up and if he shits the bed then one of those 2 will take his place in 2020. Now if one of those 6 get hurt then Lasley has a spot otherwise dudes playing on another team. Floyd's done and Horn Jr. Needs to turn super sayion for Harbs to notice him.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
rewatching the week 16 chargers game and you know who might be better than we all think, specifically as a pass rusher... is tyus bowser. in his few snaps im keying in on him, and im seeing some good shit from him, he doesnt time his pass rush moves perfectly, but the moves are there, and the athleticism and the reach is showing up and paying off, and hes far more physical than we seem to realize(hes not a physical rusher by any means but hes not as soft at the arc as we claim he is).

in the third quarter he had what couldve and shouldve been 2 consecutive sacks, first off the strong side where he beat the RT around the arc with a great jump and bend but rivers steps up in the pocket and bowser cuts back across the RTs face, swipes at the ball but rivers tucks, and he then pursues him as rivers climbs the pocket and it becomes a bowser tackle for 1 yard gain rather than a sack. the following play he gets a solid first step and rushes wide, then as he closes the distance between he and the LT he does a double hand swipe, he does it a little early but he also came in with a strong head on engage and put the tackle on his heels, bowser begins to bull the LT and he recovers his arms and blatantly bearhugs bowser as he gets bulled into rivers lap, knocks rivers out of his comfort zone and urban comes in on clean up duty for the sack, but without that blatant bearhug bowser easily gets the sack there.

next series in the fourth, second and 10, only 2 bowser snaps later, he rushes tight, brings the tackle in close and benchpresses him wide, COMPLETE disengage almost instantly, closing in on rivers he puts his hands up and forces rivers to put some air under a quick hitch, ball travels slow enough for humphrey to close in and break it up

late in the fourth, 3rd and 5 chargers driving for the first time all night, defense looks to be breaking, clearly in fg range, bowser splis the B gap and the tackle latches on to drive him all the way across the pocket, leaving his side WIDE open for any potential stunts, urban was actually making his way around to shoot that side. no effect on the end result as zadarius smith just crashed the whole show with a inside rush from the opposite side for a deep sack, but definitely impacted the pocket.

im gonna keep watching the rest of this offseason and see if i can see more examples of bowser being sneaky good. because ive been thoroughly disappointed with bowser thus far, but rewatching an entire game for the first time this year im really liking what i see from him.
What are you using to rewatch games

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
This years WR's are probably the best we've had on paper. I see 8 guys that could make a NFL team.

I see it Boykin, Moore, Scott, Brown, Snead, and Robert's. With Wesley and Smith getting IR'ed. Moore has a prove it year coming up and if he shits the bed then one of those 2 will take his place in 2020. Now if one of those 6 get hurt then Lasley has a spot otherwise dudes playing on another team. Floyd's done and Horn Jr. Needs to turn super sayion for Harbs to notice him.
I like our wr corps.. very very versatile.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
ive seen about every show/movie there is and now that i have the next few days off ive been thinking about watching rewatching some games
Someone who I would strongly suggest keeping a close eye on if you wanna walk away feeling good about some of our replacement players.... peanut. He was way better than I realized. If he didn’t lean too heavily on Mosley and weddles calls then we got ourselves a potential household name on just big plays alone, fucking guy just has a knack for big plays

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Someone who I would strongly suggest keeping a close eye on if you wanna walk away feeling good about some of our replacement players.... peanut. He was way better than I realized. If he didn’t lean too heavily on Mosley and weddles calls then we got ourselves a potential household name on just big plays alone, fucking guy just has a knack for big plays

he was good enough to hold off a spritely kenny young early and then down the stretch became an absolute hero in the middle of our defence - i think it cant be overstated how much playing next to CJ helped him but the clear improvement he made towards the back end of the season can be attributed to more than just CJ obviously

and he just has a knack for making big plays which is invaluable (albeit not necessarily predictive year to year)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
he was good enough to hold off a spritely kenny young early and then down the stretch became an absolute hero in the middle of our defence - i think it cant be overstated how much playing next to CJ helped him but the clear improvement he made towards the back end of the season can be attributed to more than just CJ obviously

and he just has a knack for making big plays which is invaluable (albeit not necessarily predictive year to year)
I can’t say that the snap to snap consistency and well rounded dependable play is there, but goddamn throughout the season I didn’t realize how many plays he was making, rewatching though he really jumps off the film more than anyone.

Another one who’s impact was felt often was Jefferson, he’s a goddamn enforcer on what seems like any run that breaks past a 5 yard gain, and similar to peanut when there is a slow developing screen or a late dump off he is making a lot of plays.

Kenny young I’ve seen some of the issues people have talked about, I’ve seen him bite terribly on play action a few times, even out of shotgun he’s biting. I’m hoping with enough film study he learns to diagnose pre snap and figure out whether it’s PA or a real handoff.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I can’t say that the snap to snap consistency and well rounded dependable play is there, but goddamn throughout the season I didn’t realize how many plays he was making, rewatching though he really jumps off the film more than anyone.

Another one who’s impact was felt often was Jefferson, he’s a goddamn enforcer on what seems like any run that breaks past a 5 yard gain, and similar to peanut when there is a slow developing screen or a late dump off he is making a lot of plays.

Kenny young I’ve seen some of the issues people have talked about, I’ve seen him bite terribly on play action a few times, even out of shotgun he’s biting. I’m hoping with enough film study he learns to diagnose pre snap and figure out whether it’s PA or a real handoff.

honestly of the established guys im most excited to see next year i think Judon's top of my list - him and Marlon

and of the young guns im really excited about a lot of them... the young defensive core of this team is really exciting to think about if even a third of them put it together...

Wormley, Sieler, Willie Henry, Mack, Kenny Young, Timmy, Tyus, Jaylon, Averett, Marshall, Elliott, Clark

because on top of these guys we've got tavon, jefferson, marlon, jimmy, carr, levine, earl thomas, judon, pierce, bwill, peanut

its an exciting and young corps with very few players at all over 30

im really excited about most of these guys - sad that CJ's gone because i think i was one of his biggest advocates on this forum but very excited about what's to come from the young guns behind him

and we have clearly got the best, deepest and most various secondary in the NFL with complementary strengths at every position and a litany of rotational and situational options - at least 4 high quality starting corners (with high level backups), at least 2 high quality starting safeties (with young promising backups) and on top of all that we have the best dime backer in the league

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I can see us cutting Koch and keeping him as a punter. saves us a few mil on the cap
not going to happen. His value to us comes in more than the form of a punter and a holder is extremely important and it shows with Tucker. Besides, not many punt like Koch. I like Vedvik but we are going to be able to trade him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Koch is a legit weapon. With this specific team, we already give teams 2-3 less possessions than they would usually have per week, coffin corner punts inside the 5 with our defense and field position game basically eliminates another 1-2 possessions.

Although our defenses biggest Achilles heel seemed to be taking advantage of a punt inside the 5, seemed like every time it happened a team would break off a 20 yard completion

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Koch is a legit weapon. With this specific team, we already give teams 2-3 less possessions than they would usually have per week, coffin corner punts inside the 5 with our defense and field position game basically eliminates another 1-2 possessions.

Although our defenses biggest Achilles heel seemed to be taking advantage of a punt inside the 5, seemed like every time it happened a team would break off a 20 yard completion

yeah im sure it wasnt actually like that but it sure felt like the defence would be pitching a shutout and then we'd pin the opposing offence inside the 10 and more often than not that would be the drive that got the other team going on offence somehow

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
yeah im sure it wasnt actually like that but it sure felt like the defence would be pitching a shutout and then we'd pin the opposing offence inside the 10 and more often than not that would be the drive that got the other team going on offence somehow
I think just the fact that someone agrees and knows what I’m talking about... shows that it actually was exactly like that lol

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

I always felt like if koch played for pats or dal, he would be getting HOF considerations

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I always felt like if koch played for pats or dal, he would be getting HOF considerations
very rarely do punters get into the HOF. I believe only Ray Guy got into the HOF and that took a very long time. I still remember whenever he punted the announcers would show a hang time stop watch.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Random scenario here...

Lamar doesn’t look good this year, stinks it up really fucking bad, teams got some injuries or whatever, land in the top 5, tua goes first, and then Justin Herbert lands at our pick...

Take him or nah?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Random scenario here...

Lamar doesn’t look good this year, stinks it up really fucking bad, teams got some injuries or whatever, land in the top 5, tua goes first, and then Justin Herbert lands at our pick...

Take him or nah?
NO. GO EDGE OR WIDE RECEIVER. TANK FOR TREVOR 2021.

God. None of you are aware of the plan