• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Id like us to implement (or steal), what we can from the Oklahoma offense and run out of spread more.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Id like us to implement (or steal), what we can from the Oklahoma offense and run out of spread more.
and Roman can run the spread. He implemented spread concepts in San Francisco when Alex Smith finally started to play better back in 2011. I believe that was 2011.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
We already did that last season. OT pull plays mostly and some pass plays in which we pull a Guard.
We basically started to use them more often once Lamar took over

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
and Roman can run the spread. He implemented spread concepts in San Francisco when Alex Smith finally started to play better back in 2011. I believe that was 2011.
It was 2011 and I’m under the impression that Roman basically turned that offense from high profile underachievers to competent nfl players. Alex Smith and Vernon Davis and Michael crabtree were all high first rounders who were looking like they were a year or 2 from just fading out of the league, and when Roman took over in 2011 they all turned into really good players

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
We already did that last season. OT pull plays mostly and some pass plays in which we pull a Guard.
We basically started to use them more often once Lamar took over
Nowhere near as multiple as the college stuff. Oklahoma is so deceptive and nuanced in both the spread run and the passing game. Oklahoma is constantly playing to space and working to exploit a particular region. Clever bash runs, constant motions and bubbles off of orbit.
I saw a play off inside zone where QB and RB show a mesh as if it's inside zone, then the RB lead for the QB keep outside the Oline showed run. In opposite direction for a step then looked to cut off the perceived play side.... Like I said, I think we can borrow a lot from that offense. Everybody runs from spread....there is just a lot of creative stuff going on in college offenses . PLus, we have more playmakers and space ought to be a priority this year more than last.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Nowhere near as multiple as the college stuff. Oklahoma is so deceptive and nuanced in both the spread run and the passing game. Oklahoma is constantly playing to space and working to exploit a particular region. Clever bash runs, constant motions and bubbles off of orbit.
I saw a play off inside zone where QB and RB show a mesh as if it's inside zone, then the RB lead for the QB keep outside the Oline showed run. In opposite direction for a step then looked to cut off the perceived play side.... Like I said, I think we can borrow a lot from that offense. Everybody runs from spread....there is just a lot of creative stuff going on in college offenses . PLus, we have more playmakers and space ought to be a priority this year more than last.
Is Greg Roman adept at creating space in the passing game? That’s not something I’ve ever looked into

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Is Greg Roman adept at creating space in the passing game? That’s not something I’ve ever looked into
I'm not sure either. I am just going off how basic our route combination have been for years. There is never an effort to exploit a coverage or gain an advantage through matchup the way some teams do through motions, runs , mesh routes, etc. rarely a conscious effort to place defenders in a bind through any sort of smash concept. Too often it feels that we let defenses dictate to us and play into their hands.
Based on the following comments from Roman, I'm hopeful that we'll be seeing major change:

"That’s another thing we want to do is make a lot more big plays in the passing game. Take advantage of these looks we’re getting from defenses, who are basically stacking everybody up in there and playing a modified 6-2 defense.” (Roman)

If we can throw( along with run) from spread formation we'll be almost unstoppable.

Last edited:

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm really going to be upset if we don't use a lot more trick plays this year I'm not gonna lie. We have so much to account for it'd be great to throw wrenches in.

Chris Moore will throw a Td pass this year, book it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It was 2011 and I’m under the impression that Roman basically turned that offense from high profile underachievers to competent nfl players. Alex Smith and Vernon Davis and Michael crabtree were all high first rounders who were looking like they were a year or 2 from just fading out of the league, and when Roman took over in 2011 they all turned into really good players
exactly

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
20190527_232243.jpg

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Did Hayden Hurst get fat or get ripped. I can't tell
Twitter report came out from Mink saying he put on 20 pounds of muscle... in 5 months. Something that should be physically impossible, but hey, what do I know?

Hurst says he feels like it will help him protect his ankle. I worry though because part of Hurst's appeal is that he was good after the catch in college and had some moves like a WR. Did he get too big.

Whatever. In before a certain member returns claiming he can do better

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Twitter report came out from Mink saying he put on 20 pounds of muscle... in 5 months. Something that should be physically impossible, but hey, what do I know?

Hurst says he feels like it will help him protect his ankle. I worry though because part of Hurst's appeal is that he was good after the catch in college and had some moves like a WR. Did he get too big.

Whatever. In before a certain member returns claiming he can do better
I'm hoping that twitter report is exaggerating or using an old weight of Hurst when comparing it to the current one. I wouldn't mind Hurst being a big, Algae Crumpler type of TE, but that's not really what he was drafted to be. We got him for his quickness and ability to gain yards after the catch, on top of strong blocking ability. He should be the lightning to Andrews' thunder.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I'm hoping that twitter report is exaggerating or using an old weight of Hurst when comparing it to the current one. I wouldn't mind Hurst being a big, Algae Crumpler type of TE, but that's not really what he was drafted to be. We got him for his quickness and ability to gain yards after the catch, on top of strong blocking ability. He should be the lightning to Andrews' thunder.
Harbaugh said he looks as fast and most of what he gained was in the upper body..

Hurst himself claims he's at 265.. 20 pounds heavier than his combine weight.

If he's still as fast and he's that big with pads on, then he put on healthy weight and not just pure bulk and at that point, he's a caged animal.

Hurst gets a lot of shit for where we drafted him, and I still would've taken Hernandez over him, but honestly he's the perfect TE for Greg Roman right now. He effectively will act as Maxx's replacement and play the H-Back role, and you can play him in-line or in the slot as well. His impact not he team is likely going to go beyond the stat sheet. And even then, when you did give him opportunities last year, rare as they were with a run-first QB, he looked very good at times as a receiver, making a handful of tough grabs and some good plays after the catch.

If he stays healthy he's easily my breakout candidate of the year. That injury kind of fucked him up because unlike some other injured rookies(Kaufausi and Perriman, though we did Breshad dirty), Hurst is a finished product and is already a good football player. Just needs to stay healthy

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Harbaugh said he looks as fast and most of what he gained was in the upper body..

Hurst himself claims he's at 265.. 20 pounds heavier than his combine weight.

If he's still as fast and he's that big with pads on, then he put on healthy weight and not just pure bulk and at that point, he's a caged animal.

Hurst gets a lot of shit for where we drafted him, and I still would've taken Hernandez over him, but honestly he's the perfect TE for Greg Roman right now. He effectively will act as Maxx's replacement and play the H-Back role, and you can play him in-line or in the slot as well. His impact not he team is likely going to go beyond the stat sheet. And even then, when you did give him opportunities last year, rare as they were with a run-first QB, he looked very good at times as a receiver, making a handful of tough grabs and some good plays after the catch.

If he stays healthy he's easily my breakout candidate of the year. That injury kind of fucked him up because unlike some other injured rookies(Kaufausi and Perriman, though we did Breshad dirty), Hurst is a finished product and is already a good football player. Just needs to stay healthy
And now that we know HH is roided, that Boyle contract will turn out real cheap.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Not sure how to feel about hurst gaining. He was a super quick and sneaky fast guy and that was always his strong suit, along with being a power runner with the ball in hand. contested catches have never really been his thing, and when a receiver bulls up that’s the first thing that comes to mind, being able to body up better, and I just don’t think hurst really has that skill set.

This may hurt his separation, which is bad, but it may also help him be even more of a YAC weapon since he was a bitch to tackle when he’s got a head of steam. Although I did see him topple over a couple of times, the reverse field throw from lamar vs the raiders is one that comes to mind where he’s just lovetapped and he goes down like a sack of potatoes, so maybe this was needed?

Idk... I don’t have the best feeling about it. It seems we have this happen a lot where a certain player feels they need to add weight and they lose part of what made them good in the process

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Not sure how to feel about hurst gaining. He was a super quick and sneaky fast guy and that was always his strong suit, along with being a power runner with the ball in hand. contested catches have never really been his thing, and when a receiver bulls up that’s the first thing that comes to mind, being able to body up better, and I just don’t think hurst really has that skill set.

This may hurt his separation, which is bad, but it may also help him be even more of a YAC weapon since he was a bitch to tackle when he’s got a head of steam. Although I did see him topple over a couple of times, the reverse field throw from lamar vs the raiders is one that comes to mind where he’s just lovetapped and he goes down like a sack of potatoes, so maybe this was needed?

Idk... I don’t have the best feeling about it. It seems we have this happen a lot where a certain player feels they need to add weight and they lose part of what made them good in the process
From all reports indicated he looks just as fast as he used to be. If that’s true in pads then there’s nothing to complain about.