• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
One thing I don't get is how they compare Allen to Lamar.
"he's a rb and the defense carried Lamar, he can't throw..." however Allen scrambled a lot more than Lamar who's got most of his running yards from designed runs.
Allen has also had a a top 5 defense but he didn't lead them to the playoffs.
We all know that Lamar has some flaws, but this is ridiculous
One common argument among Bills fans regarding Allen is the lack of o-line as he was running for his life. I don't watch Bills games except the beatdown we gave them week 1, but yeah.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
One common argument among Bills fans regarding Allen is the lack of o-line as he was running for his life. I don't watch Bills games except the beatdown we gave them week 1, but yeah.
But the ravens don’t get that excuse because according to the media we have one of the better OLs in the league. Guess a gimmick offense and an elite rushing talent at qb getting some ground yards manufactured means your OL was blocking great

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
But the ravens don’t get that excuse because according to the media we have one of the better OLs in the league. Guess a gimmick offense and an elite rushing talent at qb getting some ground yards manufactured means your OL was blocking great

I mean not to be the one defending the media but it was pretty common knowledge that the Ravens needed help along to interior OLine which is why so many analysts were mocking interior OLine players to the Ravens in the early parts of the draft

A1A

Veteran
1. Paradis still isn’t a scheme fit. No matter how hard you try. He’d be an upgrade sure(anyone is over Skura), but not a fit. On power plays(which is what we run most of the time) he’d get blown up. Not a good argument
2. That money spent on Earl Thomas is money that is better spent on Earl Thomas. So no. Earl Thomas changes your entire secondary. Paradis is a good player, but he doesn’t change your entire line.
3. Confidence in SKURA LOL. Post your research. He can’t even anchor. He was the reason we couldn’t run the ball without Lamar Jackson.
4. We have a C on the roster in Bozeman that Harbaugh refuses to start.
5. Who the fuck would the Redskins want from us? We have a bunch of unproven guys and Matt Judon who I’m sure is only thought of highly within this fanbase.

I agree, an upgrade on the oline is necessary because this team has been moronic in building it. But at least propose semi-realistic solutions.

I saw some videos where his play is broken down. Then I watched some old games to confirm what they were saying. Skura shows good foot work and never looks lost out there. Now if u want to chop the guy down for not being a super strong pro bowler u wasting to much energy bro. Hes better than alot of starting centers in the NFL. He doesn't play DB hes a center and centers are like fine wine..cough Jeff Saturday cough cough Matt Paradis cough both of them were Skura before Skura was Skura.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I'm sure non-Ravens fans were probably using that argument as well not knowing our interior o-line was mid. But to use their energy, Josh Allen is a RB/FB playing QB until further notice.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I saw some videos where his play is broken down. Then I watched some old games to confirm what they were saying. Skura shows good foot work and never looks lost out there. Now if u want to chop the guy down for not being a super strong pro bowler u wasting to much energy bro. Hes better than alot of starting centers in the NFL. He doesn't play DB hes a center and centers are like fine wine..cough Jeff Saturday cough cough Matt Paradis cough both of them were Skura before Skura was Skura.
Saturday and Paradis could/can anchor. Skura can't.

When did I say I want a super strong hall of famer. You want to put words in my mouth? That's cool. I don't need us to have an all pro at C. Matt Birk was an old man and nothing more than serviceable and was 1000 times the player. We need a serviceable guy at the WORST. He really isn't better than most starting Cs in the league. PFF agrees, the tape agrees. Only one who doesn't seem to is Harbaugh, who's judgement is so great that Hurst is still set to be the starter at LG.

Sure, solid footwork. Can't... anchor.. at... all. Even for a zone center he'd be weak in that department.

I can name so many centers that are better than he is in total. (In no particular order). Centers that are better than Skura regardless of scheme fit.
  1. Travis Frederick
  2. Jason Kelce
  3. Matt Paradis
  4. Weston Richburg
  5. Ryan Jensen(yes, he is. Will be once Arinas saves that team)
  6. Cody Whitehair
  7. Maurkice Pouncey
  8. David Andrews
  9. Ryan Kelly
  10. Evan Boehem(yes, the colts' backup C is better than our starting one)
  11. Mitch Morse
  12. Alex Mack
  13. Graham Glasgow
  14. JC Tretter
  15. Brandon Linder
  16. Rodney Hudson
  17. Corey Linsley
So that's 17, just off of the top of my head that are better than Skura.

Players who were rookies last year or this year, that will likely be better than Skura this upcoming season
  1. Billy Price
  2. James Daniels
  3. Frank Ragnow
  4. Erik McCoy
  5. Garrett Bradburry.
That's 22 players total. bUt skUrA Is bEttEr thAn mOst stArtIng centers. Most of those rookies from last year will likely surpass him this year. Unlike Skura, THEY HAVE UPSIDE.

He's awful. He's not Gino Gradkowski bad. But he's awful. He's not even average. He hasn't gotten better every year. He should not be starting. He singlehandedly tanked our run game before Lamar came in.

Give me a fucking break.

A1A

Veteran
Saturday and Paradis could/can anchor. Skura can't.

When did I say I want a super strong hall of famer. You want to put words in my mouth? That's cool. I don't need us to have an all pro at C. Matt Birk was an old man and nothing more than serviceable and was 1000 times the player. We need a serviceable guy at the WORST. He really isn't better than most starting Cs in the league. PFF agrees, the tape agrees. Only one who doesn't seem to is Harbaugh, who's judgement is so great that Hurst is still set to be the starter at LG.

Sure, solid footwork. Can't... anchor.. at... all. Even for a zone center he'd be weak in that department.

I can name so many centers that are better than he is in total. (In no particular order). Centers that are better than Skura regardless of scheme fit.
  1. Travis Frederick
  2. Jason Kelce
  3. Matt Paradis
  4. Weston Richburg
  5. Ryan Jensen(yes, he is. Will be once Arinas saves that team)
  6. Cody Whitehair
  7. Maurkice Pouncey
  8. David Andrews
  9. Ryan Kelly
  10. Evan Boehem(yes, the colts' backup C is better than our starting one)
  11. Mitch Morse
  12. Alex Mack
  13. Graham Glasgow
  14. JC Tretter
  15. Brandon Linder
  16. Rodney Hudson
  17. Corey Linsley
So that's 17, just off of the top of my head that are better than Skura.

Players who were rookies last year or this year, that will likely be better than Skura this upcoming season
  1. Billy Price
  2. James Daniels
  3. Frank Ragnow
  4. Erik McCoy
  5. Garrett Bradburry.
That's 22 players total. bUt skUrA Is bEttEr thAn mOst stArtIng centers. Most of those rookies from last year will likely surpass him this year. Unlike Skura, THEY HAVE UPSIDE.

He's awful. He's not Gino Gradkowski bad. But he's awful. He's not even average. He hasn't gotten better every year. He should not be starting. He singlehandedly tanked our run game before Lamar came in.

Give me a fucking break.

Yikes!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I mean not to be the one defending the media but it was pretty common knowledge that the Ravens needed help along to interior OLine which is why so many analysts were mocking interior OLine players to the Ravens in the early parts of the draft
But have you watched media coverage or predictions for the ravens in 2019? Not one analyst out there says the ravens have anything less than a good OL

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
But have you watched media coverage or predictions for the ravens in 2019? Not one analyst out there says the ravens have anything less than a good OL
We have 3/5ths of a good oline. Future hall of fame guard, a franchise LT, and a good RT with tons of upside.

Replacing Hurst and Skura with average players *cough *Powers and Bozeman* and that's a top 5 oline. You don't need an elite oline, but you need better than fucking bums like we have right now

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
We have 3/5ths of a good oline. Future hall of fame guard, a franchise LT, and a good RT with tons of upside.

Replacing Hurst and Skura with average players *cough *Powers and Bozeman* and that's a top 5 oline. You don't need an elite oline, but you need better than fucking bums like we have right now
3/5ths of a good line but 2/3rds of the interior is an absolute liability, which is a bad deal for a team that runs the ball 50% of the time

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Still...we drafted this guy if I'm not mistaken. If hes not throwing the ball then wtf we need him for? We have enough talent at those positions. The saints didnt have a TE or FB we do.

Actually he is throwing the ball but he's just doing more than just that. Honestly even The Saints didnt really need Taysom Hill or should I say a third string quarterback last year. They already have one of the best quarterbacks in the league in Drew Brees and probably have the best back up quarterback in the league in Teddy Bridgewater but they still found a way to make Taysom Hill work for their offense and team...Regardless of them not having a tightend or fullback they didnt really need Taysom Hill. The Ravens fullback situation isnt clear and The Ravens may end up just using Hayden Hurst or Nick Boyle at fullback at times anyway.

Cyrus Jones is The Ravens best punt returner but he hasnt been able to practice yet . Chris Moore is The Ravens best kick returner but he may end up starting for The Ravens which may leave him little room to play on special teams.That in it self opens the door for guy like Trace McSorley to show what he's got. I really dont why this is look upon as a issue or problem.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Actually he is throwing the ball but he's just doing more than just that. Honestly even The Saints didnt really need Taysom Hill or should I say a third string quarterback last year. They already have one of the best quarterbacks in the league in Drew Brees and probably have the best back up quarterback in the league in Teddy Bridgewater but they still found a way to make Taysom Hill work for their offense and team...Regardless of them not having a tightend or fullback they didnt really need Taysom Hill. The Ravens fullback situation isnt clear and The Ravens may end up just using Hayden Hurst or Nick Boyle at fullback at times anyway.

Cyrus Jones is The Ravens best punt returner but he hasnt been able to practice yet . Chris Moore is The Ravens best kick returner but he may end up starting for The Ravens which may leave him little room to play on special teams.That in it self opens the door for guy like Trace McSorley to show what he's got. I really dont why this is look upon as a issue or problem.
Chris moore is a terrible Kr imo

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
but skura is clearly better than most Cs in the league.

Obviously he's not but I don't think Skura can't get better. His performance against The Chargers in the playoffs last year wasn't bad at all. Last year was his first year starting at center after starting at right guard for The Ravens in 2017. He's shown up to minicamp much bigger after adding more muscle to his frame and I don't think he plays with bad technique. Hopefully the added muscles helps with his run blocking and his ability to handle bigger defensive tackles.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Obviously he's not but I don't think Skura can't get better. His performance against The Chargers in the playoffs last year wasn't bad at all. Last year was his first year starting at center after starting at right guard for The Ravens in 2017. He's shown up to minicamp much bigger after adding more muscle to his frame and I don't think he plays with bad technique. Hopefully the added muscles helps with his run blocking and his ability to handle bigger defensive tackles.
I’ve heard literally nothing about him getting much bigger. I just looked on twitter. Found nothing. I doubt it. He...cannot... anchor.

I’ll admit that I’m wrong if I am. But I fucking doubt it. There is nothing that I’ve seen that indicates that he won’t be anything more than garbage. He was bad at G, he was worse at C. He’s solid as a pass protector, he’s a fucking terrible run blocker.

Harbaugh needs to get a clue.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I’ve looked all over. He doesn’t look any bigger.

So yeah. No faith restored. Skura can fuck off until he shows me something.

Start Bozeman please

rossihunter2

Staff Member

further to that its not like hes been guaranteed a spot on the 53 - he will win his way onto the 53 not by throwing or by playing on offence but first and foremost by being a good special teamer - and if he cant do that then he wont make the team so any debate is kind of moot around whether we should or not - his value comes on whether he fits into the first team special teams unit and then off the back of that he becomes a valid threat in the fake game and on coverages in general

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This is the only time I’ve heard of this