• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
PI is PI. you can have clear blatant PI that is hidden from the refs, it should still be called. ticky tack, close calls, nah, but for example the kinda shit lardarius webb used to do(he was real slick at binding up one hand and not getting called) needs to be called, its still total interference and its bullshit that players can get away with blatantly breaking rules and high profile games will have results altered by it.

the saints shouldve been in the super bowl, point blank period, and as a result of that terribly missed call, we had possibly the worst super bowl of all time, that game was pathetic and i couldnt even pay attention for most of it.

Doesn't matter how bad the Super Bowl is if you don't watch it....#StayWoke

But yeah, the Saints got robbed and this new rule should prevent something like that from ever happening again. I'm a bit concerned about how the officials will handle the close calls (if they start overturning these judgment calls then it's going to spark outrage from whatever team it ends up inevitably screwing over), but it's still a necessary rule change IMO.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Doesn't matter how bad the Super Bowl is if you don't watch it....#StayWoke

But yeah, the Saints got robbed and this new rule should prevent something like that from ever happening again. I'm a bit concerned about how the officials will handle the close calls (if they start overturning these judgment calls then it's going to spark outrage from whatever team it ends up inevitably screwing over), but it's still a necessary rule change IMO.
pretty simple imo, stick with the rule, if theres any doubt, stands as called. if it could go either way, stands as called, if its "technically" interference but extremely ticky tack(as in there was contact but not real interference) then dont call it.

Tank

Hall of Famer
The PI thing goes both ways. A. Brown has made a career out of offensive PI. About time he got caught, if he plays again. lol

purp

Practice Squad
I think it’s a slippery slope but the answer is certainly not “do nothing.”

I don’t totally agree with JF’s characterization that “gamesmanship” as it were should all be called. If you extrapolated that logic then you’d also need to start calling holding on every play.

You could argue that PI creates higher leverage situations but is holding downfield really any different than holding a DT to prevent a sack on 3rd down?

However the worst has happened with how things went for the Saints last year so it must be addressed. Personally, I would like more 360 cameras on the field. (Perhaps drones?). More eyes and more resources tracking the technical aspects of the game would be a huge step forward.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I’d rather add more reg. season if we have to add anything

I'd much rather see more playoff games than regular season games.

We NBA now bois

I was just going to say, if they added two more teams they may have to just seed the top 7 teams in each conference by record with divisions not meaning as much just like The NBA. Then the BYE week is gone for the two seed as they would now play the seventh seed during wild card weekend.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd much rather see more playoff games than regular season games.

I was just going to say, if they added two more teams they may have to just seed the top 7 teams in each conference by record with divisions not meaning as much just like The NBA. Then the BYE week is gone for the two seed as they would now play the seventh seed during wild card weekend.

They could add an extra week of playoffs and have the 6th and 7th seeds play each other while keeping everything else the same. This would make it harder for WC teams to go on a run, but would allow the top 2 seeds to keep their byes.

I'm not a fan of adding any more playoff teams, but it's probably inevitable.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
The #1 thing the NFLPA should be fighting for is better benefits. The salaries really are ok imo.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
They could add an extra week of playoffs and have the 6th and 7th seeds play each other while keeping everything else the same. This would make it harder for WC teams to go on a run, but would allow the top 2 seeds to keep their byes.

I'm not a fan of adding any more playoff teams, but it's probably inevitable.

One big problem with this is the amount of games the 6th and 7th teams would play if they made it to the SB.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think it’s a slippery slope but the answer is certainly not “do nothing.”

I don’t totally agree with JF’s characterization that “gamesmanship” as it were should all be called. If you extrapolated that logic then you’d also need to start calling holding on every play.

You could argue that PI creates higher leverage situations but is holding downfield really any different than holding a DT to prevent a sack on 3rd down?

However the worst has happened with how things went for the Saints last year so it must be addressed. Personally, I would like more 360 cameras on the field. (Perhaps drones?). More eyes and more resources tracking the technical aspects of the game would be a huge step forward.
its not about gamesmanship necessarily, just fair competition, and i look at it quite differently than holding. holding is something that happens on every play unintentionally 9 times out of 10, its when it appears blatant or done out of desperation that it usually gets called(and often time for no reason at all), but PI is often a very blatant yet hidden and subtle thing, DBs getting beat and purposely grabbing the wrist while he shields the view from the ref is something that should be called.

trust me im not talking about little shit like bumping guys or making contact while fighting for the ball, i dont want every single technical aspect of PI to be weighed in the challenges, but ive never been a fan of DBs wrist grabbing and armbarring when they get beat. and i think college is pretty despicable too, encouraging PI whenever you get beat by taking 15 instead of 6. PI is such a massive game changer in football and its about time we get to a place where we can take those egregious season altering calls and get them right

rossihunter2

Staff Member
yeah if they expand to 7 teams in each conference i dont think anything really changes format-wise - the #2 seed loses the bye (which kinda makes sense anyway), and it creates a 3rd wild card team which stops the problems of years where the 11-5 eagles miss the playoffs but the 7-9 panthers make it - now they would both make it

purp

Practice Squad
Anybody else ever go back and just watch the last 4 plays of week 17 against the Browns?

So glad we got Nance and Romo for that game. A few gems to jog the memory:

“Baker better get this ball out quick because I’m tellin’ ya they’re coming after ya.”

“It’s just so hard to go late in games against this defense without something incredible happening.”

“This number one defense, in the league, put the team on its back.”

“HEARTS ARE BROKEN IN PITTSBURGH!”

God what a great high note to an improbable run.