• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
How much is Carrs option, if its similar to Youngs cap hit would we keep both?

Also TJ was extended for special teams and his speed in sub packages do you really think we'll cut him? Tony Jeffersons contract is awful too.
Young was just extended last year and is one of the better slot corners in the league and of course we will keep him and yes, I see us keeping both of them. HIs cap hit is 7m and if you cut him prior to the new league year the Ravens would have 1m in dead cap, so the savings would be 6m. He is easily worth 6m, especially with his flexibility to play all over the defensive secondary, whether that be boundary, slot or safety. That's an incredible advantage to have and it would be a mistake to let him go. He will become a free agent in 2021.

Regarding Tony Jefferson, he was replaced by Clark and the defense has improved tremendously. He is extremely intelligent and great a getting everyone lined up correctly. He is essentially doing what Eric Weddle did last year. Tony Jefferson would be coming into his final year of his contract and we save 7m by cutting him. It's a no brainer if you ask me.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Anyone know a place to buy authentic jerseys from third party stores that 100% real? I want to get a speed machine jersey but they're sold out and while it looks like some 3rd party stores do carry them, I can't completely trust that they're authentic.

http://www.officialauthenticravensprostore.com/ This site claims to be 100% authentic, but the prices seem too good to be true. If anyone has a site to recommend, please let me know.

Young was just extended last year and is one of the better slot corners in the league and of course we will keep him and yes, I see us keeping both of them. HIs cap hit is 7m and if you cut him prior to the new league year the Ravens would have 1m in dead cap, so the savings would be 6m. He is easily worth 6m, especially with his flexibility to play all over the defensive secondary, whether that be boundary, slot or safety. That's an incredible advantage to have and it would be a mistake to let him go. He will become a free agent in 2021.

Regarding Tony Jefferson, he was replaced by Clark and the defense has improved tremendously. He is extremely intelligent and great a getting everyone lined up correctly. He is essentially doing what Eric Weddle did last year. Tony Jefferson would be coming into his final year of his contract and we save 7m by cutting him. It's a no brainer if you ask me.

I know we're keeping Young the question was more would we keep Carr as well, we have the best CB group in the league but theres a lot of money that needs to go around, we have to pay Peters then figure out what to do with Jimmy Smiths cap.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I know we're keeping Young the question was more would we keep Carr as well, we have the best CB group in the league but theres a lot of money that needs to go around, we have to pay Peters then figure out what to do with Jimmy Smiths cap.
go it. Also, if we cut TJ and let Jimmy Smith go doesn't mean we need to spend it this offseason. We most likely will find players to use the money on, like Peters and Judon, but that money would get pushed forward into other years if it wasn't used. ie rollover cap

Tank

Hall of Famer
Anyone know a place to buy authentic jerseys from third party stores that 100% real? I want to get a speed machine jersey but they're sold out and while it looks like some 3rd party stores do carry them, I can't completely trust that they're authentic.

http://www.officialauthenticravensprostore.com/ This site claims to be 100% authentic, but the prices seem too good to be true. If anyone has a site to recommend, please let me know.
Looks like a Chinese store to me.
Here’s the Ravens’ store. https://shop.baltimoreravens.com/?_s=bm-ravens-topnav-61118

Have had good luck here in the past. https://www.fanatics.com/

rossihunter2

Staff Member

so jimmy wont count against the cap next year unless we re-sign him - i think we only re-sign him at a bit of a discount because of age and injuries etc. and itll be on him as to whether he wants to stay in baltimore or see if he can get more money on the market - interestingly there have already been tentative talks about extending him earlier this season/the offseason so clearly the team has an interest in keeping him here

carr will only cost 6m (which is what he's cost the last 3 years) and tavon's already under contract

for me the only decisions are really whether we sign jimmy or peters - i dont think we can bring back both not in the least because all of a sudden we've got so many starting corners we literally wouldnt be able to put them all on the field even if we tried

we've also got more projected cap space than we've had since the CBA was restructured - that doesnt mean we keep everyone but it does mean that if we value the secondary more than the front 7 (and it appears that philosophically at this point we do) that we can prioritise that and have the money to do so

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I mean close to LoS.

it's more about the looks we're giving and where his starting position is - of course he made plays at the LoS in Seattle but the coverages and the defensive system there didnt give him many opportunities to line up close to the LoS - he has 8 career qb hits and 0 sacks and 3 of those qb hits have come with this ravens team this year

there's no question he's lining up and being used differently than in seattle - just think about how we line up in dime at this point - he was always the deep free safety in seattle - here he shifts into a strong safety role with brandon carr playing the free safety role in many of those situations

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Quote from Steven Ruiz's usatoday article that i found particularly interesting:

That positional shift [moving closer to the LoS] has helped Thomas immensely. He was perfectly suited for the role of centerfield safety in Seattle’s defense but that deep positioning did limit his play-making opportunities. That’s no longer the case, and Thomas is now a more disruptive force, and I’d even go as far as to say he’s a more valuable player now than he ever was in Seattle because of it.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/11/baltimore-ravens-defense-john-harbaugh-adjustments
That last sentence 100% false. If anything could be equally valuable but def not more

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
upload_2019-11-21_11-14-31.png