• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Tank

Hall of Famer
an important note on some of those fullbacks is that they've become fairly multiple
  • juice is a multi-purpose back who's part tight end, part running back, part fullback
  • Ricard plays in all 3 phases
  • Elandon Roberts plays both offence and defence for the pats
Right. Juice was used in a similar manner in Baltimore as well.

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
Did Iman Marshall play last week at all? If so, how did he do?
I never saw him, but that's not a bad thing for a corner's name not to get called by the announcers.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Did Iman Marshall play last week at all? If so, how did he do?
I never saw him, but that's not a bad thing for a corner's name not to get called by the announcers.

he had 3 snaps on defence - pretty sure it was when marcus peters came up gimpy one time during the game - otherwise not sure he's had any defensive snaps all year

was brought back onto the 53 mostly because of special teams tbh after we started haemorrhaging good special teams players mid-way through the season - he and trawick both

averett got most of the relief snaps at corner against the steelers

Sure, but the guys they've hired are typically viewed as "QB guru's" who they bring in to transform an existing or future franchise QB into something special. Zac Taylor, Sean McVay, Kliff Kingsbury, etc.

I agree with JoeyFlex's sentiment... a team bringing him in is going to have to have a desire in 2020 to run the ball and run it a lot. They have to want to build their offense that way, which does, typically, go counter-intuitive to how teams in the modern NFL want to play offense. That's not to say it can't be done, because teams like SF and BAL have clearly shown everybody how you can run the ball, play good defense, and win in this league. But I think teams are much more enamored with the KC Chiefs style of offense than the Greg Roman style of offense.
And whether fair or not - if we face KC in the AFCC those 2 styles of offense will be measured by many given the result of that game. If we come up short there will be those who say “see that style of play doesn’t work”. If we win there will be more people buying into “the revolution “.

he's also been fairly open to the idea in the last year or so to taking a sort of hometown discount - clearly wants to spend his entire career here but that ultimately the situation will sort itself out

imagine this secondary next year if we did somehow retain jimmy (would probably mean not picking up brandon carr's option) - you'd have marlon, peters and jimmy all at outside corner, tavon as the nickel, earl and chuck and the only thing you're missing is the 2nd safety with ET in the dime package when chuck comes downhill but that might be deshon elliott (who played that role really effectively in the 1st game after TJ got injured)
Yeah I think we decide it’s either Jimmy or Carr. If we sign Jimmy we’ll be using cash from Carr’s release and if we let Jimmy walk we’ll hold onto Carr.

Jimmy is a much better corner but I wonder if Carr’s ability to play safety gives him an edge.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he's also been fairly open to the idea in the last year or so to taking a sort of hometown discount - clearly wants to spend his entire career here but that ultimately the situation will sort itself out

imagine this secondary next year if we did somehow retain jimmy (would probably mean not picking up brandon carr's option) - you'd have marlon, peters and jimmy all at outside corner, tavon as the nickel, earl and chuck and the only thing you're missing is the 2nd safety with ET in the dime package when chuck comes downhill but that might be deshon elliott (who played that role really effectively in the 1st game after TJ got injured)
even if Jimmy gives us a hometown discount, say 2 yr deal at 7 to 8m per season, we still should have no problem taking Brandon Carr's option and not having any problem extending Stanley.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeah I think we decide it’s either Jimmy or Carr. If we sign Jimmy we’ll be using cash from Carr’s release and if we let Jimmy walk we’ll hold onto Carr.

Jimmy is a much better corner but I wonder if Carr’s ability to play safety gives him an edge.
Not likely with Elliott and Levine on the roster as extra depth if needed. Carr has been solid but hasn’t necessarily flashed at safety. We have the depth we need.

although Carr strikes me as the type who would find a “second career” by switching to safety ala rod and Charles Woodson.

even if Jimmy gives us a hometown discount, say 2 yr deal at 7 to 8m per season, we still should have no problem taking Brandon Carr's option and not having any problem extending Stanley.
But we still have the question of Iudon as well as Pierce as well as filling out the roster I feel like either Jimmy or Carr will be let go to help with other areas where money is needed.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He’s gotta stay.

levine I feel is low key crucial

A year ago I’d have agreed - he’s lost his role on defence for the most part now and is only really a piece there as a backup dimebacker which means his value is in special teams - now he’s still one of the better special teamers here but he’s also getting older

Not against keeping him but his role on the 53 would be about veteran leadership and special teams

Chris Moore as a free agent is also potentially big loss on teams

Yet another reason why we should hope deshon Elliott can have a fully healthy season - he was crushing it on special teams earlier in the year

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Last week we were discussing the sitting of John Brown and how he could drop to a 5th round comp pick instead of a 4th and as of a few days ago that is how it showed up on the comp pick cancellation chart. However I checked it out again today and it was changed back to a 4th round pick.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Do you know what the rank category is about? Would that mean the previous ranking of the player in his last year with former club supplied by some sort of data? Seems to be big part of formula even moreso than salary.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Do you know what the rank category is about? Would that mean the previous ranking of the player in his last year with former club supplied by some sort of data? Seems to be big part of formula even moreso than salary.
should be in this......read the article at the bottom of the table.

https://overthecap.com/projecting-the-2020-compensatory-picks/

This is one paragraph that talks about the ranking. The above link gives the entire article and is quite informative.

It was suggested via the resolution allowing comp picks to be traded on December 2, 2015 that the cutoffs between each rounds and whether or not a player had an APY high enough to qualify was determined by a “rank[ing] against all players in the League who are on rosters at the end of the season”. I have conjectured from this evidence that the cutoffs are based on a percentile system. After refining the OTC’s program following the official release of the 2017 compensatory picks, it’s my guess that the percentiles operate on even percentages divisible by five, as illustrated in the table below.

Last edited: