• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

The Greek

Veteran
another random thought to fire up some of you. how about trading jimmy smith for a #1 receiver. redskins traded champ bailey for portis and it worked out for both teams. i do not see brittle jimmy ever finishing a season for us and we have lost key games because of his absence like against the pats in 14 and recently against the bengals. have not done the research to see if there would be any dead $$ or how contracts work when traded but if it were to happen we could draft a cb in the 1st or 2nd to replace him or go after a free agent. ok now let me have it!!

redrum52

Hall of Famer
another random thought to fire up some of you. how about trading jimmy smith for a #1 receiver. redskins traded champ bailey for portis and it worked out for both teams. i do not see brittle jimmy ever finishing a season for us and we have lost key games because of his absence like against the pats in 14 and recently against the bengals. have not done the research to see if there would be any dead $$ or how contracts work when traded but if it were to happen we could draft a cb in the 1st or 2nd to replace him or go after a free agent. ok now let me have it!!

No team is trading away a wr for an injury prone cb who's cap hit is about to spike. Close to the cap as well and I think the only space getting rid of him will create is 1.5 mil or something like that. We're stuck with Jimmy until next year at least.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

jimmy smith being cut/traded saves us very little money (i think at most it saves us 2.3 mill or something) which is not worth it in my opinion

i think there are only 2 logical ways to deal with jimmy's contract - extend him to even out his deal and lower the average per year and give him more money up front with a new nice signing bonus - or we take the huge cap hit for the year and then he's cuttable next year...

to me there is only 1 real answer and that's to extend him and flatten out his cap hits - it opens extra cap space this year and locks down jimmy for longer (even if he's not gonna play 16 games id still like him to stay on this team)

i dunno why y'all are unhappy with keeping jimmy - yes he doesnt play 16 games every year but he's an elite level corner in the league - id rather jimmy for 10/11 games than brandon carr for 16 - and yet i also see everyone on this forum trying to cut brandon carr too

so the only impression i have left is that loads of fans dont like cornerbacks...

K-Dog

MVP
Did you not see how our secondary got shredded without Jimmy?

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

It was honestly mostly the Steelers and while a lot of that was Carr being the one on Brown, every other defensive player seemingly forgot how to cover and tackle that game. If you told me a random person put on Jeffersons jersey I would believe you. Not even a random NFL player a random person.

I will not deny though that Jimmy Smith is the ONLY CB in football who just dominates Brown. He dominates him in a way that is just unnatural. Reevis in his prime kind of dominant and I cannot understand why he is able to shut down Brown so hard EVERY single time they play.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
It was honestly mostly the Steelers and while a lot of that was Carr being the one on Brown, every other defensive player seemingly forgot how to cover and tackle that game. If you told me a random person put on Jeffersons jersey I would believe you. Not even a random NFL player a random person.

I will not deny though that Jimmy Smith is the ONLY CB in football who just dominates Brown. He dominates him in a way that is just unnatural. Reevis in his prime kind of dominant and I cannot understand why he is able to shut down Brown so hard EVERY single time they play.
Because 100% healthy Jimmy is flat out the best corner in the league. He dominates everyone. Not just Brown.

The Greek

Veteran
thats the problem!! he is never healthy towards the end of the season. if he could be traded for the #1 proven receiver we need i would do it in a heartbeat and let another team deal with his brittle body. i would rather draft another cb in the 1st to pair with marlon. dont get me wrong he is a top 5 cb when healthy but he is approaching 30 and isnt available when needed the most

K-Dog

MVP
thats the problem!! he is never healthy towards the end of the season. if he could be traded for the #1 proven receiver we need i would do it in a heartbeat and let another team deal with his brittle body. i would rather draft another cb in the 1st to pair with marlon. dont get me wrong he is a top 5 cb when healthy but he is approaching 30 and isnt available when needed the most
So you would rather not have him at all instead of having him for most games?

LiT this is your que.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I didn't want to open up a thread for this, but since we are a week away from the Combine, it's possible the compensatory picks will be announced today to give the teams a chance to begin trade discussions at the Combine.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, the Portis and Bailey trade was beneficial for both parts, we only save 2.3m trading him away and he is good even if he only plays 12 games. I'm keeping Jimmy another couple years or so.

In regards to the Portis / Bailey trade. The only reason that trade ever happened was Bailey's wife caught him with a mistress and she wouldn't allow him to sign with the skins, essentially forcing a trade. If the trade wasn't forced, no way they trade a top CB for a RB, even if it was Clinton Portis.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Honestly, this team doesn't need a true #1 WR; it just needs 2 or 3 guys that can catch the fucking ball so that Joe can spread the ball around and move the chains.

The Greek

Veteran
I didn't want to open up a thread for this, but since we are a week away from the Combine, it's possible the compensatory picks will be announced today to give the teams a chance to begin trade discussions at the Combine.
im hearing they should be announced later this afternoon

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Honestly, this team doesn't need a true #1 WR; it just needs 2 or 3 guys that can catch the fucking ball so that Joe can spread the ball around and move the chains.

that's partly why the offence was so good in 2014 relative to the years around it - we had multiple options - we didnt really have any standouts (although steve smith sr was on fire at times) but we had lots of options - Steve Smith, Torrey Smith, Owen Daniels (+Pitta before he got injured), Justin Forsett, Kamar Aiken, Jacoby Jones, Michael Campanaro, Marlon Brown, Juice - obviously not all of them had incredible yardage totals but every game 2-3 of the non-top-3 guys would pop up and make a couple plays and be viable options