• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
He was the only ram who showed up that game

Might have been partly down to mekari being thrown in there and the disparity in their length (mekari has short arms and Brockers is great at using his length)
Brockers was also pretty rough on Stanley and he was pretty regularly whooping TE's, including Boyle which I haven't seen too often.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The others...

Duane Starks

Matt Elam

Jimmy Smith

1 bust in the 1st round on defence in 25 years... the only other non-pro-bowlers both had key plays in their 2 superbowl wins...

that's pretty amazing
the only thing that has kept Jimmy out of the pro bowl was an injury bug. He's definitely played at a pro bowl caliber during those years though

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
there are times where Raekwon Davis is just awesome...straight up awesome controlling the line of scrimmage and playing the run.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
there are times where Raekwon Davis is just awesome...straight up awesome controlling the line of scrimmage and playing the run.

there are also frequently times when he does absolutely nothing against the pass - he will probably drop in the draft because of that i reckon
it's also worrying how little he developed after his first year - if anything potentially regressing which is not what you'd want to see

but my god there are times when he reminds me a lot of deforest buckner

the ceiling with the measurables is immense but he hasnt shown any evidence he'll get anywhere near that ceiling

id be really hesitant taking him anywhere before the 3rd round but i think he might be gone by then

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
the only thing that has kept Jimmy out of the pro bowl was an injury bug. He's definitely played at a pro bowl caliber during those years though

Duane Starks was also very solid. McAlister was the big name out of the two.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
I'm not sure how the metrics bear this out (so someone can prove me wrong), but I've always thought of Jimmy as a shutdown corner in a fairly true sense - in that he makes his money by the QB looking elsewhere rather than making big plays himself in the way someone like Peters would. It's tough for a guy like that to get a Pro Bowl nod because the whole thing's a glorified popularity contest and he doesn't have a flashy playstyle that gets him on ESPN every other night.

I remember an article on NFL.com a while ago calling Jimmy the "burger flipper" of his draft class because he didn't get enough interceptions or some such. Of course, in that same article the "burger flipper" from another draft class was a guy who had to drop out of the league because he got cancer, so that article was full of shining takes.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Man I totally forgot Miles Boykin is 6'4" and ran a 4.42 and jumped 43.5". That's literal crazy athleticism and with size! Damn, he showed up in practice. I hope natural traits and working hard in practice lead to production on the field.