• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Watching the steelers week 17 game to get a look at ben powers and to see what i think of him vs the 2 guys we just drafted

but peripherally some other things are standing out that i thought i'd share:

James Hurst is awful - single-handedly he's able to ruin plays that are well set-up on a consistent basis

more disappointingly - RGIII cannot operate the passing game - he doesn't see the field well, doesn't have any comfort in the pocket (sees ghosts) and is pretty inaccurate... he's great operating the running game and running it as a field general but we definitely should not be satisfied with our backup situation - there will come a point where his mentorship and leadership are not enough to keep him here in baltimore

LJ Fort is fine but I'm glad we've upgraded at the position enough that he will be part of a platoon and not relied upon

Matt Judon is a man among boys playing against that 1st team Steelers OL

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Some other non-Powers notes:

Justice Hill and Gus Edwards ran really well - their roles both look to reduce with the drafting of Dobbins but they both showed that there's something to them

Parker Ehringer did fine at G and showed some things but I really dont understand why he got any snaps at all in stead of Powers - it's near the end of the 3rd quarter and Ben Powers has only had 2 drives... what's the point of having Ehringer in there?

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Justice Hill and Gus Edwards ran really well - their roles both look to reduce with the drafting of Dobbins but they both showed that there's something to them

Parker Ehringer did fine at G and showed some things but I really dont understand why he got any snaps at all in stead of Powers - it's near the end of the 3rd quarter and Ben Powers has only had 2 drives... what's the point of having Ehringer in there?
I think it's unfair to write off Hill so quickly (not you, but in general). I felt that he started to show more towards the end of the season (especially the last two games). I still got hope for him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Maybe the ravens saw enough of powers and they kinda used this as a tryout for the playoffs?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Matt Judon is a man among boys playing against that 1st team Steelers OL
This is great to hear. Wasn't paying attention to him much in that game. Him looking at Henry though face to face and whiffing really pissed me off. You have to think someone like Clowney makes that tackle. Maybe I'm being delusional. If Judon is here next season and many more seasons after that, I'll adjust. Not going to root against my players.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Is Cincy really going to keep Green, Boyd, Ross, and Higgins?
Ross is probably on his way out, but man, I'd love to nab Boyd lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
OK, so I'm a little frustrated with how much Powers ultimately got to play in week 17 and I don't think I've seen enough snaps to make any solidified opinion in the passing game

but i do have some notes - and they're pretty exciting:

he plays with outstanding leverage and controls defenders really well at the point of attack to create holes and manipulate defenders out of gaps - ravens were able to run behind him all game - was able to create loads of movement when doubling with Mekari but some of his most impressive snaps came against Javon Hargraves - really strong anchor - he's at best in close quarters but does have length to use when extended and when defenders get hands on - id like to see him do better when he has to get his arms extended but he does enough

solid anchor in the passing game on limited snaps and surprisingly clean footwork to mirror but wasn't really challenged - did nearly get beaten by hargraves once when he was slow out of his stance but did enough to push him past the pocket - only beaten once where he set anchor against hargraves and literally got pushed back like he was on ice skates (was pretty rainy that day and he wasnt the only person to lose grip that day)

now he's clearly limited with his movement skills - not athletic and looks a little bit lost in the 2nd level - wasnt really used on pulls at all or screens or anything - did show a really nice ability when the line was slid one way to beat the defender across to the spot and then leverage and flip his hips to create a hole (really high level block which i saw him attempt twice and accomplish twice)

really promising game and i fully expect him to be the leader to start at RG - there might be a ceiling on how good he can be but i think he's shown enough that we can expect steady play if he wins the starting job

he certainly looked better than bozeman did against the steelers

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Maybe the ravens saw enough of powers and they kinda used this as a tryout for the playoffs?

that's a great point - they werent thinking about 2021 in that game, they were thinking about the divisional round (as they should have) and powers wasnt going to be active because he's only cover at 2 spots whereas ehringer technically could do emergency cover at tackle (which he did in the steelers game when Orlando came out for a few snaps)