• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
First and foremost, I want the Ravens to win the division.. obviously ... but I also wanna see some more adversity.

Last year there was none after week 4 and very rarely played from behind. I’m ok with an 11-5 or even a 10-6 this year, it’s not ideal by any means, but I think the team would be more battle tested come playoff time. I also wanna see Lamar work from behind some more this year, I doubt it happens with our D, but that’s literally the only thing I need to see from Lamar, it’s not a knock either because him and the offence have just been so good they’ve hardly trailed.

How sweet would a couple 4th quarter comeback be? Good way to shut up the Lamar haters and those that say the Ravens can’t play without a lead..

it's bizarre that we didnt face any adversity given we the gauntlet of teams we played - we were just that good

Seahawks, Pats, Texans, 49ers, Bills all came in a 7 week span - those were some of the best teams in the NFL

as you say - you cant really ask the offence to slow down just so they can be in some different situations

Tank

Hall of Famer
For me it felt like we had rolled over everyone so easily it all felt too perfect, like we only showed those early game hiccups and rebounded in week 16, other than that it was basically us taking an early lead and turning on cruise control, aside from a few pucker worthy moments. We had faced so little adversity that an early game blunder just felt like an instant unravel, we got a reality check and Tennessee reminded both players and coaches that this is the nfl and you don’t cruise your way to a title
To state the obvious, tournament play is a whole different game. When you know there’s no tomorrow with a loss it brings on a whole different set of thoughts and emotions. I think you’re right, the early pick brought all of that right to the front of their minds.
And Pees had a simple but masterful plan to shut down the middle of the field and concede the outside where he thought we couldn’t execute.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
First and foremost, I want the Ravens to win the division.. obviously ... but I also wanna see some more adversity.

Last year there was none after week 4 and very rarely played from behind. I’m ok with an 11-5 or even a 10-6 this year, it’s not ideal by any means, but I think the team would be more battle tested come playoff time. I also wanna see Lamar work from behind some more this year, I doubt it happens with our D, but that’s literally the only thing I need to see from Lamar, it’s not a knock either because him and the offence have just been so good they’ve hardly trailed.

How sweet would a couple 4th quarter comeback be? Good way to shut up the Lamar haters and those that say the Ravens can’t play without a lead..
just because we never played from behind doesn't mean we can't. LJ almost beat the Chiefs while coming from behind. We beat the Browns coming from behind. That being said, the reason we haven't played from behind is mainly due to Lamar being so good. I don't think our record will be less than 12-4, but I'd be fine with 11-5 as well. That being said, 10-6 would be a disappointment.

We played a much tougher schedule in 2019 than we are scheduled to play in 2020.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Thought this tidbit was interesting from Eisenberg's 50 Words or Less article

Marquise Brown generated a sky-high 134.4 passer rating on his 65 targets last season. Wow, seriously?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

100% of nfl coaches would rather not play from behind. Lamar is far too confident to not be able to
Play from behind. I dnt think he has the inability. I think its more so our offensive coaching. Not that its bad i just think we only had one gear last season and wasnt comfortable whenever it came time to switch

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
just because we never played from behind doesn't mean we can't. LJ almost beat the Chiefs while coming from behind. We beat the Browns coming from behind. That being said, the reason we haven't played from behind is mainly due to Lamar being so good. I don't think our record will be less than 12-4, but I'd be fine with 11-5 as well. That being said, 10-6 would be a disappointment.

We played a much tougher schedule in 2019 than we are scheduled to play in 2020.
I hate being the hyped the team in nfl.. prolly no trend at all but i usually always bet against the most talked about team once SB come. During end of season i knew my KC SB bet was secured. Outside of oline, we have gotten better at all
Positions and even though thats a good thing, im worried lol

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I hate being the hyped the team in nfl.. prolly no trend at all but i usually always bet against the most talked about team once SB come. During end of season i knew my KC SB bet was secured. Outside of oline, we have gotten better at all
Positions and even though thats a good thing, im worried lol
you have that right, but i don't believe that's a reason to be nervous. Whatever happens is going to happen. We as fans don't have any control over that.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
So are we going to have a 16 game regular season with fans folks? I'm beginning to think that it is becoming a bleaker prospect given just how stubborn this virus is in that it is staying flat and not going down coupled with how so many people refuse to wear masks in public.

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
So are we going to have a 16 game regular season with fans folks? I'm beginning to think that it is becoming a bleaker prospect given just how stubborn this virus is in that it is staying flat and not going down coupled with how so many people refuse to wear masks in public.

Sadly, I can't imagine how a full season will be possible, apart from the NFL just being ok with the virus making its way through the organizations (and continuing into the public in general). To much to bother to type regarding possible issues of practicing and playing as scheduled if any player, coach, trainer, etc. tests positive, as they inevitably will. It sucks. I want football. I want to see this team play 19 games, plus preseason.

Basketball was discussing going without fans and suddenly had to shut down completely. This fall is almost certainly going to be a lot worse than this spring.

I'll relish any games that might happen.

I'm wondering how they'll do the draft if it's, say, a 4 game or zero game season. Does Cincy get first pick again, etc.?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Sadly, I can't imagine how a full season will be possible, apart from the NFL just being ok with the virus making its way through the organizations (and continuing into the public in general). To much to bother to type regarding possible issues of practicing and playing as scheduled if any player, coach, trainer, etc. tests positive, as they inevitably will. It sucks. I want football. I want to see this team play 19 games, plus preseason.

Basketball was discussing going without fans and suddenly had to shut down completely. This fall is almost certainly going to be a lot worse than this spring.

I'm wondering how they'll do the draft if it's, say, a 4 game or zero game season. Does Cincy get first pick again, etc.?

They’ve built some flexibility in the schedule so that the season can get pushed back if needed to still get 16 games in

They’ve started some football (soccer) in Germany but without fans - that may be the only feasible way of proceeding

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor

Very unlikely scenario that there won't be a season. But, if had to happen given we have no real control over the spread of this virus, then I believe the only fair way to do the draft order is to put 32 balls in a spinning machine and have the teams pick for each round. That would be the only fair way to do it. That would be the order of picks.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

Take a page from the NHL minus the lottery portion. Combine the records from three previous seasons together to formulate a draft order and in that case the New York Giants would have the first overall pick with a 12-36 record.

Rather than take a single season into account, the NHL used composite records from its three previous full seasons — 2001-02, 2002-03 and 2003-04 — to slot teams into different categories. Teams with no playoff appearances in that time, and no No. 1 overall picks in the previous four drafts, were given three lottery balls. Teams with one playoff appearance or No. 1 pick were given two. And everyone else had one of the 48 balls in the hopper, or approximately a 2% chance of landing the greatest prospect of his generation.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...ft-detroit-lions-nhl-gary-bettman/5132261002/

Draft Order using last three season records combined(2017, 2018 & 2019). Ties were broken using Strength of Schedule based on this season. I imagine that would be what the NFL uses so I went with that.

1. Giants 12-36
2. Browns 13-34-1
3. Bengals 15-33
4. Cardinals 16-31-1
5. Jets 16-32
6. Redskins 17-31
7. Raiders 17-31
8. Bucs 17-31
9. Broncos 18-30
10. Dolphins 18-30
11. Lions 18-29-1
12. Jaguars 21-27