• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
View attachment 2483 Found this gem in the browns subreddit.

brown fans going back and forth. Some are still delusional, saying he can’t pass. Others are saying their blind if they don’t see lamar is a far superior QB at every aspect of the game right now.

Here’s the link to the topic if y’all want to read their thoughts on our savior, Llama.

I know I shouldn’t be, but I’m triggered as fuck reading “tharizzle” and his bullshit

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Browns reddit is giving Lamar ridiculous praise. The fans are starting to come back down to earth after their Super Bowl offseason a year ago. Respect to them

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
anyone else find it annoying how there is essentially no talking head discussion about our performance, but there is page after after page of YouTube videos talking about baker and obj and how trash they are together?

Lamars success is so jarring to the rest of the country because he was written off from the beginning, even half of the Ravens subreddit was shitting on him in 2018.

On the flipside this is also why people are waiting for him to fail, nobody wants to admit they were wrong.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Even with that, the backhanded compliments are still there. Like wtf does "And there is no way in hell this Jackson isn't paying people in the off season to work with him" even mean?

You mean to tell me trainers volunteer their time to work with athletes? Of course Lamar has to pay them for their time...

Even with that Lamar needs to put time in own his own, which he obviously does. Maybe Baker should do the same foh delusional ass Browns fans
Its more of a compliment.. like “ dam he must be paying steph curry the way he shooting threes”

rossihunter2

Staff Member
anyone else find it annoying how there is essentially no talking head discussion about our performance, but there is page after after page of YouTube videos talking about baker and obj and how trash they are together?

and all the discussion of the ravens is bullshit about how Lamar was sitting in the pocket doing things he couldn’t and didn’t do last year

and I’m getting pissed off with those sorts of comments - yes he did more outside the numbers and down the field but the pocket poise and accurate deliveries were all over last years film...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You're like a meth addict itching for his next fix

it's more that im pissed off that im paying for the whole package for this one product and they still havent even released the Thursday night opening coaches film a week later let alone the sunday night stuff - they specifically say also that it should be up within 48 hours and at the latest by noon EST Tuesday and it's now thursday

nfl gamepass is literally turning me into a Karen

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
and all the discussion of the ravens is bullshit about how Lamar was sitting in the pocket doing things he couldn’t and didn’t do last year

and I’m getting pissed off with those sorts of comments - yes he did more outside the numbers and down the field but the pocket poise and accurate deliveries were all over last years film...
Dude exactly, Lamar was doing this shit last year, they’re all like o_O he improved so much throwing the ball, bullshit, he had multiple games last year superior to this one as a pure passer, shit the Arizona game he had I believe 100+ yards rushing and even that game he looked superior from the pocket.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Lamars success is so jarring to the rest of the country because he was written off from the beginning, even half of the Ravens subreddit was shitting on him in 2018.

On the flipside this is also why people are waiting for him to fail, nobody wants to admit they were wrong.
We can pat ourselves on the back, because we knew what we had when we drafted Lamar, however no one could expect him to be this good this soon and no one knew how hard of a worker he was going to be.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
We can pat ourselves on the back, because we knew what we had when we drafted Lamar, however no one could expect him to be this good this soon and no one knew how hard of a worker he was going to be.

Please don't take this comment as rude. I'm completely authentically asking a question. Is that true that no one could have expected him to be this good at this point? I understand there were droves of people who didn't believe in him at all. I'm not talking about them here. I'm saying if you said from the beginning, I believe in Lamar Jackson, shouldn't year 3 after basically a red shirt year and full season under his belt be when you'd expect him to be this good? Like I understand in the past it has taken a while for Qbs to develop, but it seems like recently with the Mahomes and Lamars and Murrays to name a few that year 2/3 is basically the time to be a concrete superstar.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Please don't take this comment as rude. I'm completely authentically asking a question. Is that true that no one could have expected him to be this good at this point? I understand there were droves of people who didn't believe in him at all. I'm not talking about them here. I'm saying if you said from the beginning, I believe in Lamar Jackson, shouldn't year 3 after basically a red shirt year and full season under his belt be when you'd expect him to be this good? Like I understand in the past it has taken a while for Qbs to develop, but it seems like recently with the Mahomes and Lamars and Murrays to name a few that year 2/3 is basically the time to be a concrete superstar.

i think it's one of those where prominent people are projecting the idea that no one could possibly have predicted this (in a sense to make themselves seem less bad for doubting him in the first place because "everyone got it wrong - even the ones who got it right")

tbf it's unfair really to expect any QB to turn into a superstar by year 3 - superstars are so rare but Lamar has become a lightning bolt who's challenging quarterbacking opinions and principles that have been stubbornly believed for decades

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i think it's one of those where prominent people are projecting the idea that no one could possibly have predicted this (in a sense to make themselves seem less bad for doubting him in the first place because "everyone got it wrong - even the ones who got it right")

tbf it's unfair really to expect any QB to turn into a superstar by year 3 - superstars are so rare but Lamar has become a lightning bolt who's challenging quarterbacking opinions and principles that have been stubbornly believed for decades

Yeah maybe there's some real recency bias on my part because it seems like in the last few years there have been a lot of quarterbacks to come in and be really good or even superstars. I really do think the first point you made is spot on though.

I was never one that wrote Lamar off, but I certainly didn't think he'd ever reach this level like best player in the league level. Always thought he'd be better than Joe Flacco though. I think Lamar is showing that he can have a long career not predicting on designed carries. Boy are we lucky.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
First, I don't take it as rude. I did expect him to be good, even top 10 with a chance of being better than that. However, I didn't expect him to be an MVP in season two and then improve on that. That's where I'm coming from. I knew he would improve his accuracy by improving his lower body mechanics.

Yes, I believe year three is when you can expect a QB to come into his own, but even if a QB is coming into his own in year 3, I certainly wouldn't expect him to be top five or better in year three. BTW, I'm only using top 5 as a frame of reference, because he's easily in the top 5 active QBs, imo.

The best thing about LJ isn't his talent, but it's his attitude and work ethic and yes, we are damn lucky.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah maybe there's some real recency bias on my part because it seems like in the last few years there have been a lot of quarterbacks to come in and be really good or even superstars. I really do think the first point you made is spot on though.

I was never one that wrote Lamar off, but I certainly didn't think he'd ever reach this level like best player in the league level. Always thought he'd be better than Joe Flacco though. I think Lamar is showing that he can have a long career not predicting on designed carries. Boy are we lucky.

the qb position had been getting a bit stale and a load of the better ones were aging out - we were due some new superstars and all the ones who'd been touted that way until 2017 hadnt really lived up to that promise

Since 2005 and Aaron Rodgers (who tbf didnt even play for 2 years after he was drafted) this is what the qb intake to the NFL looked like

2006 and 2007 class were bad QB classes

2008 Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco - as much as we love Joe, he and Ryan have never stood out apart from their peers - Joe will always be remembered for 4 games of exquisite excellence and not much else

2009 Matthew Stafford - not a superstar (maybe he could have been if not in Detroit where superstars retire as early as possible)

2010 QB class was awful

2011 and 2012 had Cam Newton and Andrew Luck respectively who looked like they'd become those faces of the league but for whatever reasons they never did take that step - RGIII briefly made his case too

2013 and 2014 QB classes were atrocious

2015 Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota had a ton of hype but never lived up to anywhere near it

2016 Goff and Wentz both did enough to get 2nd contracts but never looked like stars - both their teams went to superbowls but goff got found out in his and wentz had to watch his backup win his - also Dak Prescott who was thrust into the limelight for "america's team" but has never been considered the best at his position

2017 it finally changed but Watson got injured and Mahomes didnt start until the end of the year so their breakouts didnt happen until 2018

2018 one of the best QB draft classes ever (in terms of prospects - we'll see what the eventual outcome is given that one has already flamed out and 2 are in precarious positions)

until Mahomes and Watson entered the league we probably hadn't seen anyone turn up in 11 draft classes who could be regarded as a superstar

we were due and due more than 1 to fill the void

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
First, I don't take it as rude. I did expect him to be good, even top 10 with a chance of being better than that. However, I didn't expect him to be an MVP in season two and then improve on that. That's where I'm coming from. I knew he would improve his accuracy by improving his lower body mechanics.

Yes, I believe year three is when you can expect a QB to come into his own, but even if a QB is coming into his own in year 3, I certainly wouldn't expect him to be top five or better in year three. BTW, I'm only using top 5 as a frame of reference, because he's easily in the top 5 active QBs, imo.

The best thing about LJ isn't his talent, but it's his attitude and work ethic and yes, we are damn lucky.

Good on you for seeing his ceiling like that. I certainly didn't. I sort of felt like it is a foregone conclusion he would get ever better year 3 after seeing what he did year 2. Just based on his personality and work ethic on top of knowing that he wasn't a perfect prospect. He really seems to be filling in the small gaps he had a year ago. Could really create a dynasty for us. Also just a shout out to EDC. I think he has also been huge for us

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
the qb position had been getting a bit stale and a load of the better ones were aging out - we were due some new superstars and all the ones who'd been touted that way until 2017 hadnt really lived up to that promise

Since 2005 and Aaron Rodgers (who tbf didnt even play for 2 years after he was drafted) this is what the qb intake to the NFL looked like

2006 and 2007 class were bad QB classes

2008 Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco - as much as we love Joe, he and Ryan have never stood out apart from their peers - Joe will always be remembered for 4 games of exquisite excellence and not much else

2009 Matthew Stafford - not a superstar (maybe he could have been if not in Detroit where superstars retire as early as possible)

2010 QB class was awful

2011 and 2012 had Cam Newton and Andrew Luck respectively who looked like they'd become those faces of the league but for whatever reasons they never did take that step - RGIII briefly made his case too

2013 and 2014 QB classes were atrocious

2015 Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota had a ton of hype but never lived up to anywhere near it

2016 Goff and Wentz both did enough to get 2nd contracts but never looked like stars - both their teams went to superbowls but goff got found out in his and wentz had to watch his backup win his - also Dak Prescott who was thrust into the limelight for "america's team" but has never been considered the best at his position

2017 it finally changed but Watson got injured and Mahomes didnt start until the end of the year so their breakouts didnt happen until 2018

2018 one of the best QB draft classes ever (in terms of prospects - we'll see what the eventual outcome is given that one has already flamed out and 2 are in precarious positions)

until Mahomes and Watson entered the league we probably hadn't seen anyone turn up in 11 draft classes who could be regarded as a superstar

we were due and due more than 1 to fill the void

I think that is really excellent analysis.