• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
the qb position had been getting a bit stale and a load of the better ones were aging out - we were due some new superstars and all the ones who'd been touted that way until 2017 hadnt really lived up to that promise

Since 2005 and Aaron Rodgers (who tbf didnt even play for 2 years after he was drafted) this is what the qb intake to the NFL looked like

2006 and 2007 class were bad QB classes

2008 Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco - as much as we love Joe, he and Ryan have never stood out apart from their peers - Joe will always be remembered for 4 games of exquisite excellence and not much else

2009 Matthew Stafford - not a superstar (maybe he could have been if not in Detroit where superstars retire as early as possible)

2010 QB class was awful

2011 and 2012 had Cam Newton and Andrew Luck respectively who looked like they'd become those faces of the league but for whatever reasons they never did take that step - RGIII briefly made his case too

2013 and 2014 QB classes were atrocious

2015 Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota had a ton of hype but never lived up to anywhere near it

2016 Goff and Wentz both did enough to get 2nd contracts but never looked like stars - both their teams went to superbowls but goff got found out in his and wentz had to watch his backup win his - also Dak Prescott who was thrust into the limelight for "america's team" but has never been considered the best at his position

2017 it finally changed but Watson got injured and Mahomes didnt start until the end of the year so their breakouts didnt happen until 2018

2018 one of the best QB draft classes ever (in terms of prospects - we'll see what the eventual outcome is given that one has already flamed out and 2 are in precarious positions)

until Mahomes and Watson entered the league we probably hadn't seen anyone turn up in 11 draft classes who could be regarded as a superstar

we were due and due more than 1 to fill the void
Wow.. I have never thought about it but this is spot-on.

I was happy with the Lamar pick from the beginning because of one trait, his ability to consistently improve over the course of a game, season, and year over year. After his rookie season I said he would be as good as Russell Wilson.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I'll put it like this: did I think Lamar would improve upon his rookie season? Yes, but gradually. I expected him to be less inconsistent (regarding mistakes) with each progressing season.

Never in a million years did I see THIS level of improvement this quick. If Lamar continues to be on par with the likes of Russ as a passer, there are only three things that can stop Lamar from being even more OP: himself, a shitty o-line, and/or the football gods.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'll put it like this: did I think Lamar would improve upon his rookie season? Yes, but gradually. I expected him to be less inconsistent (regarding mistakes) with each progressing season.

Never in a million years did I see THIS level of improvement this quick. If Lamar continues to be on par with the likes of Russ as a passer, there are only three things that can stop Lamar from being even more OP: himself, a shitty o-line, and/or the football gods.

not sure the shitty OL even stops him at this point:

Simba

Staff Member

Agreed with this. That jump from year 1 to year 2 is pretty unprecedented for a QB, especially when you're talking about retooling his mechanics. I don't think anyone here should pretend they didn't have at least some question after year 1 with how inconsistent he was throwing the ball. But that guy went out, put in the work, and did the damn thing. He always had special abilities and that the Ravens were the team to unleash them, it's pretty fun.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Our schedule is so easy. I think there's a real shot we go 14-2 or better. I'm honestly predicting 15-1 and that 1 won't be the chiefs.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
So after Joe Burrow's week 1 game I said he didn't look very good. After his week 2 game I'm going to also say I don't think he looked very good, but the reason is completely different. In week 1 I thought he looked like a rookie in his first ever game. Week 2, there were a few little things that you could see were rookie mistakes but all in all I thought his poise was tremendously better. And to be fair, Cincy is honestly so bad, they're only gameplan was to let Burrow try and play superman. 64 dropbacks is nuts. I think Burrow has shown demonstrated the heart and baseline skills to say he definitely belongs in the NFL and he will only get better. However the reason I didn't think he looked super good and that I'm afraid he won't ever really achieve his potential is the Bengals as a team. That team is just bad. Defense is below average, offensive line is pretty bad, just lost their tight end, and somehow a squad of Boyd, Green, Ross, and Higgins still looks so incredibly pedestrian. They've shown no commitment to the run. What's that a formula for? Getting down early and having Joe throw it 60 times. But they had no downfield presence at all. Every pass was for 5 yards. If the Bengals don't get better and help this kid put, how could ever eclipse Andy Dalton levels. Servicible, but not great levels.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So after Joe Burrow's week 1 game I said he didn't look very good. After his week 2 game I'm going to also say I don't think he looked very good, but the reason is completely different. In week 1 I thought he looked like a rookie in his first ever game. Week 2, there were a few little things that you could see were rookie mistakes but all in all I thought his poise was tremendously better. And to be fair, Cincy is honestly so bad, they're only gameplan was to let Burrow try and play superman. 64 dropbacks is nuts. I think Burrow has shown demonstrated the heart and baseline skills to say he definitely belongs in the NFL and he will only get better. However the reason I didn't think he looked super good and that I'm afraid he won't ever really achieve his potential is the Bengals as a team. That team is just bad. Defense is below average, offensive line is pretty bad, just lost their tight end, and somehow a squad of Boyd, Green, Ross, and Higgins still looks so incredibly pedestrian. They've shown no commitment to the run. What's that a formula for? Getting down early and having Joe throw it 60 times. But they had no downfield presence at all. Every pass was for 5 yards. If the Bengals don't get better and help this kid put, how could ever eclipse Andy Dalton levels. Servicible, but not great levels.

idk that i agree with that - he can look good without the rest of the team being good - to me he's shown already lots of good things - poise in the pocket, decent post-snap recognition and the ability to run the offence in no huddle situations

my biggest criticisms are that his reads are happening a bit too slow right now - they havent completely got up to speed with the speed of the NFL yet and it doesnt help that his clock has to be even faster because of the Bengals OL

i think it's a credit to him that he's kept his team in games that they had no right to be in at the end

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Joe burrow looked like a future franchise qb Thursday night, he looks every bit the part of a first overall pick at qb. I don’t know what you were seeing, honestly if AJ Green is himself from 4 years ago the bengals win that game and quite possibly win handily, burrow was pin pointing extremely difficult throws exactly where they needed to be and green was not getting his hands on them, he looks like he lost a good 3 inches on his high point ability. Under duress he had a few balls on crossers that weren’t placed well, but for the most part burrow looked like a stud.

if they can build a team around him they’re gonna be trouble in the future

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
idk that i agree with that - he can look good without the rest of the team being good - to me he's shown already lots of good things - poise in the pocket, decent post-snap recognition and the ability to run the offence in no huddle situations

my biggest criticisms are that his reads are happening a bit too slow right now - they havent completely got up to speed with the speed of the NFL yet and it doesnt help that his clock has to be even faster because of the Bengals OL

i think it's a credit to him that he's kept his team in games that they had no right to be in at the end

I agree his clock is definitely off because of their OLine and I am definitely giving him a TON more credit after week 2 compared to week 1. Without him, they're not even remotely in the game. My point is that he didn't look good to me because his team was so bad in so many ways. It handicapped him so much. He looks like he's got the arm and legs for the job, and we know the game always slows down after year 1. If they can put a team around him, I think he'll look really good. Until then I think you're going to see a ton of running for his life, getting sacked, and 4 or 5 yard throws.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Joe burrow looked like a future franchise qb Thursday night, he looks every bit the part of a first overall pick at qb. I don’t know what you were seeing, honestly if AJ Green is himself from 4 years ago the bengals win that game and quite possibly win handily, burrow was pin pointing extremely difficult throws exactly where they needed to be and green was not getting his hands on them, he looks like he lost a good 3 inches on his high point ability. Under duress he had a few balls on crossers that weren’t placed well, but for the most part burrow looked like a stud.

if they can build a team around him they’re gonna be trouble in the future

I don't disagree with you. I think my point wasn't conveyed too clearly. I thought his first game was real shakey. His second game showed me a big flash. If he continues to get better which he obviously will, he looks to be on track to be a franchise QB. However, with all that being said I still think he didn't look that great. That's again, not because of him but because his team is so bad. Like you said AJ Green is a shell of his former self. The OLine is atrocious and subsequently did not allow for downfield passing. Running game provided no help. How can the kid who looks like he's got the talent show it if he's running for his life and just dunking it off for 5 yards 60 times a game?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree his clock is definitely off because of their OLine and I am definitely giving him a TON more credit after week 2 compared to week 1. Without him, they're not even remotely in the game. My point is that he didn't look good to me because his team was so bad in so many ways. It handicapped him so much. He looks like he's got the arm and legs for the job, and we know the game always slows down after year 1. If they can put a team around him, I think he'll look really good. Until then I think you're going to see a ton of running for his life, getting sacked, and 4 or 5 yard throws.

i think to me, you can already see him starting to elevate the talent around him - he seems to have that ability to make the rest of the offence better - that's something you could never say of andy dalton even when he was looking like an MVP in 2015

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i think to me, you can already see him starting to elevate the talent around him - he seems to have that ability to make the rest of the offence better - that's something you could never say of andy dalton even when he was looking like an MVP in 2015

I definitely trust your eye and if that's true that he is really starting to elevate those around him, who knows he could really make the Bengals a problem again. They were kinda our boogeyman of the last few years and I'd like to kinda keep them outta the picture for a little while if possible. In general I think our division this year is a lot more interesting than it's been in awhile. Looks like there's a legit chance no one is under 6 wins this year.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Anyone know who Lamar said he would not want to date his sister? Sounded like he said freaky keys. Maybe that's not what he said but even if it was I don't know that nickname for anyone on the team.