• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Bill O'Brien is no longer head coach of the Texans so it can't happen now.
While I understand what you’re saying, I don’t think you need an inept asshole to trade watt away, it’s a classic case of selling high while you still have a chance, and for a team that DESPERATELY needs to be able to sell something high. After breaking the bank for Watson while simultaneously shipping off all of his surrounding talent, you’re gonna need to replenish the roster with young cheap talent, ridding the team of watts contract and getting something like a 2+4 in return is exactly the line of thinking they’re in right now, they’re 0-4 and their hopes for this season are in the shitter and they should be looking ahead to 2021.

also, they know watts history, they have a chance to get a good return on him, but the second he hits the trainers table his value plummets and they’re stuck with his contract until they cut him

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
While I understand what you’re saying, I don’t think you need an inept asshole to trade watt away, it’s a classic case of selling high while you still have a chance, and for a team that DESPERATELY needs to be able to sell something high. After breaking the bank for Watson while simultaneously shipping off all of his surrounding talent, you’re gonna need to replenish the roster with young cheap talent, ridding the team of watts contract and getting something like a 2+4 in return is exactly the line of thinking they’re in right now, they’re 0-4 and their hopes for this season are in the shitter and they should be looking ahead to 2021.

also, they know watts history, they have a chance to get a good return on him, but the second he hits the trainers table his value plummets and they’re stuck with his contract until they cut him
I was more joking that O'Brien would've sent him to us for a 5th round pick and probably ate part of his cap hit where we could've made the move because he's that bad of a GM rather than remarking on the concept of trading away JJ Watt would be dumb for reasons you stated.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
LOL, wow is this comical...
1. Your assessment of McDaniels being a great OC is a) Tom Brady is great at QB sneaks, which has nothing to do with McDaniels at all and b) Cam Newton having a completion % that is the same as it was in 2018 with the Panthers, when McDaniels wasn't the OC?
Its pretty easy to raise completion %... just throw the ball shorter.
Look at Cam's air yardage... its about 6 yards. His average attended air yardage is the third lowest of any starting QB in the league in 2020.
2. Off the top of my head, there's at least two offensive play callers I'd take over McDaniels ... Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan. Frankly, you'd be hard pressed to name anything McDaniels does that is better than what these guys do.
If we're going to go "all time", well that list is only going to widen, especially when you start including guys like Don Shula, Bill Walsh, etc.
Lol shanhan? Cmon man. Weve seen what he does in the big games. We seen the play calling and how he doesnt make adjustments once he get figured out. Andy reid is a good one but like i say, mcdaniels has waaay many years of greatness and consistency for me to put anyone over him. So because his air yardage is low, we arent gonna give mcdaniels credit for making cam look like decent qb. What about brisset and cassel? and jimmy G. Like cmon, the proof is right in front of us.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Dont really know much about madubike but do you think he will contribute? well atleast contribute more than what we have now?

im so excited about him - he's got really nice hands although they could be even more violent (which will come i think) but mostly he's got insane athleticism both in a straight line and laterally

for context in terms of timed speed he timed as fast as Zadarius Smith when he was coming out but at 300lbs - in terms of our current defensive linemen and edge rushers only bowser and judon are quicker but he's got nearly 60lbs on tyus...

that's the sort of raw talent he's got

he was frequently double-teamed in college even against the best teams - SEC offensive coordinators listed him as one of the hardest defensive players to gameplan for in the 2019 season - when singled up he was almost unblockable in college - he's got the ability to play all over the defensive front and stress offensive linemen in either gap

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Dont really know much about madubike but do you think he will contribute? well atleast contribute more than what we have now?
I had him a first rounder long before draft night, I thought his talent was clearly first round worthy. He’s short and stocky but his arms are disproportionate, his hands are cannons and he can generate a lot of stagger and movement with 1 quick motion, hes extremely powerful, he fires off the ball very quickly, he’s extremely flexible and light on his feet, he dominates single blocks to the point that you can count on one hand the number of single block snaps per game that he didn’t cause at least a disruption. He’s just an absolute freak of an athlete.

downside is he’s a lot of projection, he’s a great opener but he needs to develop his disengage big time, and he doesn’t always play with the best leverage and pad level, he has excellent pad level naturally but he gets upright more than you’d like.

I’m expecting flashes from him this year, I don’t think we’re gonna see him realizing even half of his potential this year, but I think he’ll be up there in the future with Queen and dobbins when we debate who the best pick of this class was

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lol shanhan? Cmon man. Weve seen what he does in the big games. We seen the play calling and how he doesnt make adjustments once he get figured out. Andy reid is a good one but like i say, mcdaniels has waaay many years of greatness and consistency for me to put anyone over him. So because his air yardage is low, we arent gonna give mcdaniels credit for making cam look like decent qb. What about brisset and cassel? and jimmy G. Like cmon, the proof is right in front of us.
I've also seen McDaniels blow things in big games too. So why does he get a pass?
If I'm giving credit to McDaniels for guys like Jimmy G, then I give Shanahan the same credit. Which team was Jimmy G playing for when he went to a SB? It wasn't the Patriots...

No, I'm not giving McDaniels credit for making Cam look like a decent QB. I'm giving Cam credit for actually being a decent QB. When Cam was an MVP, which wasn't that long ago, who was calling plays for him? It wasn't McDaniels...

All of the sudden now Cam's career revival, which is occurred from about 80% of being healthy, and 10% of an OC who stopped telling him to throw it 30 yards down the field on every play, doesn't belong to him? LOL.

O and then there's the QB now playing in Tampa, who looks just fine to me. Just like he looked just fine when McDaniels wasn't his OC for a few years in NE.

You're right... the proofs right in front of you...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
and he's doing it against the same team in your video. Impressive

he did it against basically every team he played - LSU dealt with him well but they mostly just double teamed him the whole game - on the occasional snap where he was singled up he would cause disruption so next snap like clockwork they'd double him again

Ole Miss, Georgia are both really impressive - Clemson was possibly his worst tape and yet he had trevor lawrence running for his life at times

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

a good but not unexpected opinion from dan orlovsky

we miss marshal yanda

we knew we would miss yanda but i dont think i expected it to potentially tank the offence lol

Bozeman has been a pleasant surprise. I have always thought that he won't amount anything

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Except brady had BB mcdaniels, literally the best OC ever and best HC ever. Have you seen brady decision making last few yrs? Its a reason why he has been throwing so many pick sixes.
only thing I'm disagreeing with you here is McDaniels being the best OC ever.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
LOL, wow is this comical...
1. Your assessment of McDaniels being a great OC is a) Tom Brady is great at QB sneaks, which has nothing to do with McDaniels at all and b) Cam Newton having a completion % that is the same as it was in 2018 with the Panthers, when McDaniels wasn't the OC?
Its pretty easy to raise completion %... just throw the ball shorter.
Look at Cam's air yardage... its about 6 yards. His average attended air yardage is the third lowest of any starting QB in the league in 2020.
2. Off the top of my head, there's at least two offensive play callers I'd take over McDaniels ... Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan. Frankly, you'd be hard pressed to name anything McDaniels does that is better than what these guys do.
If we're going to go "all time", well that list is only going to widen, especially when you start including guys like Don Shula, Bill Walsh, etc.
and please, don't leave Joe Gibbs off the list. He doesn't deserve just an etc.... He's done it in more places than Washington and I'm not talking about Gibbs 2.0. He was a genius offensive play caller and did it without a true franchise qb. No, Joe Theisman, Doug Williams and Mark Rypien weren't franchise qbs.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Can we please get an update on what happened to Lamar’s knee? He looked absolutely fine against Washington

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator

a good but not unexpected opinion from dan orlovsky

we miss marshal yanda

we knew we would miss yanda but i dont think i expected it to potentially tank the offence lol

Skura has been bad. Tyree has been ehhh just give him a few more weeks I don't think anyone else we sign would be better. Without Yanda Orlando Brown has played worse. Bozeman has been good. Stanley was ranked the best Lt this season by pff but he doesn't stand out like he use to. The line needs chemistry no doubt about that. Espically with a worse offseason. I just don't understand not playing Merkari over Skura.

Another thing that has hurt us is Ingram very clearly losing a step and the incompetence to not play Gus more on inside runs. Or just switching rbs every play.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Looks like Joe Flacco is a starting QB again. Joe gets the nod against Arizona on Sunday, hope he does well. Though I imagine if he wins any games and screws up getting Trevor Lawrence, Jets fans will be pissed at Joe.
Flacco really is gonna get fucked being the backup this week if you look at the Jets injuries. I wish he signed with a better team and finished his career with a few more games of lighting people tf up lol

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Flacco really is gonna get fucked being the backup this week if you look at the Jets injuries. I wish he signed with a better team and finished his career with a few more games of lighting people tf up lol
As much as it pains me to say it, we all need to come to peace with the fact that joe Flacco was never going to light up anyone, with any team, at this point in his career.