• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Speaking of offense, we need to figure out our identity on offense. I hope this question gets answered in the bye week. Are we a running-oriented team like our 3rd ranked rushing offense suggests? If so, Gus and Dobbins need to be used more. I mean after all, they did they want to use these guys.

Or are we trying to become more pass-balanced? If this is the case, then we need to get other guys involved as well. Bengals defense did a solid job in the passing game. Of course Hollywood and (M)Andrews are our studs, but I wouldn't mind seeing Duv be used more. Jet screens, end arounds, etc.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Random thought. Lamar Jackson is getting no favors at all from his receiving corps. None whatsoever. I expect a trade for a reliable 3rd receiving option for Lamar Jackson before the trade deadline. While I'm hoping I may as well hope Michael Thomas begs for a trade to the Ravens. Never gonna happen, but I dare you to stop me from wishful thinking! Offense has been absolutely putrid the past 3 games.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Wink gets the call this offseason for a HC gig, would you guys be interested in Quinn who got fired from the Falcons?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If Wink gets the call this offseason for a HC gig, would you guys be interested in Quinn who got fired from the Falcons?

nope - he comes from that fairly simple seattle system and it's clearly not working for any of its successors - that system only worked when the defensive roster was absolutely stacked front to back

since he was HC the falcons defence has consistently been a nightmare

if wink gets nabbed by a team for an HC gig then I think you look inside the building tbh - maybe chris hewitt (not sure who else - our defensive staff is pretty new)
anyone who comes in from outside the building has to be someone creative and comfortable with the existing philosophy of building a defence back to front (because that's where all our investment is right now)

but definitely not interested in dan quinn

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
nope - he comes from that fairly simple seattle system and it's clearly not working for any of its successors - that system only worked when the defensive roster was absolutely stacked front to back

since he was HC the falcons defence has consistently been a nightmare

if wink gets nabbed by a team for an HC gig then I think you look inside the building tbh - maybe chris hewitt (not sure who else - our defensive staff is pretty new)
anyone who comes in from outside the building has to be someone creative and comfortable with the existing philosophy of building a defence back to front (because that's where all our investment is right now)

but definitely not interested in dan quinn
I mean I could be wrong, but I'm not really seeing Wink as a HC in the league. Like most teams are looking for offensive-minded coaches who can develop QBs, and frankly, I'm not sure what's occurred in the last 5-6 weeks that would have increased Wink's chances of getting a HC gig. If he didn't get one last year, I don't know what's different. I think you've seen quite a few teams in recent years try out the "lets give the D coordinator who's been around awhile a HC gig, and not many of them have worked out". Atlanta just fired that guy. Denver is likely to fire that guy. Detroit is likely to fire that guy.

Like I don't see any team being like "well yeah, did you see the way he dominated the worst Oline in football". We should hire him.
If anything, I think they'll point to the Chiefs game and be like "is this who we want"?

Declining offensively or not, I think Roman's chances of being a HC are MUCH higher than Wink's. I think a team that adds or wants a QB similar to Lamar will gladly seek out somebody like Roman.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Random thought. Lamar Jackson is getting no favors at all from his receiving corps. None whatsoever. I expect a trade for a reliable 3rd receiving option for Lamar Jackson before the trade deadline. While I'm hoping I may as well hope Michael Thomas begs for a trade to the Ravens. Never gonna happen, but I dare you to stop me from wishful thinking! Offense has been absolutely putrid the past 3 games.
A "reliable 3rd WR" is somebody like a Willie Snead. I don't see it, and if it happens, I don't see it being anybody of note or anybody who's going to contribute much.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I mean I could be wrong, but I'm not really seeing Wink as a HC in the league. Like most teams are looking for offensive-minded coaches who can develop QBs, and frankly, I'm not sure what's occurred in the last 5-6 weeks that would have increased Wink's chances of getting a HC gig. If he didn't get one last year, I don't know what's different. I think you've seen quite a few teams in recent years try out the "lets give the D coordinator who's been around awhile a HC gig, and not many of them have worked out". Atlanta just fired that guy. Denver is likely to fire that guy. Detroit is likely to fire that guy.

Like I don't see any team being like "well yeah, did you see the way he dominated the worst Oline in football". We should hire him.
If anything, I think they'll point to the Chiefs game and be like "is this who we want"?

Declining offensively or not, I think Roman's chances of being a HC are MUCH higher than Wink's. I think a team that adds or wants a QB similar to Lamar will gladly seek out somebody like Roman.

i mean let's be real - if joe judge is getting interviews then wink's gonna get interviews

i think the reason why its a possibility is that there were whispers that he was already on the jets list of ideal candidates a few weeks ago
and it was thought he was one of the top candidates for the giants job last year (he even had an ideal OC in Joe Brady ready to go if he was hired)

that being said he's said himself this offseason that he's not desperate for that job - he's happy where he is and if it comes great and if it doesnt then thats great too

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean let's be real - if joe judge is getting interviews then wink's gonna get interviews

i think the reason why its a possibility is that there were whispers that he was already on the jets list of ideal candidates a few weeks ago
and it was thought he was one of the top candidates for the giants job last year (he even had an ideal OC in Joe Brady ready to go if he was hired)

that being said he's said himself this offseason that he's not desperate for that job - he's happy where he is and if it comes great and if it doesnt then thats great too
I mean getting interviews is one thing... getting an offer is a different story. Joe Judge gets the decade long treatment of being an assistant to Belichick. Wink doesn't have that.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
What would you guys think about sending a pick over to Detroit for Golladay?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Me neither, but I have a bigger problem. Who's are number 2? If the answer is Boykin, is he the worst number 2 in the league this year? I'll look it up.

i assumed we were talking in terms of receivers vs WRs so assumed andrews and hollywood were 1 and 2 but if we're talking WRs then boykin probably gets called #2 on a snap count basis and because he's basically our only outside receiver

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
If our offense doesn't get going after the bye week, then I'll ring the alarm. Until then, I can't complain too much about a 4-1 record. Hopefully, Lamar can analyze his mistakes because he sets such high standards for himself.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i assumed we were talking in terms of receivers vs WRs so assumed andrews and hollywood were 1 and 2 but if we're talking WRs then boykin probably gets called #2 on a snap count basis and because he's basically our only outside receiver

Gotcha! Makes sense now. Boykin is ranked number 140 in receiving yards. He also only 5 receptions on 17 targets.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
eyu1q29bqos51.jpg

lol

Ravens are 31st in passing yards..... only 2.8 yards separate us and the Jets. If that isn’t a concern then idk what to say. I’m convinced Lamars knee is a bigger issue than what they have been letting on. No way he regressed this much after week 1.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Ravens are 31st in passing yards..... only 2.8 yards separate us and the Jets. If that isn’t a concern then idk what to say. I’m convinced Lamars knee is a bigger issue than what they have been letting on. No way he regressed this much after week 1.
I dnt think he regressed, just havent gotten any better