• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean I could be wrong, but I'm not really seeing Wink as a HC in the league. Like most teams are looking for offensive-minded coaches who can develop QBs, and frankly, I'm not sure what's occurred in the last 5-6 weeks that would have increased Wink's chances of getting a HC gig. If he didn't get one last year, I don't know what's different. I think you've seen quite a few teams in recent years try out the "lets give the D coordinator who's been around awhile a HC gig, and not many of them have worked out". Atlanta just fired that guy. Denver is likely to fire that guy. Detroit is likely to fire that guy.

Like I don't see any team being like "well yeah, did you see the way he dominated the worst Oline in football". We should hire him.
If anything, I think they'll point to the Chiefs game and be like "is this who we want"?

Declining offensively or not, I think Roman's chances of being a HC are MUCH higher than Wink's. I think a team that adds or wants a QB similar to Lamar will gladly seek out somebody like Roman.
While I agree with you that offensive minded coaches are more likely to get a head coaching gig than a defensive minded coach, I do believe there are teams that would be willing to give him a chance. Last offseason there were only three openings and he had an interview or two. I hope he is still in the building next year, because our defense has been really good under his leadership and I don't think we have anyone in the building that is ready to take over for him.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
eyu1q29bqos51.jpg

lol

Fort is a savage lmao

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
What would you guys think about sending a pick over to Detroit for Golladay?
1. Why would Detroit do it, when they can just sign him to a lucrative extension this offseason?
2. Where are we coming up with the $18-20M a year it'll take to sign him long-term?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
While I agree with you that offensive minded coaches are more likely to get a head coaching gig than a defensive minded coach, I do believe there are teams that would be willing to give him a chance. Last offseason there were only three openings and he had an interview or two. I hope he is still in the building next year, because our defense has been really good under his leadership and I don't think we have anyone in the building that is ready to take over for him.
But again, I'm not concerned about interviews. A lot of guys get interviews. Dean Pees used to get interviews.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
But again, I'm not concerned about interviews. A lot of guys get interviews. Dean Pees used to get interviews.
Bellichick is arguably the best HC of all time and won SBs during different stages of his career. It's all about being adaptable and knowing when and how to change. McDermott is also doing a great job in Buffalo. As a GM I wouldn't hire Wink if he hasn't been able to hold the Chiefs' offense in check for one game.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
What would you guys think about sending a pick over to Detroit for Golladay?
Would be nice. Who knows what Detroits' plans are, they could be doing a rebuild because nothing what they've done so far was acutally working.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bellichick is arguably the best HC of all time and won SBs during different stages of his career. It's all about being adaptable and knowing when and how to change. McDermott is also doing a great job in Buffalo. As a GM I wouldn't hire Wink if he hasn't been able to hold the Chiefs' offense in check for one game.
Its not just about one game.

Wink is basically a watered down personality version of Rex Ryan. That's how every NFL team is going to view him. Ryan actually probably projects to be a better HC, because of his personality. He's a player's coach that is a guy that can motivate players. I don't know if Wink is that or not from a public standpoint, though my guess he is.

So if I'm a team hiring Wink, the personnel to run his scheme has to already be in place. Like... is Wink an effective DC with an average to below average secondary? What does his defense look like when he can't blitz at the rate he wants to, because teams are beating his blitz consistently with big plays?

People don't realize that's why Rex Ryan can't (and possibly doesn't want) a job in the NFL. NFL teams starting eating his schemes for lunch. They were BEGGING Ryan to blitz. It was big play after big play after big play, because no franchise would ever commit the kind of personnel resources needed for Rex to run the defense he wants.

While the KC game is one example of a poor defensive performance, of which every coaching candidate will have a rolodex full of bad games to compare to, its also an example of how a DC was unable to modify or adapt his system to attack the weaknesses of his opponent. He basically just said "I'm a guy that likes to blitz, and I'm just going to blitz no matter what". And it was ugly.

Guys like McDermott, in my eyes, are MUCH more versatile as a coach. I don't view Wink that way at all. Any team that hires Wink as its HC better have a very, very, very, very, very strong OC, who has a history of running successful offenses, to handle that side of the ball.

Reactions: cdp

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Its not just about one game.

Wink is basically a watered down personality version of Rex Ryan. That's how every NFL team is going to view him. Ryan actually probably projects to be a better HC, because of his personality. He's a player's coach that is a guy that can motivate players. I don't know if Wink is that or not from a public standpoint, though my guess he is.

So if I'm a team hiring Wink, the personnel to run his scheme has to already be in place. Like... is Wink an effective DC with an average to below average secondary? What does his defense look like when he can't blitz at the rate he wants to, because teams are beating his blitz consistently with big plays?

People don't realize that's why Rex Ryan can't (and possibly doesn't want) a job in the NFL. NFL teams starting eating his schemes for lunch. They were BEGGING Ryan to blitz. It was big play after big play after big play, because no franchise would ever commit the kind of personnel resources needed for Rex to run the defense he wants.

While the KC game is one example of a poor defensive performance, of which every coaching candidate will have a rolodex full of bad games to compare to, its also an example of how a DC was unable to modify or adapt his system to attack the weaknesses of his opponent. He basically just said "I'm a guy that likes to blitz, and I'm just going to blitz no matter what". And it was ugly.

Guys like McDermott, in my eyes, are MUCH more versatile as a coach. I don't view Wink that way at all. Any team that hires Wink as its HC better have a very, very, very, very, very strong OC, who has a history of running successful offenses, to handle that side of the ball.

The Chiefs game though was an example of how they did not really have another option. Letting Mahomes have time is not going to work. If he can sit back in the pocket and look for a guy he will find it every single time. They NEEDED to get pressure on him, but the problem is that they just could not do it. Beating the Chiefs is really being able to do 1 thing and if you cannot do that one thing then you are not going to beat the Chiefs.

Honestly the problem that game was Queen and it was not close. He was really a major liability which is why they ended up benching him.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Chiefs game though was an example of how they did not really have another option. Letting Mahomes have time is not going to work. If he can sit back in the pocket and look for a guy he will find it every single time. They NEEDED to get pressure on him, but the problem is that they just could not do it. Beating the Chiefs is really being able to do 1 thing and if you cannot do that one thing then you are not going to beat the Chiefs.

Honestly the problem that game was Queen and it was not close. He was really a major liability which is why they ended up benching him.
I mean, yes and know. Mahomes is going to get his regardless. What is important is a) you limit the big plays and the quick plays that pick up chunk yardage (which we obviously didn't) b) you clamp down in the red zone and c) you score enough points to keep up.

We did none of those things, and we made no modifications during the game to stop or help any of those things either.

Some, but not nearly all, of that, falls on Wink.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I mean, yes and know. Mahomes is going to get his regardless. What is important is a) you limit the big plays and the quick plays that pick up chunk yardage (which we obviously didn't) b) you clamp down in the red zone and c) you score enough points to keep up.

We did none of those things, and we made no modifications during the game to stop or help any of those things either.

Some, but not nearly all, of that, falls on Wink.
Wink tried mixing stuff in that game except nothing worked at all. Queen was getting fooled out there, peters was biting on routes just like in st louis and we had no pass rush.. wasnt it our first game without tavon? We had jimmy playing some S also.. that game couldve just been a trial and error for us. I doubt we will get killed like that again by them in offs.. hopefully we dnt gotta play them and steelers wipe them out..

rossihunter2

Staff Member

specifically to this - wink is well-known for being a player's coach - for being someone that players love - he's pretty publicly thought of in that way
and he's thought of highly in insider circles too (and we know that insiders sometimes have the ears of ownership - didnt the jets reportedly touch base with peter schrager about potential HC candidates? - we know he's a big advocate for wink also)

specifically with the jets job too he has a pre-existing relationship with that front office with joe douglas at GM there

i dont think he gets a HC job next year for the classic offensive reasons that youve mentioned before (and i hope he doesnt because he fits this franchise perfectly) but he's definitely going to be interviewed by teams and he's certainly not an unknown around the league

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Wink tried mixing stuff in that game except nothing worked at all. Queen was getting fooled out there, peters was biting on routes just like in st louis and we had no pass rush.. wasnt it our first game without tavon? We had jimmy playing some S also.. that game couldve just been a trial and error for us. I doubt we will get killed like that again by them in offs.. hopefully we dnt gotta play them and steelers wipe them out..
yes, unfortunately it was our first game without Tavon.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jimmy had been playing that hybrid Safety role all year prior to Tavon getting hurt. That was going to be his role on the defense for the year, since Peters and Marlon rarely come off the field. Similar to Brandon Carr's role from last year.

Now he'll be forced to the more traditional outside Corner role, with Marlon playing a lot more in the slot. Basically what we did last year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Jimmy had been playing that hybrid Safety role all year prior to Tavon getting hurt. That was going to be his role on the defense for the year, since Peters and Marlon rarely come off the field. Similar to Brandon Carr's role from last year.

Now he'll be forced to the more traditional outside Corner role, with Marlon playing a lot more in the slot. Basically what we did last year.
Which I’m cool with honestly, I was never too big on the jimmy to safety thing, he actually seemed to do really well but truthfully jimmy offers only coverage as a safety and isn’t a great fit to play safety here, and he still remains a shutdown man corner.

related note but not necessarily on topic, jimmy deserves a lot of praise for just how much of a specimen he clearly is, he’s had like 4 separate injuries that derail careers, and he just comes back from them all, in his 30s, and continues to be a stud. Straight up he’s one of the most underrated players in the nfl among all positions.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I don't think it's a receiving issue as much as a O-line issue. Injuries and the loss of Yanda are affecting all facets of the offense. I don't know what vet O-line talent is out there still at this point in the season, but I would be looking in that direction rather than WR's. I also think that Hayden Hurst might have played a larger part of the decoy TE receiving role than we gave him credit for. But who'd we'd pare off of the roster to add anyone leaves me stumped.