• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Which I’m cool with honestly, I was never too big on the jimmy to safety thing, he actually seemed to do really well but truthfully jimmy offers only coverage as a safety and isn’t a great fit to play safety here, and he still remains a shutdown man corner.

related note but not necessarily on topic, jimmy deserves a lot of praise for just how much of a specimen he clearly is, he’s had like 4 separate injuries that derail careers, and he just comes back from them all, in his 30s, and continues to be a stud. Straight up he’s one of the most underrated players in the nfl among all positions.
I think the only concern is that the more snaps he's forced to play, the more likely he is (especially at his age) to suffer injury. I think the Ravens would have preferred he played a lot closer to like 40-50% of snaps as a rotational player. He played 88% against the Chiefs, 78% against the Bengals. That's pretty high for a player like him at this stage.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Which I’m cool with honestly, I was never too big on the jimmy to safety thing, he actually seemed to do really well but truthfully jimmy offers only coverage as a safety and isn’t a great fit to play safety here, and he still remains a shutdown man corner.

related note but not necessarily on topic, jimmy deserves a lot of praise for just how much of a specimen he clearly is, he’s had like 4 separate injuries that derail careers, and he just comes back from them all, in his 30s, and continues to be a stud. Straight up he’s one of the most underrated players in the nfl among all positions.

think of him less as a safety and more in terms of the things he offers as an extra DB in dime packages - he can matchup against athletic TEs in man and he has the ability to play the deep middle in the zone and the flexibility to rotate into corner spots when we blitz CBs

he's not a safety and not a dimebacker per se but he's a matchup tool for us in those dime packages

notably the bengals dont have a TE that threatens us so he was able to play a lot on the outside at corner (which meant averett didnt play much there and gilchrist played more on the backend)

it'll be interesting usage-wise if averett still doesnt play much this week against the eagles who have 2 matchup problems at TE

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i mean he's playing a lot worse than last year so idk how else you want to put it lol
Yea but so is our run game and oline. Imo, if run game was working great he would be looking much better. Run game was able to hide all his problems. He was still missing throws and over throwing them last year. I see no different than this year. Seems like we are taking more deep shots, which we all wanted however he just cant make those throws right now

Reactions: cdp

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Hell yea i agree.. i was happy we kept him. Great matchup for tight ends and big bodied wrs

I don't think it's a receiving issue as much as a O-line issue. Injuries and the loss of Yanda are affecting all facets of the offense. I don't know what vet O-line talent is out there still at this point in the season, but I would be looking in that direction rather than WR's. I also think that Hayden Hurst might have played a larger part of the decoy TE receiving role than we gave him credit for. But who'd we'd pare off of the roster to add anyone leaves me stumped.
Blitz pick up is the issue. The o line pass blocking when faced with 4 man rushes have been good. It’s just every team is blitzing Lamar like crazy and the o line is just confused as to who to pick up. Roman isn’t doing anything to help Lamar with designed hot routes. As good as Roman is scheming up the run game, he’s been notoriously bad at scheming up the pass game. Add in the fact that Lamar is just missing throws this season and we’re 31st in the league in passing

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I wanna swallow my pride here and just say it...

Jaylon ferguson has looked pretty respectable from what I can tell watching live. Much better than I expected, nothing special, but he has been getting reps and I haven’t noticed him being a complete liability.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Jaylon ferguson has looked pretty respectable from what I can tell watching live. Much better than I expected, nothing special, but he has been getting reps and I haven’t noticed him being a complete liability.

he’s looked good as an edge setter and has a few decent pass rush reps

I wonder if he becomes the next Courtney upshaw type guy for us

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Fuck you talm about, swallowing your pride and shit? We know that you're staying in character. You ain't slick....

JO_75

Hall of Famer

You can't just go breaking the fourth wall on us all out of character with a post like this. One more like this and your punishment will be to be coached by Adam Gase for a year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
he’s looked good as an edge setter and has a few decent pass rush reps

I wonder if he becomes the next Courtney upshaw type guy for us
I’ve seen a few plays where he really crashes the line against the run, like dominant push on the edge, he’s far from a consistent pass rusher and I don’t think he’ll ever be, but that straight bulrush has been effective a few times already.

he just doesn’t strike me as a motor guy or a hard working type who’s able to adapt and evolve, he needed a body transformation between 19 and 20 and he looks like he hasn’t worked at it al all, and he certainly hasn’t done anything to improve his technique either. He’s been surprisingly competent so far this year though

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Obviously there's no need for Leveon bell here in Baltimore, but does anyone think a change of scenery could elucidate that he actually still has something in the tank? I personally think he does and the jets were doing him no favors, but I don't by any means expect to see Pittsburgh Lev Bell.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
If anyone watched some of the Titans game last night, do you really think we can beat this team with our offense playing like it is right now?

I certainly don't see it. I would be surprised if we beat them.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
If anyone watched some of the Titans game last night, do you really think we can beat this team with our offense playing like it is right now?

Right now - no chance at all. But that's not the point, we're onto Philadelphia.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think it exemplifies more than anything how good their coaching staff is at doing that classic patriot thing of taking away your strength - they're ok if you beat them without your strengths but they're going to make sure that you don't get to do what you're best at against them

really well coached team with lots of talent on both sides of the ball

they knew that allen had been thriving on big plays all year so they asked him to dink and dunk down the field and not make mistakes and it brought to light the issues still in his game that had been hidden by his statistically exciting opening 4 games (things that advanced analytics were showing up but not the box score stats)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’ve seen a few plays where he really crashes the line against the run, like dominant push on the edge, he’s far from a consistent pass rusher and I don’t think he’ll ever be, but that straight bulrush has been effective a few times already.

he just doesn’t strike me as a motor guy or a hard working type who’s able to adapt and evolve, he needed a body transformation between 19 and 20 and he looks like he hasn’t worked at it al all, and he certainly hasn’t done anything to improve his technique either. He’s been surprisingly competent so far this year though

to be fair to him he's clearly worked hard but i think the difference this year is that he's starting to understand his limitations and strengths - he knows that pound for pound he's probably stronger than the guy across from him and faster in a straight line so he can control the edge and forcefully disrupt pullers and collapse the edge (when he needs to) as long as he uses his arms and pad level to maintain leverage

i think what he's going to have to learn still in the passing game is that you cant get pressures by going through an offensive lineman - you have to challenge them inside or outside and get into half the man and we'll see if he improves in that area

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Hmmm I wonder if The Ravens should have some interest in Kamalei Correa since it's been mention that The Titans are interested in trading him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Hmmm I wonder if The Ravens should have some interest in Kamalei Correa since it's been mention that The Titans are interested in trading him.
It’s not that they’re interested necessarily but more that he requested a trade, from what I’ve heard.

Also, I wouldn’t hate it, he seemed to be coming on when we traded him and he came on fairly strong for the titans and he is still very explosive, I can’t imagine he would be the worst edge on the active roster if we signed him. I’m not sure it would be a worthwhile addition though, the biggest thing I’d be looking for is seeing if we can get a respectable edge defender for cheap beyond 2020, because ferguson is literally the only edge defender we have that’s signed beyond this season, if we don’t wanna break the bank and want a guy who’s played a decent year or more for a good defense in Tennessee he would be an obvious candidate. However, he Clearly didn’t fit in here and I don’t think he would even want to come here.