• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
agree. I know Decosta is going to trade for somebody if the price is right.
However i always get excited when we trade for a wr - Chris Givens well....
Yea man we need something. Idk if a wr will
Be enough though.lamar isnt improving and our playcalling looks terrible so i even know if a good
Wr would even matter.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Their entire offensive personnel is built around being able to do what they did last season. They built their team to be a team that beats you with multiple rushing approaches and then uses play action and fast WRs to get big chunk plays in the air. Such a team cannot transition to being a pass first team or even an outside running team when they built their roster to play a certain way.

Basically fixing the interior OLine is probably a smaller ask mid season than rebuilding the entire offense. At this point though, if I am the Ravens, I am looking at trying to double or triple dip on the OLine in the next draft if the opportunity arises.
Like, OK, but we've drafted three interior Olineman in the last two drafts, all of them in the first 4 rounds.

None of them have been Centers, but I also don't think Skura is playing badly either. I think people are just recognizing how great Yanda was, and how hard it is to find a player of his caliber. They can be found, but a lot of your stud Guards in this league in recent years are coming with very high draft picks (often first rounders). I wouldn't rule that out, but you also shouldn't be pigeon-holing yourself into drafting for positional need.

I'm not suggesting we ignore interior Oline at all, but I certainly don't think using like 2-3 high draft picks on it is going to yield the output we seek. My emphasis for 2021 would be pass rush, pass rush, and more pass rush. I feel good about pretty much every level of our defense, with the exception of pass rush. As good as this defense has been... this team has to blitz to get pressure. And that's not sustainable.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
LOL I got CEH at 1.12 and Drake at 2.1
I fell for the Drake trap. All the signs were there. Kingsbury loves Edmonds, Drake only had a short period of high production in that offense, etc.

I took him over guys like Josh Jacobs. It hurts.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Like, OK, but we've drafted three interior Olineman in the last two drafts, all of them in the first 4 rounds.

None of them have been Centers, but I also don't think Skura is playing badly either. I think people are just recognizing how great Yanda was, and how hard it is to find a player of his caliber. They can be found, but a lot of your stud Guards in this league in recent years are coming with very high draft picks (often first rounders). I wouldn't rule that out, but you also shouldn't be pigeon-holing yourself into drafting for positional need.

I'm not suggesting we ignore interior Oline at all, but I certainly don't think using like 2-3 high draft picks on it is going to yield the output we seek. My emphasis for 2021 would be pass rush, pass rush, and more pass rush. I feel good about pretty much every level of our defense, with the exception of pass rush. As good as this defense has been... this team has to blitz to get pressure. And that's not sustainable.

I mean yes they drafted some players, but they are not very good. Late 3rd and 4th round prospects are just yielding positive results and honestly Skura is likely not back next year so they need a new Center anyway so unless there is some massive development they need multiple new starters on the interior.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean yes they drafted some players, but they are not very good. Late 3rd and 4th round prospects are just yielding positive results and honestly Skura is likely not back next year so they need a new Center anyway so unless there is some massive development they need multiple new starters on the interior.
1. I think its far too early to say whether they're good or not. I'm certainly not writing off Tyre Phillips as a non-starter level player after all of like 4 games. I don't know that Powers or Bredeson will ever amount to anything, but my point is I'm not just going to keep throwing draft capital at a position over and over again, knowing I've already done that and failed at it.
2. Why wouldn't Skura be back next year? I don't see this robust market for him, where he's going to get like Ryan Jensen-level deals, and I think his price tag for next year could be extremely reasonable for the Ravens.

I'd like to see them bring in some more competition at that position, but again, there's no way I'm pigeon-holing myself into thinking that I have to get a starting Center in like round 1 or 2 next year. There might not be said player available to choose, and the worst draft strategy in the history of mankind is drafting for position instead of for player. That's how you end up drafting guys like Matt Elam, who fill a "need" but aren't good football players. Now you have neither.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean this team has been great at developing day 2 and 3 guys and turning them into good level starters - it just normally doesnt bear fruit in year 1...

at center it seems pretty clear to me that unless we find someone great in the draft next year at BPA that we'll be moving forwards (at least in 2021) with Mekari

Tyre Phillips had his best game in week 3 against the chiefs and then did ok (not great for sure but fine) against washington's front in week 4 - he's a rookie in a stilted offseason who's transitioning to right guard from left tackle, he's going to take some time but signs are initially promising (not a certainty he'll pan out but he's got the physical tools)

who knows what's going on with powers - he's just never really found it

and bredeson is a rookie just like phillips - too early to say anything on him beyond his college film (which was pretty good btw)

im really not panicking about OL at all - we've got tons of youth on the OL and while you can always add talent, there's a lot of players who are at least solid backup level players (and a couple have the opportunity to develop into more than that)

im certainly not turning down an IOL if there's one there but i wouldnt call it a priority

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I fell for the Drake trap. All the signs were there. Kingsbury loves Edmonds, Drake only had a short period of high production in that offense, etc.

I took him over guys like Josh Jacobs. It hurts.
Luckily I drafted Chase as a handcuff. Jacobs went at 1.11 and Drake just felt like the right choice so it is what it is. I started 3-0 then got cute with my lineup and lost 2 in a row. It’s a long season. I’m not too worried about CEH just yet though

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Luckily I drafted Chase as a handcuff. Jacobs went at 1.11 and Drake just felt like the right choice so it is what it is. I started 3-0 then got cute with my lineup and lost 2 in a row. It’s a long season. I’m not too worried about CEH just yet though
In the league that I drafted Drake at like #14 overall, I went WR heavy after that, so I'm largely screwed. Put a lot of faith in Dobbins taking over lead role here (didn't happen), and also ended up drafting Wentz and Mayfield.

It's gonna be a long year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
EkdpTstW0AAarZ7

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Didn't see the chiefs raiders game. In light of the fact that KC has Leveon Bell, they're probably going to be even more dangerous. Even if by only a modest little bit. Did anyone who watched that game pick up on any blueprint that shows where they are human? Because they looked pretty unstoppable when we played them. Glad they're human too, just hope it goes better next time if there is a next time.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Didn't see the chiefs raiders game. In light of the fact that KC has Leveon Bell, they're probably going to be even more dangerous. Even if by only a modest little bit. Did anyone who watched that game pick up on any blueprint that shows where they are human? Because they looked pretty unstoppable when we played them. Glad they're human too, just hope it goes better next time if there is a next time.

honestly the only game where they looked like the chiefs from last year on either side of the ball was the game against us - i feel like we bore the brunt of their gameplan and they rose to the occasion amazingly

but if you remove the ravens game they've seemed really vulnerable honestly

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
honestly the only game where they looked like the chiefs from last year on either side of the ball was the game against us - i feel like we bore the brunt of their gameplan and they rose to the occasion amazingly

but if you remove the ravens game they've seemed really vulnerable honestly

That could totally be true. I honestly haven't watched them at all except for our game. I haven't seen almost anything outside of AFC North football this year. Been busy. Glad to hear that they don't seem invincible.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That could totally be true. I honestly haven't watched them at all except for our game. I haven't seen almost anything outside of AFC North football this year. Been busy. Glad to hear that they don't seem invincible.

chargers beat them all over the shop with a rookie QB in his first start (with almost no preparation)
raiders wiped the floor with them - KC offered nothing on defence and at key times the raiders front 7 made plays - note that the chiefs in a poor performance in a loss still put up 32 points so it's not like they were completely ineffectual

but the raiders and chargers both got pressure on mahomes and their LBs made good plays to deal with the trickeration
that might be the biggest deal - KC victimised our LBs all day and none of our pressure seemed to do anything because we never finished plays

while the ravens were massively out-coached - they also just got out-executed on the day

but the chiefs are human - the raiders out-executed them and they lost

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
chargers beat them all over the shop with a rookie QB in his first start (with almost no preparation)
raiders wiped the floor with them - KC offered nothing on defence and at key times the raiders front 7 made plays - note that the chiefs in a poor performance in a loss still put up 32 points so it's not like they were completely ineffectual

but the raiders and chargers both got pressure on mahomes and their LBs made good plays to deal with the trickeration
that might be the biggest deal - KC victimised our LBs all day and none of our pressure seemed to do anything because we never finished plays

while the ravens were massively out-coached - they also just got out-executed on the day

Awesome!! Well by the time we would play them again, our linebackers should be much more experienced and can specifically look at their previous mistakes.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

No matter what personnel you have, the entire defensive scheme vs the Chiefs depends on not being fooled or overthinking their pre snap motion. We got ate alive on it. We fell for every play fake, trickeration, pre-snap motion, etc. There's more to it than that, but it's not nearly as simple as "don't blitz and play good coverage". Not only do the have a deadly passer, but their pre snap manipulation and motion gives most defenses fits. Patriots do great against it because Belichick literally just tells his defense "sit there, do nothing, and do your assignment". Its the most simplistic style of football possible, but against an offense that's designed around deception and using deception to create wide open plays, its that simple.

I like our defense a lot, but its not nearly as disciplined as I'd like it to be. They're more instinctual. Against teams like Cincinnati, it pays BIG dividends. Against a great QB with a great coach who can manipulate players, its a disaster.

Marcus Peters is the perfect example. His MO before he was traded here was a ballhawk who makes splash plays, but its two-way. He gives up big plays. That was on full display against KC. Those big plays played dividends against Seattle and some other great teams last year. It backfired against KC. Sometimes showing restraint and doing your job is what's needed.

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
No matter what personnel you have, the entire defensive scheme vs the Chiefs depends on not being fooled or overthinking their pre snap motion. We got ate alive on it. We fell for every play fake, trickeration, pre-snap motion, etc. There's more to it than that, but it's not nearly as simple as "don't blitz and play good coverage". Not only do the have a deadly passer, but their pre snap manipulation and motion gives most defenses fits. Patriots do great against it because Belichick literally just tells his defense "sit there, do nothing, and do your assignment". Its the most simplistic style of football possible, but against an offense that's designed around deception and using deception to create wide open plays, its that simple.

I like our defense a lot, but its not nearly as disciplined as I'd like it to be. They're more instinctual. Against teams like Cincinnati, it pays BIG dividends. Against a great QB with a great coach who can manipulate players, its a disaster.

Marcus Peters is the perfect example. His MO before he was traded here was a ballhawk who makes splash plays, but its two-way. He gives up big plays. That was on full display against KC. Those big plays played dividends against Seattle and some other great teams last year. It backfired against KC. Sometimes showing restraint and doing your job is what's needed.

for sure - i dont blame the scheme at all - we got caught in some bad looks that the chiefs took advantage of but mostly it was guys missing assignments or getting caught out by the clever motions

that's on coaching too but not on schematic philosophy - there's nothing philosophically wrong with lighting up mahomes - you just have to execute behind those pressures

good team defence is all about assignment-sound, fundamental football and the team just didnt execute - they ripped apart our young LBs with that eye-candy and our more experienced DL and EDGE personnel didn't play well at all which meant that we were rushing numbers but not getting the benefit of those extra numbers - basically the poor execution made it look like we were playing with 9 players on defence in stead of 11

Reactions: cdp