• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I'm not surprised in the slightest. Its just a way to play "God", like a kid with an ant farm.

I actually emailed/messaged the the PR higher-ups at BR several times in the past about their moderators selective enforcement of rules, hypocrisies, etc. Naturally it never went anywhere, and I'm pretty sure the website itself doesn't actually care about commenters on its articles or its forums. Realistically, as long as you're not posting profanity or racial slurs, they just let the mods run the show however they want.

Towards the end, it was more fun picking on the mods than anything. The frequent "posters" were too stupid to realize you were mocking them, and they would complain to the mods anytime somebody had a differing opinion from their own. So the only people left to engage with were the mods, and they frequently just gave bad opinions and then accused me of "attacking" their little safe space.

As I said earlier... it was, and as far as I can tell, still is, totally acceptable to like accuse a member of the Ravens organization of being a child molester, without any support. But if you insinuate that a fellow poster might be a moron (which most were), it was like a major no-no.

It truly was the bizarro world.
I did the exact same thing after the Maryland1 incident and never heard back from the higher ups. This board is SO much better than the last. I hope we keep this up for a very long time. I like the freedom to express myself within reason, which was totally against the TOS on the old board.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yes. Except for me, who appears to have gotten an IP address ban (or some variation thereof) from anything BR.com related. I tried creating multiple new usernames with various email addresses, and I got banned immediately after doing so.
interesting. how in the hell did you get banned. What did you do that was remotely ban able.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
interesting. how in the hell did you get banned. What did you do that was remotely ban able.
The things I know I did NOT do:
Profanity
Racist/sexist comments

I don't really recall. I think it was sort of communicated as a "lifetime achievement" award. I think a lot of the posters kept complaining about me always pushing back on their bad opinions and like making them support things, that the mods got fed up with the complaints and just decided to end it.

I guess in some ways they felt like I was personally attacking posters, which I wasn't. I mean I probably called them idiots occasionally, but I thought it was clear they earned it. That coupled with mods like MomGene already being pissed because they were frequently part of my rebuttals probably didn't sit too well.

I do remember the last day she specifically pointed out that I needed to stop referring to people's views as "bad opinions". She said there was no such thing as a bad opinion. That an opinion couldn't be proven right or wrong, and that everybody was entitled to one, blah blah blah. I told her that I thought people that gave opinions, while spending no time researching what they were talking about, having no knowledge of what they speak of, etc., were ignorant, and that their opinions should be viewed as bad by their peers. I think that was the last straw.

In the end, it was probably just the way I treated the mods. They viewed themselves as "above reproach" and thought everything they said or did was gospel. I spent at least one day a week pointing out their hypocrisies, explaining how they misunderstood their own rules, etc. I think they just wanted me gone, which was fine.

If there's one major takeaway I had from my experience on BR.com and other unrelated social media platforms, its that moderators aren't necessarily these extremely wise, wisdom-filled, highly knowledgeable voices of reason. In some cases they are, but in cases like that site, its basically just somebody with more free time who volunteers so that they feel like they can control something in their life. MomGene specifically, I felt, knew very little about Ravens football, and shouldn't be chiming in nearly as much as she did about things she clearly knew nothing about.

Like I know nothing about quilting, so I don't think its appropriate for me to be a forum moderator of a quilting social media page.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The things I know I did NOT do:
Profanity
Racist/sexist comments

I don't really recall. I think it was sort of communicated as a "lifetime achievement" award. I think a lot of the posters kept complaining about me always pushing back on their bad opinions and like making them support things, that the mods got fed up with the complaints and just decided to end it.

I guess in some ways they felt like I was personally attacking posters, which I wasn't. I mean I probably called them idiots occasionally, but I thought it was clear they earned it. That coupled with mods like MomGene already being pissed because they were frequently part of my rebuttals probably didn't sit too well.

I do remember the last day she specifically pointed out that I needed to stop referring to people's views as "bad opinions". She said there was no such thing as a bad opinion. That an opinion couldn't be proven right or wrong, and that everybody was entitled to one, blah blah blah. I told her that I thought people that gave opinions, while spending no time researching what they were talking about, having no knowledge of what they speak of, etc., were ignorant, and that their opinions should be viewed as bad by their peers. I think that was the last straw.

In the end, it was probably just the way I treated the mods. They viewed themselves as "above reproach" and thought everything they said or did was gospel. I spent at least one day a week pointing out their hypocrisies, explaining how they misunderstood their own rules, etc. I think they just wanted me gone, which was fine.

If there's one major takeaway I had from my experience on BR.com and other unrelated social media platforms, its that moderators aren't necessarily these extremely wise, wisdom-filled, highly knowledgeable voices of reason. In some cases they are, but in cases like that site, its basically just somebody with more free time who volunteers so that they feel like they can control something in their life. MomGene specifically, I felt, knew very little about Ravens football, and shouldn't be chiming in nearly as much as she did about things she clearly knew nothing about.

Like I know nothing about quilting, so I don't think its appropriate for me to be a forum moderator of a quilting social media page.
well momgene was originally a skins fan, so there is that. Don't hold it against me...

Last edited:

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The only one I truly enjoyed chatting with was TheFranchise (name?). He disappeared though unfortunately.

He doesn't post here but this is his Twitter if you want to follow him. When I became a mod there for a little bit, me and him learned we had a lot in common besides being Ravens fans. We follow each other on Twitter, he writes articles about the Ravens for a website now.

https://twitter.com/MaxMikadoSAYS

Reactions: cdp

JAAM

Hall of Famer
He doesn't post here but this is his Twitter if you want to follow him. When I became a mod there for a little bit, me and him learned we had a lot in common besides being Ravens fans. We follow each other on Twitter, he writes articles about the Ravens for a website now.

https://twitter.com/MaxMikadoSAYS
Thanks JO!

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
On an unrelated note but still random thought, MP's facial reactions kill me when he gets a ticky-tacky call against him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
On an unrelated note but still random thought, MP's facial reactions kill me when he gets a ticky-tacky call against him.
He cracks me up, he’s so animated and dangly. He was on the sideline and Helen Keller could’ve read his lips when he yelled to one of the coaches on the sidelines “HE JUST THROWIN THAT BITCH UP THERE MAYNE”

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So the Seahawks are interested in Antonio Brown . Apparently other teams are too . I wonder if we are in the mix

if we are we wont know until after he's signed somewhere (including here lol)

ravens are tight-lipped at the best of times but are especially quiet around trade deadline time of year (obviously AB can be signed before or after the deadline but this is in that major transactional period)

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
if we are we wont know until after he's signed somewhere (including here lol)

ravens are tight-lipped at the best of times but are especially quiet around trade deadline time of year (obviously AB can be signed before or after the deadline but this is in that major transactional period)
When’s the deadline ?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
how do we feel about deshon elliott 6 weeks into his starting tenure? Im seeing a consistent playmaker, a guy who could end up a pretty respected name around the league, he flies around the field, plays very confident, nose for the ball, excellent tackler, excellent pursuit, has been a missile on blitzes, surprisingly solid on coverage.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
The thing I wonder about AB is, is would he be eligible to play week 9 for the Ravens even if the Ravens have 9 games left on the schedule because with no team an 8-game suspension is kinda hard to figure out.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
how do we feel about deshon elliott 6 weeks into his starting tenure? Im seeing a consistent playmaker, a guy who could end up a pretty respected name around the league, he flies around the field, plays very confident, nose for the ball, excellent tackler, excellent pursuit, has been a missile on blitzes, surprisingly solid on coverage.

he started safe trying not to make mistakes and has steadily grown into the role - week 6 was his best game of the season so far probably (and for what its worth PFF seems to agree)

he's starting to be more instinctive and trust what he's seeing and not second guess and play it overly safe the whole time

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The thing I wonder about AB is, is would he be eligible to play week 9 for the Ravens even if the Ravens have 9 games left on the schedule because with no team an 8-game suspension is kinda hard to figure out.

pretty sure the 8 games cant be back-dated onto a team he wasnt a member of yet so the 8 games would simply be the first 8 playing weeks of the nfl season regardless of teams

rossihunter2

Staff Member
for what it's worth this just popped up:

not sure how much i buy any of it but we'll see i guess - there's clearly support within the ravens locker room for the idea of adding AB - lamar, hollywood both vouch for him and marlon seemed to suggest he would be excited by the prospect on twitter

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

he started safe trying not to make mistakes and has steadily grown into the role - week 6 was his best game of the season so far probably (and for what its worth PFF seems to agree)

he's starting to be more instinctive and trust what he's seeing and not second guess and play it overly safe the whole time
Good as advertised. Tbh, in the limited games he played prior to this season, I figured he was going to be a staple in the defense. It was only a matter of staying healthy *knock on wood*

We basically have our safety tandem for the future in Clark and Elliott. As long as they stay healthy, they can only improve with time. At this point, they just need to grow together.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Few inches one snap and a little bit more teamwork on another and Elliott could’ve been responsible for 4 turnovers in one game, along with a TFL. Yeah I’d say it was his best game lol.

If he made the move I believe he would be an excellent LB as well, he is such a pursuing and tackling machine.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Good as advertised. Tbh, in the limited games he played prior to this season, I figured he was going to be a staple in the defense. It was only a matter of staying healthy *knock on wood*

We basically have our safety tandem for the future in Clark and Elliott. As long as they stay healthy, they can only improve with time. At this point, they just need to grow together.
I was worried after week 3 but Elliott has come on extreeeemely strong since then, behind only Humphrey in consistency and presence and playmaking. I expected way more growing pains and frustrating moments out of him but I also expected to see quite a few big plays made, it’s the lack of growing pains that has me more surprised than anything, he’s been rock solid since week 3 on top of being one of our top playmakers and motor guys.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I was worried after week 3 but Elliott has come on extreeeemely strong since then, behind only Humphrey in consistency and presence and playmaking. I expected way more growing pains and frustrating moments out of him but I also expected to see quite a few big plays made, it’s the lack of growing pains that has me more surprised than anything, he’s been rock solid since week 3 on top of being one of our top playmakers and motor guys.
Yep and you know what's crazy? Maybe it's just me, but it seems that it feeds off Queen. It's like those two are together making a tackle or big play. Now once Malik Harrison gets it going.....