• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yannick wanted to be here all along so I wonder if he's set to become even more of a beast now that he's effectively "home". This is gonna be a long bye week because I'm so excited to see this play out lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer
dez clearly wants to be in baltimore - everything he's shown has said he wants to be here

the practice squad is almost certainly a way to get him up to speed and see if he really can get that game fitness
as a PS WR he'll be going up against (and giving tough looks) against the best secondary in football - that's a great way to gauge whether he's going to add anything to our team
Good point. So Josina said we aren’t in on AB “at this time”, so I wonder if they signed Dez as a backup plan if we play the waiting game and bring AB in for a workout/sit down and see where he’s at mentally. Kind of contradicts what I said earlier but the front office could still take a chance.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I think it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway...

I think this officially reduces the likelihood of Matt Judon being a Raven in 2021 to about 0.2%...
I’m not sure I’d even give him that lol. That’s generous!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Good point. So Josina said we aren’t in on AB “at this time”, so I wonder if they signed Dez as a backup plan if we play the waiting game and bring AB in for a workout/sit down and see where he’s at mentally. Kind of contradicts what I said earlier but the front office could still take a chance.

if AB has any interest in money we will not be a competitive offer for him - we're basically hard against the cap with the ngakoue trade - im assuming we did a restructure that hasnt been announced yet that enabled us to get ngakoue under the cap (needed to free up probably around 1-2m to get him under)

unless the earl thomas grievance wasnt actually filed... but the NFLPA site apparently says it does

either way we could only offer AB vet minimum and if he has any other offer anywhere else he'd likely go there

and of course that's if the front office was ever interested which it sounds like they probably werent - post-ray-rice it's a hard sell to steve bisciotti that any player would be worth risking their domestic violence stance

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Boykin is a complete non factor, even a washed Dez should easily take his spot and offer more.
literally said this before the season lol, i think the coaching staff may have had some nerves about boykin and wanted a look at dez in advance before giving boykin his last chance.

i imagine boykin will spend the rest of the season as WR4/5 and primarily so he can play gunner

Reactions: cdp

JAAM

Hall of Famer
if AB has any interest in money we will not be a competitive offer for him - we're basically hard against the cap with the ngakoue trade - im assuming we did a restructure that hasnt been announced yet that enabled us to get ngakoue under the cap (needed to free up probably around 1-2m to get him under)

unless the earl thomas grievance wasnt actually filed... but the NFLPA site apparently says it does

either way we could only offer AB vet minimum and if he has any other offer anywhere else he'd likely go there

and of course that's if the front office was ever interested which it sounds like they probably werent - post-ray-rice it's a hard sell to steve bisciotti that any player would be worth risking their domestic violence stance
All great points. Time will tell, but I’m not betting on it happening.

literally said this before the season lol, i think the coaching staff may have had some nerves about boykin and wanted a look at dez in advance before giving boykin his last chance.

i imagine boykin will spend the rest of the season as WR4/5 and primarily so he can play gunner

I agree, I wanted Dez too. Ultimately it's an admission that they had high hopes for Boykin and he failed to deliver.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
So Hollywood at 1, Duv at 2 (please), Snead at 3 and Dez at 4? We need to get Proche involved also.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I agree, I wanted Dez too. Ultimately it's an admission that they had high hopes for Boykin and he failed to deliver.
i feel pretty strongly that Dez' skillset isnt one that just rapidly diminishes with age, as long as he isnt dropping passes he should still be able to deliver a few key catches which is all we should be asking of him anyway, a couple third down and red zone conversions when lamar needs a bail out completion, boykin has proven entirely that hes incapable of it, dez on the other hand i just dont know that he cant bring an upgrade over what boykins done so far.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
And that’s perfectly fine. I’m glad they essentially admitted their mistake. Boykin is just too soft (expect when blocking) and he never clicked with Lamar. Off topic, but if we aren’t going vertical, we need to get Duv and Proche much more involved. Love how the Niners play Deebo. Duv IS our Deebo. And could you imagine Hollywood on an end around/jet sweep like Tyreek?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
And that’s perfectly fine. I’m glad they essentially admitted their mistake. Boykin is just too soft (expect when blocking) and he never clicked with Lamar. Off topic, but if we aren’t going vertical, we need to get Duv and Proche much more involved. Love how the Niners play Deebo. Duv IS our Deebo. And could you imagine Hollywood on an end around/jet sweep like Tyreek?
duvernay is a weapon and needs to be used more straight up, designed playcalls for him is a necessity, and deebo is the perfect comp, but tbh i think duvernay might be faster than deebo by a good bit, he looks stupid fast when he gets going.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

if boykin's not starting at WR he's not going to be active - he's in the gunner rotation but he's not one of the primary gunners right now - Duvernay and Dorsey seem to be 1a and 1b right now and boykin's in the muddle of players behind them that includes justice hill and anthony averett so gunner isnt going to keep him active on gamedays if he's not doing it on the WR depth chart

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So Hollywood at 1, Duv at 2 (please), Snead at 3 and Dez at 4? We need to get Proche involved also.

snead is always going to be 2 or 3 in snap counts on offence just because he's a great blocker and we use him on a lot of our run pre-snap motions

duvernay's snaps are going to increase but he's unlikely to be number 2 unless we see him make some really big route running strides

if dez is ever activated he's likely to be in line for a lot of snaps because he doesnt offer anything on special teams so if he's activated it's going to be purely as a WR (and it wont be for blocking either)

so if we see dez get elevated to the 53 id be inclined to suggest he'd be in the mix at WR2 or WR3 just from a schematic standpoint

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
also, lets talk about this... we go from pass rush being the biggest weakness or 2nd biggest, we add one player, and now we have: ngakoue, campbell, wolfe, madubuike, bowser, judon, its crazy how you can have a group that isnt bad by any means but just cant get it done, and adding one star player turns a whole unit from a weakness to a major strength.

4 man rush with: ngakoue, campbell, madubuike, judon/bowser, and you can have all 5 of them on the line with the latter 2 being the guy who can either rush or drop or contain the screen as both bowser and judon are super solid at all 3. this could be a major turnaround for this defense come january

You're forgetting McPhee.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i feel pretty strongly that Dez' skillset isnt one that just rapidly diminishes with age, as long as he isnt dropping passes he should still be able to deliver a few key catches which is all we should be asking of him anyway, a couple third down and red zone conversions when lamar needs a bail out completion, boykin has proven entirely that hes incapable of it, dez on the other hand i just dont know that he cant bring an upgrade over what boykins done so far.

that's the big what if though tbf - last time we saw him he was dropping lots of passes