• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Calling it now, if we can't beat the Steelers either time, they're going undefeated.

Remaining Steelers home games (in no particular order): us, Bengals, Jaguars, WFT
Remaining Steelers road games (in no particular order): us, Bengals, Bills, Colts, Browns

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I feel like philosophically we don't do enough trickery. When we do it seems to be on special teams and it usually works quite well. But I was just watching a video of NFL trick plays and honestly we were on the receiving end way more than I'd have liked. Other teams especially the Pat's always used to bring that stuff. Now we're seeing the Cheifs do it. The steelers do it. The fucking browns do it. Why don't we do it? Especially in a time where the offense is sputtering. We've said it a million times, sometimes Lamar just needs 1 play. Let's work some interesting things in. 1 chunk play and maybe we can change the course of the game.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
If I am reading the ESPN article on the Ngakoue trade correctly, the Vikings have potential to be worse off trading him than they would have been holding onto him which is a totally Vikings thing to do when it involves trades with the Ravens. All he has to do is make the Pro Bowl and have the Ravens make the SB and the Vikings will also owe Jasonville their 3rd round pick which would be a much higher pick than the Ravens traded for him to begin with (about 25-30 picks higher).

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Calling it now, if we can't beat the Steelers either time, they're going undefeated.

Remaining Steelers home games (in no particular order): us, Bengals, Jaguars, WFT
Remaining Steelers road games (in no particular order): us, Bengals, Bills, Colts, Browns
And our 2nd game is on a short week and after a tough opponent. I think the Titans.

Hopefully the Bills can give them a loss too.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Probably belongs in the Lamar thread but this seems more active. Why do you guys think Lamar’s football comes out so wobbly?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This post should be rewritten or edited once we know what Stanley's numbers are next year.
Well, what we know so far is the beginning of 2020 through March 2021, he's going to make $47.1M in cash. He got a $22.5M signing bonus and a $16.25M option bonus, due in March.

So given how much cash they're paying up front, his 2021 base salary is going to be quite low. His 2021 cap could certainly be as low as $9-10M based on that.

While probably not unexpected that they would backload beyond the 2021 season, it just further emphasizes the point that if you're signing a player long term to a $20M AAV contract, and you're making a year 1 cap hit of $10M, your back-end cap hits are going to be in the $25-30M range most likely.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well, what we know so far is the beginning of 2020 through March 2021, he's going to make $47.1M in cash. He got a $22.5M signing bonus and a $16.25M option bonus, due in March.

So given how much cash they're paying up front, his 2021 base salary is going to be quite low. His 2021 cap could certainly be as low as $9-10M based on that.

While probably not unexpected that they would backload beyond the 2021 season, it just further emphasizes the point that if you're signing a player long term to a $20M AAV contract, and you're making a year 1 cap hit of $10M, your back-end cap hits are going to be in the $25-30M range most likely.
I'm pretty sure they will keep him close to the same amount he's making this year, which is around 12.8m

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
cant say definitively without the coaches film but my guess is the guy who was on boykin was reading lamar and broke on the ball inside as he hitched

that would be my guess
Hard to see the number on the broadcast, but if that's 27 over Boykin, he's one of the 3 players near the ball at the end.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
i think it's 31 who breaks from outside and is around the ball at the time snead's there but i havent been able to go back and look yet (game was blacked out in the uk this week so isnt on gamepass here yet)
I'll let you figure it out, lol. I do think you're right about whoever was on Boykin.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Also: Earl Thomas, Mark Ingram, Derek Wolfe, even kicked tires on Shane ray, It’s been a trend and I’m cool with it, and I definitely feel like davis was one of the ravens guys in that draft, although I’m not sure I care to pay him what hed ask for, he’s been mediocre as fuck
Didn't Corey Davis say on draft day he felt he belonged to the Ravens or something?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Chances of a coaching change at OC this week?