• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
We found our RB of the future in Dobbins. Hope we keep Gus to grind it out late in games. Dobbins is the real deal. Love his potential and reminds me SO much of Ray sans the left hook
The way he accelerates and his balance is so much like ray rice its crazy. Same for edwards in kc..

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
The BIG QUESTION everyone here is afraid to ask is have we seen the best Lamar ever will be in the NFL already????????
Could be possible. I think the accuracy issues will always be there tbh.. however, with current lamar we should still be able to win a SB..

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
The way he accelerates and his balance is so much like ray rice its crazy. Same for edwards in kc..
Right? maybe a bit of more contact/power vs rice shifty- but on his long run yesterdayday and his long run vs Houston, the way he "trips" into balance is exactly the same as rice's stiff arm to the ground move. Not to mention how well he can hit the ends. he will be 1 on 1 with a lb (an lb with an angle) and he will escape the corner. This kid is mad special.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
And a lot of them don't have better coaches or weapons, so I don't think its fair.
We all know that Lamar came into the league needing refinement on his passing. It’s always been the little things with Lamar, and for him not to be able to work on those things in person during the summer because of the virus is detrimental to his development as we’re seeing. Roman and his line aren’t doing him many favors either

I’m not going to turn into an apologist because I’m realistic and know the turnovers are all on him, but this off-season has been a complete anomaly and it’s tough on QBs, especially Lamar, in my opinion

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
We all know that Lamar came into the league needing refinement on his passing. It’s always been the little things with Lamar, and for him not to be able to work on those things in person during the summer because of the virus is detrimental to his development as we’re seeing. Roman and his line aren’t doing him many favors either

I’m not going to turn into an apologist because I’m realistic and know the turnovers are all on him, but this off-season has been a complete anomaly and it’s tough on QBs, especially Lamar, in my opinion
I agree with you but its been 8 weeks now and there hasnt been any improvement with him whatsoever. Im not putting blame all on him cause the play calling sucks but majority is on him imo

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

1. I don't really buy that he wasn't able to work on them during the offseason. I buy that he's not throwing to all the receivers he has no during the season, but the mistakes he's making don't require players he knows to be catching passes from him. Heck, the mistakes I saw him make on Sunday don't even require a football at all. Those things are resolved in the film room, with study. That's one game obviously, but you can work on technique, arm angles, footwork, and accuracy during a pandemic. A pandemic doesn't force you to be a recluse in your basement for 6 months with no contact with the outside world.
I can promise you that every single starting QB in this league, and probably most of the backup QBs, were working out either individually, with "coaches", or even with players during the entirety of the offseason. If that means I'm claiming they're breaking rules and protocols, then that's exactly it. You got guys league-wide breaking protocols for practice IN-SEASON, which is the time where they need practice reps the absolute least. There's no scenario in the world where that's not occurring between March-August. It may not be at the same levels they're accustomed to, but so be it.
2. I frankly just get tired of the excuses. I lived through the Joe Flacco years. There was never a year where there wasn't an excuse. There will always be issues with the offensive line. There will always be criticism of coaching. There will always be lack of weapons, playmakers, etc. There will always be injuries. There will always be "anomalies".
I never expected Lamar to be better than last year... that was pretty much impossible. I expected him to grow as a passer. He hasn't. He's not terrible, and its nowhere near the level where we need to start writing him off for it. but if I give him the "pandemic pass" this year, what's next years pass going to be?

I'll play spoiler now... the offense next year, from a personnel standpoint, won't look at that much different. The Tackles are set. I don't expect us to make any major additions at Guard, given how much draft capital we've already spent there. Maybe we get a new Center, but I'm not even expecting that. Best case scenario... you get MAYBE two new starters on the Oline for 2021.
I'm not expecting major changes at pass catchers either. Brown, Duvernay, Andrews, all here. All on cheap contracts. All going to be parts of the offense. Dobbins and Edwards likely to keep their roles in the backfield. Maybe we add a possession receiver. And guess what... Roman is going to be the OC next year also.

I fully expect us to spend most of our draft capital, which is dwindling, on the defense. Most of our front seven, in fact, isn't under contract next year. We'll have questions at Corner next year also.

The offenses' resurrection, if it occurs, is like 90% likely to come from coaches and players already on the roster. I'd bet a large sum of money on that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So Marlon was on the “injury” report most of last week if I recall with an “illness”. I really hope we didn’t know and he tested negative and this is all just a coincidence because we as a team could get fucked hard by the virus and by the league

he tested negative every single day until sunday's test - but what i dont get about any of this is how any ravens player on the sideline or in a huddle with him during the game on sunday couldnt be classed as a close contact

surely the NFL's new rules as of week 6 means that at least the DB room most likely would all need to isolate for 5 days minimum (like brandon williams had to do)

i dont get the rules at all if they dont

Simba

Staff Member
Close contacts would still be able to play Sunday if they isolate and return all negative tests between now and then. Doesn't necessarily mean all 6 contacts will be inactive Sunday.

Just uncomforting considering what happened with the Titans earlier this season. Good thing that all tests came back negative today but still have to hold our breath over the next few days.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
More interesting news on the COVID front...
1. It seems the "close contact" personnel were deemed as such due to unmasked, social situations outside of team facilities.
2. Moving the Ravens/Colts game to another day is extremely problematic from a scheduling standpoint, given that the Colts play Thursday 11/12. I can't imagine the league would be willing to not have a Thursday game at all, and the NFLPA would never sign off on playing on like 1-2 days rest.

So highly likely the game remains on Sunday or gets postponed until later in the season all together.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
How hard is it to follow protocol and wear a damn mask.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well fuck

i commented earlier that it was ridiculous that none had been identified given the new protocols from 2/3 weeks ago

my guess is their isolation period will backdate to Monday and they’ll have to have all negatives but they should still be able to play Sunday unless they have more cases - if we do get more positive tests though I’d assume our game would be postponed because the contact tracing would almost certainly identify exponentially more close contacts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
How hard is it to follow protocol and wear a damn mask.

Given that he played a game Sunday while his test was positive my guess is that it was sideline/locker room reactions on game day where they’re not expected or supposed to be masked - alternatively it could have been at practice

no suggestion so far that anyone was not masked when they should have been

in fact the fact that it’s only 6 close contacts probably means mask-wearing has generally been good would be my guess

rossihunter2

Staff Member
1. It seems the "close contact" personnel were deemed as such due to unmasked, social situations outside of team facilities.
2. Moving the Ravens/Colts game to another day is extremely problematic from a scheduling standpoint, given that the Colts play Thursday 11/12. I can't imagine the league would be willing to not have a Thursday game at all, and the NFLPA would never sign off on playing on like 1-2 days rest.

So highly likely the game remains on Sunday or gets postponed until later in the season all together.

Where did you see that it was interactions outside the facility?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

also they already moved a Thursday night game this year - bills chiefs was moved from a Thursday to Sunday to allow them to play the titans on a Tuesday (iirc) because of the Titans outbreak