• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
in light of lamar's comments on the Eisen show here's what Pats LB Adrian Phillips just said:

nothing has rang truer - right now if we dont get players undisciplined with their eyes at the LoS we are not beating them

Hasn't that always been the case for option based offenses?
I haven't really looked into the offense - which we run this year and what they changed compared to last year.
Are we really running the same offense we did last year - is it that obvious or am i missing something?

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have to say the league is way overdue and don't agree with you that this will hinder a team for taking a minority coach / gm, just because the team youre taking him from will get a comp pick.

If you are a team looking to contend you are not about to make your competition better. That coach is going to be your coach of last resort.

It will certainly make there be more minority assistants, because everyone will be daring a team to poach their coaches now, but as for head coaches I think it will have the opposite effect.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If you are a team looking to contend you are not about to make your competition better. That coach is going to be your coach of last resort.

It will certainly make there be more minority assistants, because everyone will be daring a team to poach their coaches now, but as for head coaches I think it will have the opposite effect.

i think you're vastly over-rating how important 3rd round comp picks are to most organisations - think how few organisations value comp picks the way we do

the median number of total comp picks since they were introduced is 24 which is below the mean (average) of nearly 27

the ravens have 52 comp picks in that period (and i think it's specifically baltimore they're referring to which obviously didnt exist the first 2 years the rule was in place either)

those 52 picks are 9 more than the 2nd placed Patriots and Cowboys

there's a bunch of teams hoarding these comp picks at the top

when has signing a free agent ever not happened because the team you signed them from would get a comp pick?

if you're hiring a HC or GM you're definitely hoping they'll be around longer than any random free agent

rossihunter2

Staff Member
this all being said - im not sure that the playcalling's really been an issue at least for the last 2 weeks or so - simple (as the phillips said) doesn't necessarily mean easy to deal with as long as we execute those concepts well we should still be able to win on offence

the difference this season is that there's less margin for error as other teams have kept up with our scheme - a lack of execution last year in certain spots wouldnt nix a play because the offence was new - the concepts are the same but defences have adjusted to them

what's concerning is lamar talking about teams being able to call out our plays before they happen which takes the numbers advantage the offence gained last year and turns it actually into a numbers advantage back the other way

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
this all being said - im not sure that the playcalling's really been an issue at least for the last 2 weeks or so - simple (as the phillips said) doesn't necessarily mean easy to deal with as long as we execute those concepts well we should still be able to win on offence

the difference this season is that there's less margin for error as other teams have kept up with our scheme - a lack of execution last year in certain spots wouldnt nix a play because the offence was new - the concepts are the same but defences have adjusted to them

what's concerning is lamar talking about teams being able to call out our plays before they happen which takes the numbers advantage the offence gained last year and turns it actually into a numbers advantage back the other way
If they're calling out the plays, and Lamar knows they're doing that, is it on Lamar to make an audible?

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
If they're calling out the plays, and Lamar knows they're doing that, is it on Lamar to make an audible?

If he's able to change the play on his own at the LOS then yeah; it's on Lamar to check out of that and into something more advantageous.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
in light of lamar's comments on the Eisen show here's what Pats LB Adrian Phillips just said:

nothing has rang truer - right now if we dont get players undisciplined with their eyes at the LoS we are not beating them

He’s not wrong at all and it infuriates me

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think you're vastly over-rating how important 3rd round comp picks are to most organisations - think how few organisations value comp picks the way we do

the median number of total comp picks since they were introduced is 24 which is below the mean (average) of nearly 27

the ravens have 52 comp picks in that period (and i think it's specifically baltimore they're referring to which obviously didnt exist the first 2 years the rule was in place either)

those 52 picks are 9 more than the 2nd placed Patriots and Cowboys

there's a bunch of teams hoarding these comp picks at the top

when has signing a free agent ever not happened because the team you signed them from would get a comp pick?

if you're hiring a HC or GM you're definitely hoping they'll be around longer than any random free agent

In order to get a comp pick with that formula you had to lose more players then you got that had some value and not resign more AND for them to be 3rd-round comp picks you had to lose very good players and have that be the case. The tradeoff was simply not worth it.

There are plenty of solid head coaching candidates in college and that are former head coaches that can be hired without needing to improve another team. That is not a trade off a team will be willing to make. If I am stuck between two candidates I am going to pick the one that does not improve my rivals every single time because the cost is not losing a core player.

Edit: Basically to me it is the difference, using the old system, of "Dont sign any free agents" versus "Do not sign one of these 2-3 free agents". A LOT more teams are willing to take the latter position.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
you guys remember when the bills fired greg roman and we all claimed he was rex ryans scapegoat?

i think we owe our old friend rex an apology.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

we are going to have to agree to disagree. I don't believe any team will decide not to hire a coach because the team he is currently coaching will get a 3rd round comp pick.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
you guys remember when the bills fired greg roman and we all claimed he was rex ryans scapegoat?

i think we owe our old friend rex an apology.
It was a little ridiculous for him to be fired after game two. He absolutely was Ryans scapegoat at that point.