• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hasn't that always been the case for option based offenses?
I haven't really looked into the offense - which we run this year and what they changed compared to last year.
Are we really running the same offense we did last year - is it that obvious or am i missing something?
In fairness, the Chiefs offense is extremely simplistic with a lot of smoke and mirrors also. We've known this for years now.

The difference is a significantly more deadly thrower of the football and better personnel on the outside.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
My take on the whole "Lamar criticizing the offense thing":
1. I don't know that "the defense knows our plays" thing is exactly how it reads. Like his own examples of that happening were like "they know when its a run or a pass". Like that's significantly different than knowing what the actual play is.

If you know the actual play, then you know the route concepts and where the receivers will be, and you know what the blocking scheme is doing and where the holes should be. I don't see that, and that's not what he said. The Steelers linebacker made a comment on his interception about how he knew Lamar was going to do that through film study, because he saw the same play earlier in a game and they didn't go that route.

That's not "knowing the play". That's knowing play calling tendencies. Every play caller has tendencies. Alignments, personnel groupings, etc. Some coaches are better than others at providing misdirection, but its not like they're literally out there knowing where every player is going to be on the play.

2. Obviously, it goes without saying, but I have no respect for these sort of public comments. They don't belong in the public, they don't make Lamar, Roman, or the organization look good at all (in fact it makes everybody, including the QB, look incompetent), and there is literally nothing to be gained from this.

3. This, for me, is your classic "stones in glass houses" type thing. Like if you're going to be taking these veiled shots at your coaching staff, honest or not, your game better be air tight. And I don't think anybody can honestly say that Lamar's game is air tight at the moment, especially as a passer.

I'm all for honesty and transparency in the public if that's how you want to play it. But I find a lot of people that play this card don't think it should be a two way street. Like if Roman went to the podium today and had a list of things that Lamar is struggling with, it would actually make me smile. Because it would be ACTUAL transparency and honesty, not just a one way street. But he's not going to do that, and I don't expect him to.

That's why I laugh at the public. When players criticize coaches, fans look at the coaches and be like "see you gotta do better". When Bruce Arians factually criticizes Tom Brady in public, people are like "why are you airing your dirty laundry and calling out your best player". Two way street, not one way street.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
@JoeyFlex5 Willie up the near seam
willie gif 3.gif

What’s the significance?
sorry. I replied on youtube and should have filled in the blanks here.
I got your response and you could be right. He isn't looking deep and is still looking middle of the field mostly...which is ultimately a problem I agree.
I think in this instance however he would have needed to buy time and move the pocket

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@JoeyFlex5 Willie up the near seam
View attachment 2524

sorry. I replied on youtube and should have filled in the blanks here.
I got your response and you could be right. He isn't looking deep and is still looking middle of the field mostly...which is ultimately a problem I agree.
I think in this instance however he would have needed to buy time and move the pocket
Ahh ok. For some reason I thought Rossi was the poster lol, brain fried... but yeah it’s a toss up, the more I looked at it the more I feel like maybe I’m trusting too much in Hollywood’s speed, because he would’ve had to really outrun an angle there, and I believe he probably could have outran it, but the throw itself would’ve been a super risky one just because if it’s not leading perfectly then it’s uncatchable and if it’s under thrown by any amount then it becomes a punt return for the defense

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ahh ok. For some reason I thought Rossi was the poster lol, brain fried... but yeah it’s a toss up, the more I looked at it the more I feel like maybe I’m trusting too much in Hollywood’s speed, because he would’ve had to really outrun an angle there, and I believe he probably could have outran it, but the throw itself would’ve been a super risky one just because if it’s not leading perfectly then it’s uncatchable and if it’s under thrown by any amount then it becomes a punt return for the defense

if i may throw in my two cents - it looks to me with the way the linebackers drop that this play is all about taking what's there when it's presented and not hoping for the big shot

snead gets the 4 yards and then more after the catch because lamar made a quick decision and i think it was a good decision

the shot's there if he's got an extra tick in the pocket but im not sure he does and with the way the game was going we just needed some offence and to stay on schedule - maybe we hit the home run there if he holds it longer but more likely we end up with the incomplete and get behind the chains and out of rhythm

if we start getting the ball out short to these guys in rhythm those deeper throws will still be there to be had - hollywood's not suddenly going to stop getting open but the quicker throws help nullify the effectiveness of the pass rush which is pretty important right now

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
if i may throw in my two cents - it looks to me with the way the linebackers drop that this play is all about taking what's there when it's presented and not hoping for the big shot

snead gets the 4 yards and then more after the catch because lamar made a quick decision and i think it was a good decision

the shot's there if he's got an extra tick in the pocket but im not sure he does and with the way the game was going we just needed some offence and to stay on schedule - maybe we hit the home run there if he holds it longer but more likely we end up with the incomplete and get behind the chains and out of rhythm

if we start getting the ball out short to these guys in rhythm those deeper throws will still be there to be had - hollywood's not suddenly going to stop getting open but the quicker throws help nullify the effectiveness of the pass rush which is pretty important right now
Yeah I agree, I think it was the right move, I really liked what I saw in the second half, i try to temper my expectations after seeing big struggles in like 5 out of 8 games, but Lamar was dealing for real in the second half and there wasn’t a heavy dose of run game either, he was back to doing the little things that made him different last year, like looking off defenders, spot throwing into tight windows in the middle of the field with anticipation, and that seam to Boyle was something else he did incredibly well last year that hasn’t been there this year, I was really encouraged by what I saw.

I still would like to see us be able to turn that dink and dunk game into home runs more often but any fan of any team would say that lol

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Yeah I agree, I think it was the right move, I really liked what I saw in the second half, i try to temper my expectations after seeing big struggles in like 5 out of 8 games, but Lamar was dealing for real in the second half and there wasn’t a heavy dose of run game either, he was back to doing the little things that made him different last year, like looking off defenders, spot throwing into tight windows in the middle of the field with anticipation, and that seam to Boyle was something else he did incredibly well last year that hasn’t been there this year, I was really encouraged by what I saw.

I still would like to see us be able to turn that dink and dunk game into home runs more often but any fan of any team would say that lol
I think lamar just isnt comfortable going deep.. there is no way hollywood isnt open down field

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I feel like Tenn is worse than last year. Especially on defense.
Significantly worse on defense.

Only problem I have with Tennessee is how the schedule fell. They get 10 days to prep for this game, and we're on a short week.

If our defense plays like its been playing, its a game we should win in my eyes.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Significantly worse on defense.

Only problem I have with Tennessee is how the schedule fell. They get 10 days to prep for this game, and we're on a short week.

If our defense plays like its been playing, its a game we should win in my eyes.

Totally agree here.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Was he though? Or did Rex just see a trend repeating itself and he was bold enough to act on it
I have a friend who is a Bills fan, who also believes he was a Rex scapegoat. Thinks it was ridiculous to fire him after that game, especially since it was a high scoring game. They had just finished playing the Ravens and Jets, both had good defenses and scored 31 points against the Jets. Not enough to go by, especially having the best rush offense the previous year.

They started 0-2 in 2016, but Rex was to blame for the defensive woes.

Simba

Staff Member
I think lamar just isnt comfortable going deep.. there is no way hollywood isnt open down field

It's a combination of factors... Lamar has not been sharp downfield this year when the opportunity presents itself. But also, the opportunity hasn't presented itself too much because the OL is suspect (especially in the middle) and those downfield plays don't have time to develop.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
It's a combination of factors... Lamar has not been sharp downfield this year when the opportunity presents itself. But also, the opportunity hasn't presented itself too much because the OL is suspect (especially in the middle) and those downfield plays don't have time to develop.

I agree. He's clearly feeling the pressure and is rushing to determine whether he should run, escape, or throw. That causes bad decisions, hence the interception for a td by Pitt in the first series that's being discussed above.

That OLine was exceptional last year. Llamar could bounce around and evaluate all day. You just don't see that amount of time this year. It's bound to affect him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree. He's clearly feeling the pressure and is rushing to determine whether he should run, escape, or throw. That causes bad decisions, hence the interception for a td by Pitt in the first series that's being discussed above.

That OLine was exceptional last year. Llamar could bounce around and evaluate all day. You just don't see that amount of time this year. It's bound to affect him.

i think you could argue the 2nd int against the steelers was more due to pressure - iirc the first one was just an unforced error unrelated to pressure - he just didnt notice the linebacker

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ryan Clark just disqualified himself as an analyst. His under 25 qb ranking:
1st Murray, 2nd Herbert, 3rd Lamar, 4th Burrow 5th Josh Allen
This doesn't even need a comment it's abysmal.