• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
I’m not talking about becoming the full time playcaller, but being able to identify when your guys gameplan has been countered and changing the philosophy and calling different plays for a half.

and we know that harbaugh is a Notorious delegator, he’s always been extremely loyal to his coordinators and delegates playcalling to them and doesn’t intervene like a mcvay or shanahan would do, and that’s fine, but at some point you wish you had that kind of coach when shit gets stale. We all felt this way with marty and trestman and you damn sure aren’t gonna try to convince me that those were purely execution issues lol.

Is that what happened against The Colts though? I'm not sure if that was John Harbaugh call but it definitely seem like some changes were made but at the same time Greg Roman won assistant of the year in 2019. It probably be hard for any head coach to jump in and try to make changes with the success Roman had last year. I'm not saying Greg Roman is prefect but there are some outside things that are going on that are out of his control especially when it comes to the offensive line, wide receivers dropping passes, LJ not making the right throws fast enough and etc.

We all know John Harbaugh philosophy when it comes to a offense. He wants it to be run first offense if not just pretty good rushing attack that feed off that with playaction plays. That's been the philosophy from Cam Cameron on up.It's just that Roman may run the most less wide receiver friendly offense among them all.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
My problem with this though is that vs Pitt the first time we absolutely shoved it down their throats, and then we stop running, they hadn’t proved at any point that they could stop us from running the ball yet we passed every time we got to the red zone and then stalled. You could say the same for us pulling dobbins frequently vs Tennessee when he was having his way with them. Yes we didn’t execute, but there are moments where you seriously wonder why the coaches did what they did and you definitely get the sense that execution would have been better had we rode the hot hand, and it’s been a thing for a while, ever since kubiak left harbaugh has had a thing for forcing the rb by committee concept and it’s rarely worked, and now we’ve had a star rb twice now have his hot hand cooled off by our coaching staff.

honestly That’s my biggest issue, is that when we do decide to switch it up we do it in the worst way, we don’t wanna be predictable by continuing to run on first down so we take the hot hand off the field and then run a play that literally every fan watching could’ve predicted pre snap, the one read jet motion passes and drags have been the only staple of this passing game and it’s beyond stale and doesn’t work and won’t suddenly start working, if you can’t call a proper passing game then at least ride your hot hand as much as possible
1. Play calling on offense has been somewhat of an issue, though I'm not sure why that's on John.
2. I agree that Dobbins should have seen a lot more carries earlier, but again, I fail to see where shifting from Ingram to Dobbins more would have put us in a better spot to win some of the games we lost. I think it was immaterial against New England, I certainly think it was immaterial against PIT (both times obviously), and running the ball beyond the first half against KC was largely a waste of time.
So while I agree with the allegiance to Ingram being stupid, I think Tennessee is MAYBE the only game where it had a material impact on the outcome. Like some of the games I wanted more of Dobbins, like Indy, we also won.
3. I fail to see examples of what you're describing against PIT. I see one example of us fumbling in the red zone, which was on a 2nd down play from the 8 yard line, but I also think running the ball in the red zone and especially inside 10 yard line becomes very difficult, since you're, by definition, running into 11 man fronts.
I'm not seeing examples of what you're describing in the play-by-play.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
I listed all the reasons, dissent from players and complaining on Twitter along with just shit body language in game, it looks entirely different, the team lost its swagger and confidence, as a head coach who’s considered more a motivator coach than anything it’s on him to get that part of it right.

I’m hoping what we saw yesterday was a sign of things to come
Do you enjoy losing? It's normal to be frustrated especially with how we played last year I just don't see it of course they won't look like last year we probably never will again

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Do you enjoy losing? It's normal to be frustrated especially with how we played last year I just don't see it of course they won't look like last year we probably never will again
Of course I don’t like losing lol and I get frustration but harbaughs teams have always had a great culture and attitude and drama/issues always stayed in house, that’s one thing harbaugh has NEVER failed or even wavered with, we’ve had a consistently great culture and a classy image under him, and the public dissent is just very different from anything we’ve seen from a harbaugh team.

even the famous mutiny was kept behind closed doors until after the season from what I recall

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Of course I don’t like losing lol and I get frustration but harbaughs teams have always had a great culture and attitude and drama/issues always stayed in house, that’s one thing harbaugh has NEVER failed or even wavered with, we’ve had a consistently great culture and a classy image under him, and the public dissent is just very different from anything we’ve seen from a harbaugh team.

even the famous mutiny was kept behind closed doors until after the season from what I recall

i also think the dissent is overblown - it was a tweet and a couple of subtle comments in a presser after 1 disappointing loss...

basically nothing before or since...

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler

A professional athlete tweeted something after losing an extremely frustrating game against there biggest rival to me isn't a big deal he deleted it for a reason it was an emotional decision we all get heated sometimes and make dumb decisions they are humans and competitors

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i also think the dissent is overblown - it was a tweet and a couple of subtle comments in a presser after 1 disappointing loss...

basically nothing before or since...
A professional athlete tweeted something after losing an extremely frustrating game against there biggest rival to me isn't a big deal he deleted it for a reason it was an emotional decision we all get heated sometimes and make dumb decisions they are humans and competitors
I know, I get all of this lol, it still happened and has never happened with a harbaugh team to the best of my knowledge. It’s a new precedent is all

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

I'm not sure I understand the "public dissent" aspect. What, specifically, has been involved in that?

The max I've seen is Hollywood complaining about targets, which quite frankly, is immaterial.

I've seen WAY more public comments made by players about this team in the past.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure I understand the "public dissent" aspect. What, specifically, has been involved in that?

The max I've seen is Hollywood complaining about targets, which quite frankly, is immaterial.

I've seen WAY more public comments made by players about this team in the past.
Can you give some examples? Because I don’t recall ever hearing players publicly complain about coaching in Baltimore

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can you give some examples? Because I don’t recall ever hearing players publicly complain about coaching in Baltimore
Well, candidly, most were after players left. I don't think I need to go through the list of players who criticized John after they left.

That being said, I really haven't seen anything publicly from current players this year criticizing coaches either. You'll get some nonsense from guys like Brown on Twitter and the occasional podium comment, but its hardly worth mentioning because they're so frequent around the league.

That's why I never listen or read postgame pressers from coaches or players, save for content regarding injuries. Its all just emotional, not objective and real.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
1. Play calling on offense has been somewhat of an issue, though I'm not sure why that's on John.
2. I agree that Dobbins should have seen a lot more carries earlier, but again, I fail to see where shifting from Ingram to Dobbins more would have put us in a better spot to win some of the games we lost. I think it was immaterial against New England, I certainly think it was immaterial against PIT (both times obviously), and running the ball beyond the first half against KC was largely a waste of time.
So while I agree with the allegiance to Ingram being stupid, I think Tennessee is MAYBE the only game where it had a material impact on the outcome. Like some of the games I wanted more of Dobbins, like Indy, we also won.
3. I fail to see examples of what you're describing against PIT. I see one example of us fumbling in the red zone, which was on a 2nd down play from the 8 yard line, but I also think running the ball in the red zone and especially inside 10 yard line becomes very difficult, since you're, by definition, running into 11 man fronts.
I'm not seeing examples of what you're describing in the play-by-play.
It’s difficult to run in the red zone so don’t even bother? It’s also difficult to pass in the red zone, so we shouldn’t bother there either and just kick field goals.

yesterday in all of our red zone possessions, we ran the ball either for a TD or to the 1(which possibly could’ve been a TD had the Steelers not laid on the ball and delayed), we shredded them on the ground whether we were in the red zone or not, and when we last played them we shredded them on the ground between the 20s and then got pass happy in the red zone and stalled, same as the Titans game.

the results yesterday suggest very strongly that your theory here is wrong, especially considering we did it with a small fraction of the talent compared to the previous games.

Saying we shouldn’t run in the red zone because the box gets tighter is frankly ridiculous, run lanes are gonna be the same regardless because it’s all horizontal spacing and the field is 50 yards wide no matter where you line up, but throwing windows are the ones that shrink dramatically when you can’t threaten vertically.

And you don’t see where going from Ingram to dobbins brings results? Maybe not directly in record because more shit went wrong than just running Ingram in our losses, indirectly though it very well could have made a difference. Ingram handoffs have been wasted downs, many times, and even on some of Ingram’s decent gains you see a lack of juice from him directly resulting in missed opportunities, windows that dobbins would’ve blasted through for big gains but instead it’s Ingram hitting a hole just as it’s closing for a modest gain, and then you have to factor in the snowball effect from there on out when we are gashing for double digit gains time and time again, so yes, replacing Ingram’s carries with dobbins throughout the year would have made a difference.

And I wasn’t necessarily saying play calling is a harbaugh issue, I’m saying that I am sometimes envious of teams with great offensive minds at HC who can step in on the fly and change it up when needed, like the mcvays and shanahans and reids, is that ok with you? Like is it ok that I wish harbaugh was more inclined with the Xs and Os? Or do you have to write 3 more bullet points as to why I’m not allowed to feel that way lol

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s difficult to run in the red zone so don’t even bother? It’s also difficult to pass in the red zone, so we shouldn’t bother there either and just kick field goals.

yesterday in all of our red zone possessions, we ran the ball either for a TD or to the 1(which possibly could’ve been a TD had the Steelers not laid on the ball and delayed), we shredded them on the ground whether we were in the red zone or not, and when we last played them we shredded them on the ground between the 20s and then got pass happy in the red zone and stalled, same as the Titans game.

the results yesterday suggest very strongly that your theory here is wrong, especially considering we did it with a small fraction of the talent compared to the previous games.

Saying we shouldn’t run in the red zone because the box gets tighter is frankly ridiculous, run lanes are gonna be the same regardless because it’s all horizontal spacing and the field is 50 yards wide no matter where you line up, but throwing windows are the ones that shrink dramatically when you can’t threaten vertically.

And you don’t see where going from Ingram to dobbins brings results? Maybe not directly in record because more shit went wrong than just running Ingram in our losses, indirectly though it very well could have made a difference. Ingram handoffs have been wasted downs, many times, and even on some of Ingram’s decent gains you see a lack of juice from him directly resulting in missed opportunities, windows that dobbins would’ve blasted through for big gains but instead it’s Ingram hitting a hole just as it’s closing for a modest gain, and then you have to factor in the snowball effect from there on out when we are gashing for double digit gains time and time again, so yes, replacing Ingram’s carries with dobbins throughout the year would have made a difference.

And I wasn’t necessarily saying play calling is a harbaugh issue, I’m saying that I am sometimes envious of teams with great offensive minds at HC who can step in on the fly and change it up when needed, like the mcvays and shanahans and reids, is that ok with you? Like is it ok that I wish harbaugh was more inclined with the Xs and Os? Or do you have to write 3 more bullet points as to why I’m not allowed to feel that way lol
Here's where I'm at:
1. I know I criticize Roman a lot. But it took McVay a year to adjust his offense after his old one got figured out by Patricia and BB. It's not easy to to change things up. But i see a trend when I look at Roman's résumé. Failed to adjust twice and he is on his way to fail again, but he might get a pass because of injuries and our current situation. I just wish we hired somebody like Wink on offense.

2. But as you said, Ingram's highly ineffective. He hasn't recovered yet or his body is just done. Here's the thing though, it's hard to demote your #1 rb - especially a well-respected leader. Fortunately, Ingram has been a class act and didn't say anything negative, even though this is very hard to cope with. A HC can easily lose the locker room if he doesn't communicate in a transparent way. Harbs has handled this and also prior situations very well. That's what makes harbs such a good HC imho. Even though it can be annoying for us fans to wait for such actions.

3. Roman might be the OC, but ultimately it's harbs who's in charge of the offense. So yes play calling is on harbs.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
1. I know I criticize Roman a lot. But it took McVay a year to adjust his offense after his old one got figured out by Patricia and BB. It's not easy to to change things up. But i see a trend when I look at Roman's résumé. Failed to adjust twice and he is on his way to fail again, but he might get a pass because of injuries and our current situation.

2. But as you said, Ingram's highly ineffective. He hasn't recovered yet or his body is just done. Here's the thing though, it's hard to demote your #1 rb - especially a well-respected leader. Fortunately, Ingram has been a class act and didn't say anything negative, even though this is very hard to cope with. A HC can easily lose the locker room if he doesn't communicate in a transparent way. Harbs has handled this and also prior situations very well. That's what makes harbs such a good HC imho. Even though it can be annoying for us fans to wait for such actions.

3. Roman might be the OC, but ultimately it's harbs who's in charge of the offense. So yes play calling is on harbs.
Points 1 and 2 I totally agree with, the third one idk because going off of history harbaugh has left his playcallers to do their jobs for better or worse.

unseating a leader as a starter is tough to do but when he plays a position like RB and we have a high investment in a young potential superstar, it just has to be understood, and you’re right that’s the kind of thing that has made harbaugh such a great coach because he has always handled these situations well, but I feel like harbaugh might just be a little too sentimental with some of his decisions lol.

Reactions: cdp

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

1. I didn't say never run in the red zone. I said if you're going to pretend like because you're breaking off chunk runs between the 20s that you will do the same in the red zone, then you're going to be wrong a lot more than you're going to be right. Its hard to break off big runs in the red zone because there's literally no where to run. Its just like I don't expect deep shots in the end zone from the 15 yard line... its not going to work because there's always going to be coverage there.
2. I don't put much stock into what we did yesterday being a barometer for anything because a) our only offensive options were run the ball, throw an interception, throw an incompletion or get sacked. The likelihood of us completing a pass for even a yard or two was so small until late that it was a waste of time.
3. What I'm saying about the first Pittsburgh game is that, what you are suggesting, which is we ran the ball down their throat, then got cute in the red zone, and pass happy, didn't actually occur. Like it literally never happened. Its remembering things that didn't happen.
There weren't any "stalled" drives in the red zone. We were 3/5 in the red zone that came. The two failed scoring drives involved turnovers by Lamar.
The first was a sack/fumble on 2nd and goal from the 8 (a pretty good spot to throw), after we ran the entire drive.
The second was a 4th and 3 (again, not an obvious running down) that actually turned into a running play, where Lamar fumbled. We literally ran the ball the entire possession.

So this idea that we got inside the 20 and just started chucking it isn't rooted in anything to be found on film.

AND... I actually looked at the Tennessee game, and I'm not seeing instances of that either.

1/4 in the red zone. The 3 failed attempts were as follows:
1. 3 plays. Pass on first down, run on 2nd down (for 1 whole yard), designed pass on 3rd down that turned into a Lamar scramble for 2 yards. Note that was the 2nd drive in the game, where we hadn't really developed the run yet, and most of the yardage from that drive came via the air.
2. After getting a 1st down in the red zone, we went run for -3 yards, scramble for 1 yard, and an incomplete pass.
3. We were in the 2 minute drill, where throwing is pretty much the only reasonable play selection. We actually drove the ball 65 yards down the field in said 2 minutes, almost entirely via the pass, and then stalled and kicked a game-tying FG.

So like I'm failing to see ANY drive in those two games where we did what you indicated. And one thing that was clear via the play analysis was that, as we got into the red zone, we ran the ball much, much, much less effectively.

4. As for Ingram, if its not impacting the outcome, quite frankly, I don't care. Like sure we could have scored my points or gained more yardage or whatever, but those stats don't matter at the end of the year. If Ingram was costing us games with his ineffectiveness, I'd be the first to get rid of him. And I'm still all for him being inactive. But the rubber didn't really meet the road until pretty much the Tennessee game.

There's no way anybody is going to come up with an explanation that involves Dobbins getting more carries than Ingram against KC and us winning that game. He didn't play in either Pittsburgh loss, and nobody was effective at running the ball against NE.

So like yeah, its an example of coaches not evaluating players properly, but I'm not seeing that impacting the teams record.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

not ravens but putting it here because it’s flacco:

how bad do things have to be that joe flacco was in some sort of fight lol?
Like what?

what could possibly have happened to cause that sort or altercation with joe flacco lol

Alex Lewis and Joe Flacco. They might as well have the same logo but make it green.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There's no way anybody is going to come up with an explanation that involves Dobbins getting more carries than Ingram against KC and us winning that game. He didn't play in either Pittsburgh loss, and nobody was effective at running the ball against NE.

i mean i wish dobbins had been getting more carries since then

but to back up your point... if i recall correctly im pretty sure dobbins led the ravens RB group in snaps during the KC game

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. I didn't say never run in the red zone. I said if you're going to pretend like because you're breaking off chunk runs between the 20s that you will do the same in the red zone, then you're going to be wrong a lot more than you're going to be right. Its hard to break off big runs in the red zone because there's literally no where to run. Its just like I don't expect deep shots in the end zone from the 15 yard line... its not going to work because there's always going to be coverage there.
2. I don't put much stock into what we did yesterday being a barometer for anything because a) our only offensive options were run the ball, throw an interception, throw an incompletion or get sacked. The likelihood of us completing a pass for even a yard or two was so small until late that it was a waste of time.
3. What I'm saying about the first Pittsburgh game is that, what you are suggesting, which is we ran the ball down their throat, then got cute in the red zone, and pass happy, didn't actually occur. Like it literally never happened. Its remembering things that didn't happen.
There weren't any "stalled" drives in the red zone. We were 3/5 in the red zone that came. The two failed scoring drives involved turnovers by Lamar.
The first was a sack/fumble on 2nd and goal from the 8 (a pretty good spot to throw), after we ran the entire drive.
The second was a 4th and 3 (again, not an obvious running down) that actually turned into a running play, where Lamar fumbled. We literally ran the ball the entire possession.

So this idea that we got inside the 20 and just started chucking it isn't rooted in anything to be found on film.

AND... I actually looked at the Tennessee game, and I'm not seeing instances of that either.

1/4 in the red zone. The 3 failed attempts were as follows:
1. 3 plays. Pass on first down, run on 2nd down (for 1 whole yard), designed pass on 3rd down that turned into a Lamar scramble for 2 yards. Note that was the 2nd drive in the game, where we hadn't really developed the run yet, and most of the yardage from that drive came via the air.
2. After getting a 1st down in the red zone, we went run for -3 yards, scramble for 1 yard, and an incomplete pass.
3. We were in the 2 minute drill, where throwing is pretty much the only reasonable play selection. We actually drove the ball 65 yards down the field in said 2 minutes, almost entirely via the pass, and then stalled and kicked a game-tying FG.

So like I'm failing to see ANY drive in those two games where we did what you indicated. And one thing that was clear via the play analysis was that, as we got into the red zone, we ran the ball much, much, much less effectively.

4. As for Ingram, if its not impacting the outcome, quite frankly, I don't care. Like sure we could have scored my points or gained more yardage or whatever, but those stats don't matter at the end of the year. If Ingram was costing us games with his ineffectiveness, I'd be the first to get rid of him. And I'm still all for him being inactive. But the rubber didn't really meet the road until pretty much the Tennessee game.

So like yeah, its an example of coaches not evaluating players properly, but I'm not seeing that impacting the teams record.
Ingram was less effective and gained less yards than JK. Less yards mean more unfavorable 2nd and 3rd downs which leads to more stalled drives and less points. Longer drives also mean less time for the opposing offense to score.
So it might have impacted the game.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I listed all the reasons, dissent from players and complaining on Twitter along with just shit body language in game, it looks entirely different, the team lost its swagger and confidence, as a head coach who’s considered more a motivator coach than anything it’s on him to get that part of it right.

I’m hoping what we saw yesterday was a sign of things to come
Idk what play it was but those guys started walking back to the bench like zombies lol.. looked like tbey werent even interested