• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is a bit forward-looking, but the Chiefs-Saints game yesterday showed once again how to match up against the chiefs. 4 men rush & 2 high S looks. To slow the chiefs down it's best to make them run the ball and limit big plays.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is a bit forward-looking, but the Chiefs-Saints game yesterday showed once again how to match up against the chiefs. 4 men rush & 2 high S looks. To slow the chiefs down it's best to make them run the ball and limit big plays.

i mean yeah but the chiefs still put up 30+ points of offence and passed against those looks anyway even on an off day when they weren't really clicking

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i mean yeah but the chiefs still put up 30+ points of offence and passed against those looks anyway even on an off day when they weren't really clicking
So if we play them we gotta do the same, and then score more. That’s all there is to it. If you wanna beat the chiefs you can’t JUST go in with the right defensive gameplan to slow their offense and expect a win, you gotta show up in all phases and flat out play good ball and out score them

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The way he has been playing, it's obvious he is gone at the end of next year, if it wan't already. That being said, I'm with you. We definitely need to keep him for next year and if we happen to have a bunch of injuries next season, we can try to unload him at the trade deadline.

Boy that 2018 draft was good. In the 1st 3 rounds we landed Hayden Hurst, Lamar Jackson, Mark Andrews and Orlando Brown. On Day 3 we landed Kenny Young that ended up being Marcus Peters, Bradley Bozeman who is a pretty darn good left guard and DeShon Elliott, who allowed us to be comfortable releasing Earl Thomas.
Easily the best draft class since 2008, in my eyes.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
outside of the top 2 picks in 2008, what else about that draft is even vaguely comparable?
Very little. Just mostly pointing out the impact of Joe and Rice on the next like 5-10 years of the Ravens. I didn't think Zbikowski or Nakamura were bad picks either. Some injury concerns but they both helped out in the secondary and were key ST players.

I just think 2008 was the most recent heavily impactful draft class we've had until 2018.

2013 got some very good players but the first two rounds were gigantic misses, and we got some quality players out of the 16 and 17 draft too, but 18 definitely sticks out.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Very little. Just mostly pointing out the impact of Joe and Rice on the next like 5-10 years of the Ravens. I didn't think Zbikowski or Nakamura were bad picks either. Some injury concerns but they both helped out in the secondary and were key ST players.

I just think 2008 was the most recent heavily impactful draft class we've had until 2018.

2013 got some very good players but the first two rounds were gigantic misses, and we got some quality players out of the 16 and 17 draft too, but 18 definitely sticks out.

if you're talking impact then wouldnt 2011 be the most recent major impact group - 3 of those players had pretty great ravens careers and a 4th has had a pretty good career since (just not in baltimore) - 2 of those players were absolutely instrumental in our superbowl win too

obviously 2008 too

but in terms of quality players in 1 class I'm not sure there's a class that really compares to 2018 for sheer volume of talent and for those top-end successes

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I want nothing more than to eliminate the Steelers in the playoffs. That would be so amazing. If we make the playoffs it seems like we'd play either Tenn or Buffalo. Neither would be an easy game. If we can get healthy on defense and our receivers step up a little like they have been recently, I'd like to think we'd be competitive with anyone in the AFC maybe outside of KC. And to be frank, I don't think KC is THAT good. They're obviously the top team in the AFC, but they hardly seem invincible to me. Unfortunately they seem to have our number.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I want nothing more than to eliminate the Steelers in the playoffs. That would be so amazing. If we make the playoffs it seems like we'd play either Tenn or Buffalo. Neither would be an easy game. If we can get healthy on defense and our receivers step up a little like they have been recently, I'd like to think we'd be competitive with anyone in the AFC maybe outside of KC. And to be frank, I don't think KC is THAT good. They're obviously the top team in the AFC, but they hardly seem invincible to me. Unfortunately they seem to have our number.

i mean KC is clearly the top team in the AFC but this year that also means they are even more clearly the best team in the NFL - NFC's field seems pretty weak this year tbh

KC isnt as amazing a team as they were in 2019 and 2018 but the rest of the NFL is weaker too - lots of unbalanced teams

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
C1CBF6BD-306B-4B75-9CCB-621E16433EAA.png

I’m out here on Facebook hyping Lamar like Mark Ingram

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we get in at 11-5, it'll most likely be as either the 6th or 7th seed. I don't see Tennessee getting to #2. They're 2 games behind Pittsburgh, and lose the tiebreaker, assuming Pittsburgh wins tonight (which they should). So Tennessee is likely to be the 3 (they'd have to pass Buffalo) or the 4.

If we make it in the playoffs, I think we'd play either Buffalo or Pittsburgh.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
lol

but tbf there are lots of players who've not looked the same
Yeah, it’s unfortunate. Whatever I had back in January, idk if it was an early covid case I figured was the flu or what, but I was still getting spontaneous fevers 2 weeks in and my lungs and bronchs felt like absolute needles for 5 or so weeks, I don’t know how these guys can suit up for a game after 10 days if they’re feeling anything like what I felt, and I’m sure at least a portion are feeling something like that

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If we get in at 11-5, it'll most likely be as either the 6th or 7th seed. I don't see Tennessee getting to #2. They're 2 games behind Pittsburgh, and lose the tiebreaker, assuming Pittsburgh wins tonight (which they should). So Tennessee is likely to be the 3 (they'd have to pass Buffalo) or the 4.

If we make it in the playoffs, I think we'd play either Buffalo or Pittsburgh.
I’d love to see the Steelers in the WC if we make it, if we make it I think we would roll tf out of the Steelers. The bills are a bit more of a worry..

Really though, I don’t wanna feel like we’re hiding from any team, I hope we face all the big boogeymen teams and beat them all, we’re gonna have to beat either the chiefs or titans or Steelers eventually to win it all, no point in hoping to face other teams because there’s just no avoiding them.