• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Simba

Staff Member
I don't think people really appreciate how truly special Mahomes is yet. I think people understand he's the best in the game, but they haven't grasped fully what that man does. The arm strength. The precision. The pocket movement. The escapability. The ability to read a defense. It's everything combined and it's so rare. Just imagine him with Lamar's legs.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think people really appreciate how truly special Mahomes is yet. I think people understand he's the best in the game, but they haven't grasped fully what that man does. The arm strength. The precision. The pocket movement. The escapability. The ability to read a defense. It's everything combined and it's so rare. Just imagine him with Lamar's legs.
So how do we beat Mahomes? We have come close but no cigar. You have to keep him off the field a LOT!! with an effective run game. The Bills don't have it, we do. We need to improve the passing game though.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
So how do we beat Mahomes? We have come close but no cigar. You have to keep him off the field a LOT!! with an effective run game. The Bills don't have it, we do. We need to improve the passing game though.
Also generating pressure with 4 or 5 guys without blitzing, and playing good coverage while doing it.

I'm not sure we're great at doing that either. And it would seem improving on that will be somewhat challenging this offseason, given that we're going to lose anywhere between like 50-60% all the way up to like 100% of our pass rush unit. And nobody knows where the replacements are coming from.

Can't turn the ball over, need to be able to score points (probably at least 25-30), need to be able to dominate time of possession in most cases, and need to be able to make Mahomes uncomfortable without blitzing.

I'm not sure there's a team in the league that can do all four of those things.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

honestly - and this is going to be a bit depressing but you just have to hope he has an off-day and that you capitalise on your opportunities

it's going to be a long next 10 years if KC is able to keep him protected up-front and keep most of this receiving talent around

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
that just tells me that post-season football is hard
this looks a lot like the data that's used to criticise Lamar in the post-season

I wonder if we'll be seeing any media pile-ons about Josh Allen now - about how he doesn't perform in the post-season, how his style of play is unsustainable in the post-season and how he can't beat the Chiefs (*he says sarcastically*)

The media has a favorite target, and that is Lamar Jackson

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
that just tells me that post-season football is hard
this looks a lot like the data that's used to criticise Lamar in the post-season

I wonder if we'll be seeing any media pile-ons about Josh Allen now - about how he doesn't perform in the post-season, how his style of play is unsustainable in the post-season and how he can't beat the Chiefs (*he says sarcastically*)
Pretty much.

My moral of the story for those games was pretty simple... don't think that just because you did X and Y in the regular season that its what you can do in the postseason and just expect to win or roll over anybody. Of the handful of Bills fans who came in here to chat, I don't think I saw a single one of them discuss the Bills defense as an important aspect of postseason football. And yet, it was the Bills defense that beat the Ravens, and it was the Bills defense that lost to KC. Their offense was largely a non-factor in either game. And it didn't seem to be on the radar for those fans.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
honestly - and this is going to be a bit depressing but you just have to hope he has an off-day and that you capitalise on your opportunities

it's going to be a long next 10 years if KC is able to keep him protected up-front and keep most of this receiving talent around
They'll hit struggles once the cap hits sky rocket. Their defense is more talented than it seems. It'll come down to the draft with them like everything else. If they start whiffing on draft picks, they'll be a playoff team who gets bounced by more well-rounded teams.

They'll probably be OK in 2021 cap wise, but Mahomes will be $31M in 2022, and then he's basically $40-50M consistently after that. Even if the salary cap rises 10% every year (which it won't), they'll still have problems. It'll come down to the draft.

They're ~$18M over the cap for 2021 right now. They're not retaining Sammy Watkins. They're not going to be able to retain Austin Reiter, their Center. They got two tackles who are over 30, both with big cap hits, and both on expiring contracts in 2021. They could sign extensions, but I don't know how long you'd want to keep those players, given their age. Offensive line is going to be a major priority for them going forward.

Defensively, pretty much just comes down to Mathieu. He's on an expiring contract next year, and has a big cap hit with not much dead money. He could be a cap casualty, given their salary cap situation. Again, there's extension options for these guys, but pushing cap hits down the line with Mahomes numbers ballooning probably isn't ideal.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
And his ability to spot throw to kelce and hill is just incredible. The anticipation that he throws with, and his trust in his receivers is once in a lifetime type shit. He has so many throws where his receiver crosses a defender after the release, and he will put that damn ball 1 inch out of the defenders reach and right into his receivers hands in stride, like there is a football sized window, on one side it’s either incomplete or catch and fall, the other side is a pick, and I’ll be damned if that mf don’t squeeze a football into a football sized window to get his guys running every time, on the run, retreating, falling, from the pocket, while running out of bounds, don’t matter, he fucking slings it like nobody I’ve ever seen before.

You could sense that Allen and mahomes were just not in the same universe in that game, when mahomes rolled out, he dropped dimes all over the field without a thought, when Allen rolled out he was terrified and saw about 25% of the field at best.

when it’s all said and done only Lamar and mahomes are gonna be the true qb rivalry, the other young qbs just don’t have that killer trait where it’s like they’re seeing the field through 100 eyeballs and they’re a step ahead and just toying with defenses. Unfortunately it feels like Lamar is never gonna be anything more than little brother to mahomes, but nobody else can feel it the way they do

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And his ability to spot throw to kelce and hill is just incredible. The anticipation that he throws with, and his trust in his receivers is once in a lifetime type shit. He has so many throws where his receiver crosses a defender after the release, and he will put that damn ball 1 inch out of the defenders reach and right into his receivers hands in stride, like there is a football sized window, on one side it’s either incomplete or catch and fall, the other side is a pick, and I’ll be damned if that mf don’t squeeze a football into a football sized window to get his guys running every time, on the run, retreating, falling, from the pocket, while running out of bounds, don’t matter, he fucking slings it like nobody I’ve ever seen before.

You could sense that Allen and mahomes were just not in the same universe in that game, when mahomes rolled out, he dropped dimes all over the field without a thought, when Allen rolled out he was terrified and saw about 25% of the field at best.

when it’s all said and done only Lamar and mahomes are gonna be the true qb rivalry, the other young qbs just don’t have that killer trait where it’s like they’re seeing the field through 100 eyeballs and they’re a step ahead and just toying with defenses. Unfortunately it feels like Lamar is never gonna be anything more than little brother to mahomes, but nobody else can feel it the way they do

we've seen what mahomes can do with weapons
we've seen what allen can do with weapons
we've seen what baker can do with weapons
we've even sorta seen what deshaun can do with weapons

please can we see what lamar can do with weapons... please

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor

Our offensive passing weapons are laughable compared to what a team like the Chiefs have.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Brady is pats only rival tbh.. rest of those guys are so far behind that it likely wont ever reach the rivalry point

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Fucking for real dude

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Preach! So much talent but I’m afraid we’re letting it go to waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Pretty much.

My moral of the story for those games was pretty simple... don't think that just because you did X and Y in the regular season that its what you can do in the postseason and just expect to win or roll over anybody. Of the handful of Bills fans who came in here to chat, I don't think I saw a single one of them discuss the Bills defense as an important aspect of postseason football. And yet, it was the Bills defense that beat the Ravens, and it was the Bills defense that lost to KC. Their offense was largely a non-factor in either game. And it didn't seem to be on the radar for those fans.
They know literally nothing about playoff football lol, teams that make deep playoff runs are well coached and in most games beyond the WC round, your opponent will find a way to take away your best asset, then the weather often becomes another equalizer, and in the end the deepest and most well coached team usually wins, deep as in if option 1 is being shut down, options 2, 3, and 4 are all making them pay. Then it becomes a chess match back and forth as the adjustments begin rolling in.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Idk how i feel about this.. i mean he had dhop and will fuller and blew a 24-0 lead.
1EF07883-3F6C-4414-ACD1-2391E4559B65.jpeg

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
This is definitely a random thought.

After it was revealed that we would wear our color rush purples against the Rams last season, I kinda wondered. Have we ever wore our all blacks on the road? I ain't gonna lie, it'd be pretty cool to see it if the game is outside. I think it'd look stupid if we did this in a dome.

I don't think he does much in terms of reading the defense. Reid constantly has his receivers in motion to make it easier for Mahomes. He's no Peyton Manning when it comes to reading defenses. As good as he is I think a guy like Rodgers or Wilson would be outproducing him in that offense.