• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

The most irritating part was Orlando never seemed to be a guy who'd post such stuff. If it was Judon ok, but Orlando?
EDC gotta hold the line.

Judon isn't the only one testing waters. I've seen Hollywood and Humphrey do that lame sort of vague trolling/passive aggressive complaining on twitter too.

However Orlandos tweet is pretty self explanatory, he knows we can't pock Stanley over him sl it's essentially a trade request.

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m with you man, I’ll be carrying that flag as well. I like Brown a lot but we could use those picks. We could legit get a true game changer there. It really depends on the picks and team and the value of those picks.
I’ve been looking at teams that I think could trade for brown, running mock generators as if we were able to make their first and third round picks, and then adding in the Culley comp, and I’m telling you man this is almost necessary lol, the amount of holes that can be filled with those extra picks is just ridiculous, and that’s not even including the likely first in 2022

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’ve been looking at teams that I think could trade for brown, running mock generators as if we were able to make their first and third round picks, and then adding in the Culley comp, and I’m telling you man this is almost necessary lol, the amount of holes that can be filled with those extra picks is just ridiculous, and that’s not even including the likely first in 2022

the problem is that one of the holes would be tackle lol - and we dont even have a below-average tackle on the roster to fill in as a stop-gap - we've literally got nothing

which means that whatever picks we get from orlando - at least one of them has to go into tackle...

What positions/players are you mocking to the Ravens?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
the problem is that one of the holes would be tackle lol - and we dont even have a below-average tackle on the roster to fill in as a stop-gap - we've literally got nothing

which means that whatever picks we get from orlando - at least one of them has to go into tackle...
Including the hole at tackle lol. This class is stacked and I’ve been wanting us to draft a OT anyway. In all of my attempts with an extra first and third I was able to easily get a quality OT of my choice(not just a fallback option) and I was also able to address edge and wr and iOL.

Simba

Staff Member
Including the hole at tackle lol. This class is stacked and I’ve been wanting us to draft a OT anyway. In all of my attempts with an extra first and third I was able to easily get a quality OT of my choice(not just a fallback option) and I was also able to address edge and wr and iOL.

But isn't that part of the problem here, too? Why are teams going to trade premium draft capital and give up a large contract when they can draft a guy and have him for 4-5 years? I know that's not a sure thing but not sure the OBJ trade is as cut and dry as it seems.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This is why I think this whole thing is stupid, regardless if it’s him or his agent pushing this agenda. Dude is gonna get “LT money” when the time comes, whether that’s here or (more likely) elsewhere. Causing a stir with no leverage does nothing for him at this point. If he plays and plays well, he’s gonna get paid big money and likely the same regardless of whether or not it’s RT or LT.
Even K.O. got LT money and he only finished the season at left tackle.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
But isn't that part of the problem here, too? Why are teams going to trade premium draft capital and give up a large contract when they can draft a guy and have him for 4-5 years? I know that's not a sure thing but not sure the OBJ trade is as cut and dry as it seems.

yeah we can back ourselves to replace him but there's always a decent chance the guy who comes in can't hack it - we're a pretty great OL drafting team but in the middle of our window we'd be giving up a high-quality player at an important position with no veteran option

Simba

Staff Member
yeah we can back ourselves to replace him but there's always a decent chance the guy who comes in can't hack it - we're a pretty great OL drafting team but in the middle of our window we'd be giving up a high-quality player at an important position with no veteran option

Yeah the argument kind of goes both ways. We say here that we get picks and can replace him that way. But if it's that easy, why can't said team just use their own pick on a guy and save a lot of money? It's a complicated deal. Quality player for sure and there will be teams that want him, but not like we're just going to have teams willing to throw all of their picks and cap away either.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah the argument kind of goes both ways. We say here that we get picks and can replace him that way. But if it's that easy, why can't said team just use their own pick on a guy and save a lot of money? It's a complicated deal. Quality player for sure and there will be teams that want him, but not like we're just going to have teams willing to throw all of their picks and cap away either.

i think we're benefitted by the fact we have a great OL coach and a pedigree for picking OL well which would probably give us more confidence to make the right pick vs other teams potentially - look at the number of 1st and 2nd round tackles who haven't panned out even in the last 3-4 years - it's a high number

luckily for us tackle is considered a building block piece so it's unlikely there's many teams that wouldnt consider signing him even knowing they had to give him a deal - a rebuilding team with little talent might see him as a surefire way to start building a quality and stable OL and a competing team might see him as a final piece to protect their franchise QB

but as you say there's also the fact that the 2020 tackle class was loaded and the 2021 class looks to be even more loaded so teams will have to make that value judgement when they think about orlando

and tbh so do we - if we think we're in the middle of a superbowl window it doesn't make a ton of sense to trade away a pro bowl tackle unless he is literally forcing his way out (and there's no indications he is doing that at all)

i dont think we're likely to see a tunsil-like haul just because BOB isn't in the league anymore but it would have to be a 1st and at least a day 2 pick (and maybe more than 1) to get us to think about getting trading orlando

LT is a very important position and every year multiple teams roll the dice on first round left tackles, also last season Brown graded as well as Laremy Tunsil and made his 2nd pro bowl. Back in 2019 Tunsil and some change was traded to the Texans for two firsts, a second and change. Brown probably wont fetch that but he'll get at least one 1st rounder.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
LT is a very important position and every year multiple teams roll the dice on first round left tackles, also last season Brown graded as well as Laremy Tunsil and made his 2nd pro bowl. Back in 2019 Tunsil and some change was traded to the Texans for two firsts, a second and change. Brown probably wont fetch that but he'll get at least one 1st rounder.

a first and two seconds for me

Simba

Staff Member

I think that sounds great in any other year but we're talking about a season where the cap is going to be significantly lower than recent years. To give up premium picks (aka cheap players) AND a huge contract... it's not that simple. I wouldn't listen for anything less than a 1 but I don't think it's as forgone as people are making it out to be that those offers would be coming in.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ll respond to the questions here rather than quoting all the posts.

1. You only trade Brown if you can get a haul else you keep him to make a run.
2. If you have teams beating down the doors offering multiple firsts across years and other picks you have to take that deal even if it means creating a hole.

So how do you solve the new OL hole? You clearly have to draft a guy at some point and probably look to replace Brown internally using Mekari or Tyre. They won’t be as good as Brown Jr, so you’re definitely taking a step back but we’re not exactly barren in our cupboards either.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’ll respond to the questions here rather than quoting all the posts.

1. You only trade Brown if you can get a haul else you keep him to make a run.
2. If you have teams beating down the doors offering multiple firsts across years and other picks you have to take that deal even if it means creating a hole.

So how do you solve the new OL hole? You clearly have to draft a guy at some point and probably look to replace Brown internally using Mekari or Tyre. They won’t be as good as Brown Jr, so you’re definitely taking a step back but we’re not exactly barren in our cupboards either.

if a team offers a haul then you take it and draft his replacement in this class and hope you see early returns from them (because they will be starting in year 1 because neither mekari nor tyre's a good option there)

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
if a team offers a haul then you take it and draft his replacement in this class and hope you see early returns from them (because they will be starting in year 1 because neither mekari nor tyre's a good option there)
I hear you but I think both those guys would be competing for RT along with the rookie. The only way I see otherwise is if we draft a rookie RT with a first or second. The team has a clear history of making people earn their reps outside the first round and often second round but not always.