• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Something I've been thinking about is I think for an offense to truly be at the level of best in the league, it needs to break the barrier or 3 legitimate receiving weapons. Look no further than your superbowl matchup.

Evans
Godwin
Brown

Tyreek
Kelce
Watkins/Robinson/Hardman

The Ravens have Hollywood and Mandrews. I'm wondering if we had even just one more PREMIER receiving threat whether we'd see a huge boon in our passing attack. We know we have basically the best running game and rushing QB, EDC you gotta find a way to get Lamar just one more guy.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Something I've been thinking about is I think for an offense to truly be at the level of best in the league, it needs to break the barrier or 3 legitimate receiving weapons. Look no further than your superbowl matchup.

Evans
Godwin
Brown

Tyreek
Kelce
Watkins/Robinson/Hardman

The Ravens have Hollywood and Mandrews. I'm wondering if we had even just one more PREMIER receiving threat whether we'd see a huge boon in our passing attack. We know we have basically the best running game and rushing QB, EDC you gotta find a way to get Lamar just one more guy.

I think your spot on. Someone posted a while back all of our TE and WR graded out in the bottom 3rd of the league when it comes to beating man coverage. Tough to make teams pay for staking the box when our guys can’t get open. Need at least one reliable target to consistently beat their opponents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think your spot on. Someone posted a while back all of our TE and WR graded out in the bottom 3rd of the league when it comes to beating man coverage. Tough to make teams pay for staking the box when our guys can’t get open. Need at least one reliable target to consistently beat their opponents

except for hollywood lol - but otherwise yeah that's accurate - awful as a team vs man (although idk but iirc it was only WRs not TEs)

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Evans
Godwin
Brown

Tyreek
Kelce
Watkins/Robinson/Hardman

yes please - but probably important to note that these teams probably have more than just 3 threats too - bucs have brate (and had howard before his injury) and they have tyler johnson and scotty miller too - brady's got legitimately 5 WRs and a TE who can all get open (and then has gronk as well too)

and you;ve already listed 5 weapons for Mahomes but you could add CEH before he got injured too

we're looking at 3 premier weapons but we're also looking at 5+ legitimate receiving options

also fun stat - this is the first time the top 2 passing offences have met in the superbowl

honestly in terms of team-building i want to add more than just 1 guy but obviously not necessarily feasible right now

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
yes please - but probably important to note that these teams probably have more than just 3 threats too - bucs have brate (and had howard before his injury) and they have tyler johnson and scotty miller too - brady's got legitimately 5 WRs and a TE who can all get open (and then has gronk as well too)

and you;ve already listed 5 weapons for Mahomes but you could add CEH before he got injured too

we're looking at 3 premier weapons but we're also looking at 5+ legitimate receiving options

also fun stat - this is the first time the top 2 passing offences have met in the superbowl

honestly in terms of team-building i want to add more than just 1 guy but obviously not necessarily feasible right now

You're absolutely right. The reason i didn't flesh it out further is because I was trying to observe what the minimum seems to be knowing we're very far away from the depth these 2 teams have. My question though is do we think in 2021 we'll have that 3rd guy? If nothing comes in free agency and pick 27 is our first shot, I'm not going to say its impossible, but I won't be confident. I'm just dying to know what EDCs plan for WR is this offseason.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You're absolutely right. The reason i didn't flesh it out further is because I was trying to observe what the minimum seems to be knowing we're very far away from the depth these 2 teams have. My question though is do we think in 2021 we'll have that 3rd guy? If nothing comes in free agency and pick 27 is our first shot, I'm not going to say its impossible, but I won't be confident. I'm just dying to know what EDCs plan for WR is this offseason.

the WR class isn't quite as deep as 2020 (but 2020 was historically deep) - but it's not far off - there's a lot of guys who're gonna contribute early... we'd just have to pick one

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This feels like the most hyped “WR1 to ravens” offseason ever, which is saying a lot considering our offseason story for 24 years straight has been “ravens need a wr”

Seems every sports outlet has a front page article on the topic these days. Black Adam schefter worded a post in a way that almost made me piss my pants because I thought we traded for Julio

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
This feels like the most hyped “WR1 to ravens” offseason ever, which is saying a lot considering our offseason story for 24 years straight has been “ravens need a wr”

Seems every sports outlet has a front page article on the topic these days. Black Adam schefter worded a post in a way that almost made me piss my pants because I thought we traded for Julio

We could bring in a prime Megatron, it won't matter if we don't improve our concepts and actually use those weapons more often.

I think the interview I saw with Calais and the video Kurt Warner did sums up the offense.

You have to take the cuffs off of Lamar and actually draw up some decent concepts

JAAM

Hall of Famer

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
We could bring in a prime Megatron, it won't matter if we don't improve our concepts and actually use those weapons more often.

I think the interview I saw with Calais and the video Kurt Warner did sums up the offense.

You have to take the cuffs off of Lamar and actually draw up some decent concepts

I think it’s going to happen next year. The entire fan base knows it and the players are showing frustration. Let Lamar use his full arsenal of talents and run the show. Spread the field and watch him shred defenses

JAAM

Hall of Famer

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Do we throw any slants? Like something I've noticed is specifically Allen Robinson, and Rashod Bateman KILL on slants. Also none other than our very own Hollywood brown killed on slants in college. Hollywood also gets so much cushion. I don't know why we aren't making people pay.

I'm getting a little bit frustrated in retrospect with how our front office handled the passing game in 2020. Let's think about it. From 2019 to 2020, in terms of the passing game we subtracted Hayden Hurst and Seth Roberts and replaced them with no new Te at the beginning of the year and Duv and Proche. Everyone knew we needed a better receiving corps after 2019, but we only added 2 rookies who were either extremely raw or lacking nfl physical measurables. We then went on to barely use them. We realized we needed to do something and signed Dez. Then we barely used him. We were also underutilizing even Hollywood to the point he started getting disgruntled.

I don't know. How did we take a lackluster unit and somehow do even worse?
2019: 3225 yards, 37 Tds, 8 ints
2020: 2739 yards, 27 Tds, 11 ints

We showed just how imbalanced the team was in 2020. This just seems like a huge failure to me when you potentially rationalize it with the Kurt Warner criticisms and Lamar saying defenses knew what plays we were running. What were we thinking when this was the plan? Was it that Hollywood and Miles were going to take huge leaps? If so, I think we have to make a better effort to put more of a sure thing option out there. Unfortunately with little money, tons of FAs and late picks this is going to be tough.

Am I crazy to think that without fixing this problem, it won't matter what are pass rush is doing? We're talking about spending big money to retain a unit that underperformed. This would come at the continued cost of ignoring the passing attack. I think committing to not overhauling the passing attack is a commitment to wasting another one of lamars prime and cheap years.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Do we throw any slants? Like something I've noticed is specifically Allen Robinson, and Rashod Bateman KILL on slants. Also none other than our very own Hollywood brown killed on slants in college. Hollywood also gets so much cushion. I don't know why we aren't making people pay.

I'm getting a little bit frustrated in retrospect with how our front office handled the passing game in 2020. Let's think about it. From 2019 to 2020, in terms of the passing game we subtracted Hayden Hurst and Seth Roberts and replaced them with no new Te at the beginning of the year and Duv and Proche. Everyone knew we needed a better receiving corps after 2019, but we only added 2 rookies who were either extremely raw or lacking nfl physical measurables. We then went on to barely use them. We realized we needed to do something and signed Dez. Then we barely used him. We were also underutilizing even Hollywood to the point he started getting disgruntled.

I don't know. How did we take a lackluster unit and somehow do even worse?
2019: 3225 yards, 37 Tds, 8 ints
2020: 2739 yards, 27 Tds, 11 ints

We showed just how imbalanced the team was in 2020. This just seems like a huge failure to me when you potentially rationalize it with the Kurt Warner criticisms and Lamar saying defenses knew what plays we were running. What were we thinking when this was the plan? Was it that Hollywood and Miles were going to take huge leaps? If so, I think we have to make a better effort to put more of a sure thing option out there. Unfortunately with little money, tons of FAs and late picks this is going to be tough.

Am I crazy to think that without fixing this problem, it won't matter what are pass rush is doing? We're talking about spending big money to retain a unit that underperformed. This would come at the continued cost of ignoring the passing attack. I think committing to not overhauling the passing attack is a commitment to wasting another one of lamars prime and cheap years.

i dont have the breakdowns for sure - but im pretty sure we still ran a ton of slants this year - we just didnt hit a ton of them
but i could be wrong...