• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Lamar had a game like Mahomes did there would be outrage in the media .

The Bucs showed everyone what a great pass rush can do to the Chiefs . We simply don’t have that good of a pass rush . Not close
Yep, that's true. I think it shows that we need to focus there more if we want to beat them. TBF they have a stacked defense. David & White are elite LBs. We have nothing like that. Our secondary is at least as good or better than TB, but the LBs aren't. That's a big deal when it comes to stopping KC since Kelce makes that offense work along w/ Hill & Mahomes. Removing Kelce then taking Hill out of the game just makes it all on Mahomes and then when the OL gets beat he can't win. That's how you beat KC--you remove Mahomes' top two weapons in Kelce & Hill then make him beat you and he can't because their OL cannot hold up.
damien williams was robbed of last year's superbowl MVP
True story.
there'd already be a ton of media coverage about how the Bucs had showed the "blueprint" for stopping Lamar

when the blueprint is exactly the same lol - destroy the OL
There's no doubt this would be the narrative along with Lamar choking in big games. Sorry but Mahomes hasn't been elite in his Super Bowl appearances and not even his playoff appearances. I don't think much has separated him and Lamar in the post season except execution, weapons, and play design.
I knew missing those tackles would hurt kc the most. Getting the ball out quick didnt work at all so thats proves pass rush is still important. Also, hardman, watkins and robinson suck.. couldnt get open witb tyreke and kelce doubled.
Yep, take away Hill & Kelce it's a different game for Mahomes. The OL is a big deal still, definitely can't be cheap there and expect to win.
i think the thing to remember is that it's not a binary - it can be true that pass rush is important (especially interior pressure) but also true that coverage is more important

but that they are also intrinsically linked - a good pass rush makes coverage easier and good coverage makes pass rush more effective
Both are important. You can't win with a lackluster pass rush but you also can't win with a lackluster secondary. Both need to be up to par for the task. You don't need both to be elite but one unit needs to be elite on your front 7 be is LB or DL and then you need the CB to be good enough to stop Hill to force Mahomes to other options.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
tbf execution's pretty important lol
Oh no doubt, they are all important. Execution is a big reason we've sucked. I'm just saying it's the same for KC too. I just hate some of the stuff I heard regarding one-sided calls and the like. KC didn't play well and didn't do well and everyone wasn't great--Mahomes included. I heard the announcers kind of even alluding to the calls being iffy at one point, but the reality is that they were fair. Anyway, I won't get into depth here, just wanted to make my peace lol

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i think the thing to remember is that it's not a binary - it can be true that pass rush is important (especially interior pressure) but also true that coverage is more important

but that they are also intrinsically linked - a good pass rush makes coverage easier and good coverage makes pass rush more effective
This is the one

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Things ravens fans have witnessed in their lifetimes that most chiefs fans have not:
Win 2 Super Bowls
Beat Tom Brady in the playoffs

Things chiefs fans have seen that ravens fans have not:
A blowout Super bowl loss

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

And beyond that, while I believe corners are more essential than pass rushers, there are plenty of matchups where pass rush will shine more, against the chiefs you need a loaded deck, but when their OL is in shambles and mahomes is hobbled, suddenly pass rush becomes exponentially more important.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Am I the only one who thought of the Giants pass rush during the Super Bowl against Brady and the Patriots when watching Tampa maul Mahomes?

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Me thinks the trade value of Orlando Brown Jr definitely was drive up after the league watched that happen to Mahomes. I want the chargers 13th pick bad.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Me thinks the only thing last night showed was that you need better depth. Those weren't starting Tackles out there last night.
And it certainly showed and was a major factor as to why Mahomes looked so lost I thought he might pull out a pacifier and start sucking on it during the game.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
And it certainly showed and was a major factor as to why Mahomes looked so lost I thought he might pull out a pacifier and start sucking on it during the game.
twice over how many time Brady had cuz Warfs, and that the tackles before him all were super meh with no reason to explain.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Me thinks the only thing last night showed was that you need better depth. Those weren't starting Tackles out there last night.
Yeah last night showed nothing to ravens fans other than needing to get home with 4 men and be able to stop kelce to beat the chiefs.

don’t be overreactionary to the super bowl, the truth will always be that the RT is less valuable than the LT, unless you have a leftie qb. This game should in no way at all have any influence on the brown decision, and I basically guarantee it won’t.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Me thinks the trade value of Orlando Brown Jr definitely was drive up after the league watched that happen to Mahomes. I want the chargers 13th pick bad.

My problem with this is who do we have to replace him ? Fluker? We already have some bad holes in the line WITH Brown, getting rid of him only exacerbates the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
My problem with this is who do we have to replace him ? Fluker? We already have some bad holes in the line WITH Brown, getting rid of him only exacerbates the problem.

The thing is the ravens might not have a choice in the matter...

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

I think Brown is laying the ground work for future contracts but ultimately knows he is playing for the Ravens one more year. He will crush it again and hit free agency looking for LT money , which someone will rightfully pay.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think Brown is laying the ground work for future contracts but ultimately knows he is playing for the Ravens one more year. He will crush it again and hit free agency looking for LT money , which someone will rightfully pay.

That’s what you hope, but so far we’ve seen nothing but insistence that he’s a left tackle, he didn’t clarify that he’s talking about 2022 either.

Simba

Staff Member

But again, they do have a choice here. They control his fate. If they don't find a trade they like, Orlando Brown is stuck playing RT or sitting out. And he'd be incredibly dumb to sit out.