• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I loved watching KC lose tonight. One of my favorite games of the year. I find it funny but I don’t think Mahomes plays that well in big games. I didn’t think he “won” the game for them last year and he definitely didn’t tonight despite that bad OL. Btw who was it that said that what KC does on the OL works? It sure didn’t tonight.

Simba

Staff Member
Am I crazy or is Tom Brady slightly more likable in a Buccaneers uniform? I'm not as mad as I thought I'd be, but maybe that's because he also helped show that KC is beatable.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Am I crazy or is Tom Brady slightly more likable in a Buccaneers uniform? I'm not as mad as I thought I'd be, but maybe that's because he also helped show that KC is beatable.
I think we hate the Patriots more than Brady but he also didn’t get any moments to be Cry Brady either. That said, I am so happy they beat the Chiefs more because I think KC came into the game expecting to win. I didn’t see a team that came to win like I did Tampa Bay. I think that was the difference, and I think that’s the players. To me it was a 100% failed player execution game. None of the calls were necessarily bad but they definitely lost in Andy Reid fashion

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Tom Brady became likeable for me since last season after he asked who win a race between him and Lamar on skates.

But how do we feel about the new CBS scoreboard? I dig it.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
LOL.... the NFC South plays the NFC & AFC East in 2021. Tom Brady returns to Foxboro next year as a Buccaneer, and the league would be stupid to pass on Bucs vs Bills for Opening Night. Also Brady gets to get revenge on the Eagles too lol. We play the NFC South in 2022 and we play the Bucs in Tampa that year.

Bucs home opponents 2021:
Cowboys
Giants
Bills
Dolphins
Saints
Falcons
Panthers
Bears

Last edited:

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Lamar had a game like Mahomes did there would be outrage in the media .

The Bucs showed everyone what a great pass rush can do to the Chiefs . We simply don’t have that good of a pass rush . Not close

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He really seems like a boom or bust prospect to me. He's got decent size as well as decent speed. He was a contested catch machine in the Redzone and at the boundary. Has some but not great YAC potential. Doesn't get a ton of separation. All in all, he is pretty raw, but was really sure handed and played big at the catch point. Let me know if you really disagree.

he looks really slow to me - i just dont see how he separates at the next level - he's got that 50/50 contested catch ability and seems to be aggressive coming back to the ball, has great hands (and only uses them late which is great) and a nice leap but he seems to slow up as the ball arrives at the catch-point which allows the CB back into the play even when he has got separation early

i dont think he's stiff - seems to move pretty fluidly but not running away from anyone - gonna have to win with his route running which occasionally shows sharp breaks and some head-fakes etc. and he uses route pacing fairly well but isn't creating much separation at the college level so not sure how he separates at the NFL level

he has done well in the redzone - looks good using his body on backshoulder fades and slants - but im not sure that's enough to make you draftable anymore

but worryingly for a guy with a bigger frame and not much natural athleticism he doesn't get off press - and he'll be pressed into oblivion in the NFL because nobody's going to be scared of getting beaten over the top (or in shorter areas either) - if he's going to do anything in the pros he's going to have to become a savant with his hand fighting

he's got a udfa grade from me based on the tape i've come across so far - there's a possibility based on more tape (if i can find it) to become draftable and maybe get a 6th round grade (i dont do 7th round grades) but he's getting a udfa grade right now though

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I loved watching KC lose tonight. One of my favorite games of the year. I find it funny but I don’t think Mahomes plays that well in big games. I didn’t think he “won” the game for them last year and he definitely didn’t tonight despite that bad OL. Btw who was it that said that what KC does on the OL works? It sure didn’t tonight.

damien williams was robbed of last year's superbowl MVP

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If Lamar had a game like Mahomes did there would be outrage in the media .

The Bucs showed everyone what a great pass rush can do to the Chiefs . We simply don’t have that good of a pass rush . Not close

there'd already be a ton of media coverage about how the Bucs had showed the "blueprint" for stopping Lamar

when the blueprint is exactly the same lol - destroy the OL

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I knew missing those tackles would hurt kc the most. Getting the ball out quick didnt work at all so thats proves pass rush is still important. Also, hardman, watkins and robinson suck.. couldnt get open witb tyreke and kelce doubled.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
he looks really slow to me - i just dont see how he separates at the next level - he's got that 50/50 contested catch ability and seems to be aggressive coming back to the ball, has great hands (and only uses them late which is great) and a nice leap but he seems to slow up as the ball arrives at the catch-point which allows the CB back into the play even when he has got separation early

i dont think he's stiff - seems to move pretty fluidly but not running away from anyone - gonna have to win with his route running which occasionally shows sharp breaks and some head-fakes etc. and he uses route pacing fairly well but isn't creating much separation at the college level so not sure how he separates at the NFL level

he has done well in the redzone - looks good using his body on backshoulder fades and slants - but im not sure that's enough to make you draftable anymore

but worryingly for a guy with a bigger frame and not much natural athleticism he doesn't get off press - and he'll be pressed into oblivion in the NFL because nobody's going to be scared of getting beaten over the top (or in shorter areas either) - if he's going to do anything in the pros he's going to have to become a savant with his hand fighting

he's got a udfa grade from me based on the tape i've come across so far - there's a possibility based on more tape (if i can find it) to become draftable and maybe get a 6th round grade (i dont do 7th round grades) but he's getting a udfa grade right now though

Very interesting analysis. He was always polarizing for me because I live what he does well, but I acknowledge that his shortcomings in the other areas are probably very compromising to his ability to be super successful in the pros

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Very interesting analysis. He was always polarizing for me because I live what he does well, but I acknowledge that his shortcomings in the other areas are probably very compromising to his ability to be super successful in the pros

strikes me as a guy who's a good college receiver but not going to translate to the pros (and there are tons of guys every year who get a lot of production at college but not in the NFL)

his biggest plus quality is his ability to win at the catch-point but i wouldnt describe him as special in that regard - and if he's not going to separate then it requires a QB to have major trust in him to even target him which likely limits him to some redzone looks and tbh endzone fades and backshoulders etc. are low percentage throws that are becoming less and less prevalent around the league

im not sure what his pathway to an NFL roster is - because he doesnt have the traits that would suggest he's going to be a good special teamer either

Trevon Grimes to me looks like the prospect you want Vaughns to be (a bit of a bigger body with some nuanced route running who carries momentum through his routes really well)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I knew missing those tackles would hurt kc the most. Getting the ball out quick didnt work at all so thats proves pass rush is still important. Also, hardman, watkins and robinson suck.. couldnt get open witb tyreke and kelce doubled.
Tbf nobody said pass rush wasn’t important lol, just that having bare minimum 3 starting caliber corners is probably the most important part of a pass defense

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
strikes me as a guy who's a good college receiver but not going to translate to the pros (and there are tons of guys every year who get a lot of production at college but not in the NFL)

his biggest plus quality is his ability to win at the catch-point but i wouldnt describe him as special in that regard - and if he's not going to separate then it requires a QB to have major trust in him to even target him which likely limits him to some redzone looks and tbh endzone fades and backshoulders etc. are low percentage throws that are becoming less and less prevalent around the league

im not sure what his pathway to an NFL roster is - because he doesnt have the traits that would suggest he's going to be a good special teamer either

Trevon Grimes to me looks like the prospect you want Vaughns to be (a bit of a bigger body with some nuanced route running who carries momentum through his routes really well)

You're totally right about Grimes! I've been watching him based off your suggestion and I agree it's obvious he's the better prospect.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Tbf nobody said pass rush wasn’t important lol, just that having bare minimum 3 starting caliber corners is probably the most important part of a pass defense

i think the thing to remember is that it's not a binary - it can be true that pass rush is important (especially interior pressure) but also true that coverage is more important

but that they are also intrinsically linked - a good pass rush makes coverage easier and good coverage makes pass rush more effective