• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
When Joe Flacco allows it he will lol. I don't see 5 in the same vein as 52, 55, 20 and 75 and I totally see someone wearing 5 again. It just feels like it would be too soon even all these years later.

idk - 52, 20 and 75 feel very different to the others... maybe 55 too

but i guess then where does the buck stop - why would we also not include 92

i do like the idea of carefully guarding specific numbers so that you cultivate a legacy with them - like CJ Mosley being handed 57 after OJ Brigance wore it (and it was unofficially retired) - i like the idea that maybe that continues with ngata to madubuike and with other numbers too - maybe in a lesser way but mcphee and zadarius in that 90 jersey...

but idk that i'd feel that way with 5 - i dont think id feel that weird about hollywood wearing 5 if he wanted to

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i dont mind single-digit wide receivers and im ok with single-digit CBs but im not sure about the rest of it

and the idea that you could have a WR in the 20s/30s/40s seems aesthetically horrible to me
I couldn’t stop thinking of James Washington as a rb attempting to play wr because of his jersey number. I hate it. And I hate ty Montgomery’s number too. Goes both ways lol

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
i imagine you can maybe add 55 soon

I see 55 and 5 in the same tier. If you can see someone like Hollywood rocking 5, 55 should be available too.

20, 52 & 75 is tier 1. No brainer. Ain’t no one rocking those numbers again.

5, 55 & 73 I would consider the same.

but that’s me.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I see 55 and 5 in the same tier. If you can see someone like Hollywood rocking 5, 55 should be available too.

20, 52 & 75 is tier 1. No brainer. Ain’t no one rocking those numbers again.

5, 55 & 73 I would consider the same.

but that’s me.
I would put 73 and 55 in the same tier below 52, 20 and 75. 5 is not in either leagues for me. Ring of honor worthy, but definitely not retirement worthy.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Nah I love Joe but 5 will be in circulation again soon I’d think. I think they did right by him by not giving it out for awhile but it’s not going to stay that way.
I dont think it should be retired by wait a few more years for sure- the other thing is if this rule change never happened then I wouldn't see a reason to wear 5 but because it did it makes sense
What I mean by that is only kickers punters and qbs wear 5 (previous to the rule) so it wouldn't make sense to give someone 5 when every other option besides 4 and 9 is always free

Simba

Staff Member
I dont think it should be retired by wait a few more years for sure- the other thing is if this rule change never happened then I wouldn't see a reason to wear 5 but because it did it makes sense
What I mean by that is only kickers punters and qbs wear 5 (previous to the rule) so it wouldn't make sense to give someone 5 when every other option besides 4 and 9 is always free

Oh I agree. It was a nice way to honor Joe, but if this rule change comes into effect officially, it’ll be back in circulation again. I can’t even imagine the competition for the single digit numbers.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So... my place of work hired a former NFL player as a Manager. He's not my direct manager but it's still cool to say.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Aaron Wilson got fired fired from the Houston Chronicle.

Context:

-Wilson, in an interview that remains available online, called the lawsuits against Watson a “money grab” and “ambulance chasing.” Wilson also used an unfortunate, inaccurate, and ill-advised term while clumsily attempting to explain Watson’s approach to the efforts to resolve the claims before the first lawsuit was filed.

“In his case, you know, it’s kind of like you don’t, you know, you don’t negotiate with terrorists,” Wilson said, attempting to explain the notion that players with impeccable reputations are more likely to pay to make allegations like this go away. -

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i dont mind single-digit wide receivers and im ok with single-digit CBs but im not sure about the rest of it

and the idea that you could have a WR in the 20s/30s/40s seems aesthetically horrible to me
would be kind of cool seeing Diggs wear number 1 again, just like he did at Maryland, but seeing RB's in the 80s would be weird. I wish they allowed double 00 like Jim Otto, the old center for the Raiders.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Aaron Wilson got fired fired from the Houston Chronicle.

Context:

-Wilson, in an interview that remains available online, called the lawsuits against Watson a “money grab” and “ambulance chasing.” Wilson also used an unfortunate, inaccurate, and ill-advised term while clumsily attempting to explain Watson’s approach to the efforts to resolve the claims before the first lawsuit was filed.

“In his case, you know, it’s kind of like you don’t, you know, you don’t negotiate with terrorists,” Wilson said, attempting to explain the notion that players with impeccable reputations are more likely to pay to make allegations like this go away. -

Oh man I would've been on Wilson's side cuz an opinion is an opinion but man calling those women terrorists is way above board smh

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Oh man I would've been on Wilson's side cuz an opinion is an opinion but man calling those women terrorists is way above board smh
He didn’t call them terrorists, he drew an analogy and to imply that he called them terrorists is deliberately obtuse. I think for him to be fired over this is knee jerk and really hurts the spirit of “innocent until proven guilty”.

don’t negotiate with terrorists, and don’t go to court with women who are trying to blackmail you for money with no police report. If this guy believes he knows watsons character fairly well and he thinks this is an attack and money grab towards him, why is that a fireable offense? No evidence has been mentioned and no police report was ever filed and not a single accuser wants to file charges, they’ve only requested settlements. Until a conclusion is drawn it is unreasonable to fire people for stating opinions based on what they know of the persons involved

Reactions: cdp
He didn’t call them terrorists, he drew an analogy and to imply that he called them terrorists is deliberately obtuse. I think for him to be fired over this is knee jerk and really hurts the spirit of “innocent until proven guilty”.

don’t negotiate with terrorists, and don’t go to court with women who are trying to blackmail you for money with no police report. If this guy believes he knows watsons character fairly well and he thinks this is an attack and money grab towards him, why is that a fireable offense? No evidence has been mentioned and no police report was ever filed and not a single accuser wants to file charges, they’ve only requested settlements. Until a conclusion is drawn it is unreasonable to fire people for stating opinions based on what they know of the persons involved

It's because victim blaming enables rapists to get away with it because women are too scared to come forward. So publicly comparing them to terrorists is a dumb thing to do for someone in such a public position.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

I was just going by what was posted but you still have to be careful on how you phrase things. It's a damn sensitive world as you know. We've been seeing a lot of things taken out of context but the man is coming out with an apology which to me means he is admitting what he said was wrong and that's the problem. Stand firm. Don't apologize if you're not wrong.

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It's because victim blaming enables rapists to get away with it because women are too scared to come forward. So publicly comparing them to terrorists is a dumb thing to do for someone in such a public position.
It’s not victim blaming, it’s saying that if you want this man punished for what he did then take the right measures. But no, you all go to a lawyer who’s treating this like a class action lawsuit and see how many can bully him into giving y’all a payday. I won’t buy this until there are charges filed.
I was just going by what was posted but you still have to be careful on how you phrase things. It's a damn sensitive world as you know. We've been seeing a lot of things taken out of context but the man is coming out with an apology which to me means he is admitting what he said was wrong and that's the problem. Stand firm. Don't apologize if you're not wrong.
He apologized because the world we live in bullies and cancels anyone who doesn’t follow the narrative, and he would maybe like to continue his career in sports journalism. He spoke his thoughts based on his character assessment of a guy who has had a glowing reputation dating back to day one in college, it’s not his fault that social media is a mob of one track minded sissies who refuse to allow due process

You just can't get drawn into this stuff if you have a position of influence. The average person on the street can form whatever opinion they like based on the facts at hand, but if you're speaking from a platform that can influence public opinion, speak on evidence or wait for the courts to handle it. It's irresponsible to drive a narrative for something like this, intentionally or not.