• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

It’s not victim blaming, it’s saying that if you want this man punished for what he did then take the right measures. But no, you all go to a lawyer who’s treating this like a class action lawsuit and see how many can bully him into giving y’all a payday. I won’t buy this until there are charges filed.

He apologized because the world we live in bullies and cancels anyone who doesn’t follow the narrative, and he would maybe like to continue his career in sports journalism. He spoke his thoughts based on his character assessment of a guy who has had a glowing reputation dating back to day one in college, it’s not his fault that social media is a mob of one track minded sissies who refuse to allow due process

Charges have been filed. Or do you mean they weren't when he made this statement?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm referring to this: https://www.newsweek.com/houston-po...watson-after-criminal-complaint-filed-1580817

Looks like a criminal complaint might be a separate thing though - I don't know the system over there. Either way, police involved.
Well this is a development I haven’t heard about but fair enough, everything leading up to this looks like character assassination with the intent of extorting Watson out of his money, so now we should do as the justice system intends, and allow for due process.

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
I think for him to be fired over this is knee jerk and really hurts the spirit of “innocent until proven guilty”.

Innocent until proven guilty works both ways. He has essentially judged scores of alleged sexual assault victims guilty of at least extortion without a shred of evidence. A journalist has no business being in the business if he does such a thing.

It is my opinion that facts, evidence and justice are important, regardless of what I would like to see the outcome be (I've been a Watson fan). I seem to be in the minority in valuing facts and justice. Even so, a blanket statement equating alleged sexual assault victims with terrorists is, or at least should be, very problematic for someone in journalism.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
The entire situation with Watson doesn’t look good. At the very least, dude has a weird obsession with getting massages all over the place.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Innocent until proven guilty works both ways. He has essentially judged scores of alleged sexual assault victims guilty of at least extortion without a shred of evidence. A journalist has no business being in the business if he does such a thing.

It is my opinion that facts, evidence and justice are important, regardless of what I would like to see the outcome be (I've been a Watson fan). I seem to be in the minority in valuing facts and justice. Even so, a blanket statement equating alleged sexual assault victims with terrorists is, or at least should be, very problematic for someone in journalism.
Nobody ever came close to equating sexual assault victims to terrorists though

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nobody ever came close to equating sexual assault victims to terrorists though

"It’s kind of like you don’t, you know, you don’t negotiate with terrorists."

His exact words that ultimately got him relieved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m sure some of the women are taking full advantage of the moment to extort money from Watson, however the whole situation just doesn’t seem right.

Unfortunately in this country no one can be patient and wait for the facts. We just love to sensationalize anything and everything, true or not.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
"It’s kind of like you don’t, you know, you don’t negotiate with terrorists."

His exact words that ultimately got him relieved.

He didn’t equate them to terrorists by saying that, if you think he did you are being deliberately obtuse. People can speak figuratively. It’s VERY obvious to anyone with an ounce of rationality exactly what he was describing there.

He didn’t equate them to terrorists by saying that, if you think he did you are being deliberately obtuse. People can speak figuratively. It’s VERY obvious to anyone with an ounce of rationality exactly what he was describing there.

He compared the situation to negotiating with terrorists, that's what an analogy is, comparing something that is considered comparable. He's basically saying they are doing it for money, as a journalist he shouldn't be making that suggestion just like he shouldn't be saying that Watson is guilty either.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He compared the situation to negotiating with terrorists, that's what an analogy is, comparing something that is considered comparable. He's basically saying they are doing it for money, as a journalist he shouldn't be making that suggestion just like he shouldn't be saying that Watson is guilty either.
Comparing isnt equating.

he’s drawing an analogy by the situation, it was a saying that is commonly understood and everyone knows the context. If he were to not use a commonly understood phrase and instead say “you don’t give in to blackmailers” would that make everyone happy? Because that is what he was trying to say, but instead of saying that, he used a commonly understood expression, which is something people do A LOT in the English language, we use figures of speech all the time.

Oh and the answer to “would that make everyone happy?” is no, the fact that this reporter isn’t condemning deshaun Watson is all it will take to get anyone in an uproar. He probably wouldn’t have been fired had he used more direct words and not a figure of speech, hell who am I kidding yes he would have, but again, that’s cancel culture, irrational and driven by outrage and nothing more.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m sure some of the women are taking full advantage of the moment to extort money from Watson, however the whole situation just doesn’t seem right.

Unfortunately in this country no one can be patient and wait for the facts. We just love to sensationalize anything and everything, true or not.

Sensationalized. Exactly. The reporter sensationalized something by using a figure of speech, the cancel crowd sensationalized it by saying “he’s calling these women terrorists!” and the cycle continues, people are mad, careers are ending, and nobody has a fucking clue what the truth is

Comparing isnt equating.

he’s drawing an analogy by the situation, it was a saying that is commonly understood and everyone knows the context. If he were to not use a commonly understood phrase and instead say “you don’t give in to blackmailers” would that make everyone happy? Because that is what he was trying to say, but instead of saying that, he used a commonly understood expression, which is something people do A LOT in the English language, we use figures of speech all the time.

Oh and the answer to “would that make everyone happy?” is no, the fact that this reporter isn’t condemning deshaun Watson is all it will take to get anyone in an uproar. He probably wouldn’t have been fired had he used more direct words and not a figure of speech, hell who am I kidding yes he would have, but again, that’s cancel culture, irrational and driven by outrage and nothing more.

Blackmailers or terrorists really doesn't make a difference, the point is the same. If you think it's fine for a journalist to question the motives of alleged victims of rape then that's your choice. When it's been well documented that rapists escape prosecution and go on to rape further victims because of a victims fear of being further attacked than I'd rather be on the side doing something to reduce the prevalence of rape in todays society by callingthat shit out. If that makes me part of the so called cancel culture then so be it, at least I'll be able to look my daughter in the eye and say I tried to affect change.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Blackmailers or terrorists really doesn't make a difference, the point is the same. If you think it's fine for a journalist to question the motives of alleged victims of rape then that's your choice. When it's been well documented that rapists escape prosecution and go on to rape further victims because of a victims fear of being further attacked than I'd rather be on the side doing something to reduce the prevalence of rape in todays society by callingthat shit out. If that makes me part of the so called cancel culture then so be it, at least I'll be able to look my daughter in the eye and say I tried to affect change.
It’s also been well documented that false accusations of rape has ruined lives and the accusers face no repercussions even after innocence has been proven. Literally everything you’re saying can be argued for the opposite side of your argument, wanna know why? Because there are 2 sides and nobody knows the truth.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
The entire situation with Watson doesn’t look good. At the very least, dude has a weird obsession with getting massages all over the place.

Yeah, like we don't know what actually happened between Watson and these accusers, but it's definitely concerning that Watson could practically make his own Yelp app for massage places.

It’s also been well documented that false accusations of rape has ruined lives and the accusers face no repercussions even after innocence has been proven. Literally everything you’re saying can be argued for the opposite side of your argument, wanna know why? Because there are 2 sides and nobody knows the truth.
That last line right there is the problem though. Put aside the words he used, this guy essentially used his platform to tell a large number of people that these women are lying because Watson is a nice guy. He doesn't know what happened. It's irresponsible to make that comment with the platform he has. Nice-seeming guys can easily do bad shit; it's the inverse of the AB conversation we had the other day. It's one thing all of us having opinions, but that kind of platform comes with responsibility and he fell short of it. Good chance that's why he was fired, not the words he used.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah except, in the current media landscape, its not a two way street. "Bad journalism" only equates to giving unpopular, bad opinions, as opposed to popular, bad opinions.

There are many, many, many journalists, both nationally and local to that area, who have convicted Deshaun Watson in the court of public opinion already, and they've used their platform to do it. Those people will keep their jobs, and Aaron Wilson will not.

It would literally be impossible to reconcile those two things as "fair" if "irresponsible journalism" is the "charge" that Wilson has been convicted of.

Wilson didn't get fired for irresponsible journalism. He got fired because he made unpopular statements, has an unpopular opinion on the subject, and used an analogy that may have offended a small portion of the population who clearly isn't very intelligent and can't think for themselves to begin with.

The idea that he's fired for "bad journalism" is just a smoke screen. Its just the PC way of saying "I don't like what he said, and neither do our readers, so he's out". Because if you admit the real reason why he got fired, then you look like a gigantic hypocrite.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

As much as there is no evidence that Watson raped these woman, there isn't any evidence that they are just extorting money from him either.