• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Mark Ingram, I love the guy, but man he fucking killed us early in the year. He was an absolute drive killer, every drive we opened with a handoff to Ingram felt like a 3 and out, every time we were moving and “changed up” by running Ingram, the drive immediately stalled.

watching the 2020 chiefs game and man we were OFF this night, Lamar frankly didn’t look too bad, andrews dropped multiple MAJOR passes that were well placed, Hollywood came up shy without even locating or reaching for a catchable ball that was a possible TD, and formation/OL penalties in key moments, plus a dropped snap. Despite all of this, the force feeding of Ingram was still the ugliest part of this game, like these plays all look so bad, like the second the ball is snapped you know ingrams taking it and getting swarmed within a yard.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Many mistakes were made around 2013. Bad luck with those deals but Flacco sucked outside of 1 year of his new contract. Monroe... yuck
I disagree about it being every year, I think only 2 were really bad, most below his contract though. But everyone got those contracts then, even dalton and kapernick

In 2017 I thought he was at worst average if not a bit above average. You gotta remember how shit some of the lines talent and play calling was. We were built to win through defense and 2017 we honestly could have made a decent playoff run. 2016 very average. 15 terrible and 13 trash but both of those teams were scary.

flacco will always be a player who will do super super well if everything was right around him. It rarely was though lol.

I wanted him with the 9ers so bad pre draft imagine if jimmy went down.. elite te, great play action, fast wrs, a rb who catches balls, a great line and defense. He would have won the super bowl lol.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I disagree about it being every year, I think only 2 were really bad, most below his contract though. But everyone got those contracts then, even dalton and kapernick

In 2017 I thought he was at worst average if not a bit above average. You gotta remember how shit some of the lines talent and play calling was. We were built to win through defense and 2017 we honestly could have made a decent playoff run. 2016 very average. 15 terrible and 13 trash but both of those teams were scary.

flacco will always be a player who will do super super well if everything was right around him. It rarely was though lol.

I wanted him with the 9ers so bad pre draft imagine if jimmy went down.. elite te, great play action, fast wrs, a rb who catches balls, a great line and defense. He would have won the super bowl lol.
If I’m being real, I don’t think flacco has been capable of even managing a loaded squad to a deep playoff run since his 2015 injury. He was never the same player.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Monroe is another one that should be added to the Pit of Misery list @Dom McRaven

Monroe was a huge disappointment to me... he was once a very very rock solid LT, but alas got way too interested in advocating for weed. Totally understand advocacy but when it gets in the way of your job, I think that’s when it’s time to go

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mark Ingram, I love the guy, but man he fucking killed us early in the year. He was an absolute drive killer, every drive we opened with a handoff to Ingram felt like a 3 and out, every time we were moving and “changed up” by running Ingram, the drive immediately stalled.

watching the 2020 chiefs game and man we were OFF this night, Lamar frankly didn’t look too bad, andrews dropped multiple MAJOR passes that were well placed, Hollywood came up shy without even locating or reaching for a catchable ball that was a possible TD, and formation/OL penalties in key moments, plus a dropped snap. Despite all of this, the force feeding of Ingram was still the ugliest part of this game, like these plays all look so bad, like the second the ball is snapped you know ingrams taking it and getting swarmed within a yard.

Ingram never looked the same after getting hurt near the end of 2019. Great leader and personality, but it was clear that he starting to become a liability on the field when we tried to forcefeed him the ball.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Monroe was a huge disappointment to me... he was once a very very rock solid LT, but alas got way too interested in advocating for weed. Totally understand advocacy but when it gets in the way of your job, I think that’s when it’s time to go
Didn't he struggle with injuries here? I can't say I blame him for wanting to retire early, but unfortunately it happened during a string of bad luck and poor decisions with other contracts.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lack of focus

Didn't he struggle with injuries here? I can't say I blame him for wanting to retire early, but unfortunately it happened during a string of bad luck and poor decisions with other contracts.
Lack of focus is mostly just a "fan theory" because he was outspoken on non-football issues, while mostly not playing football. Would have been completely ignored if he played and played well.
He missed 6 of 18 games in 2014 (including a playoff game) due to knee and ankle injuries.
He missed 10 of 16 games in 2015, and it was worse than that. He played 6 snaps in weak 1, suffered a concussion, and missed three straight games after that (essentially missed first month of the season). He then suffered a shoulder injury, missed week 8, came back to play two more weeks, then missed the 6 weeks with it and landed on IR.

So basically, after signing a $7.5M/year contract in 2014, he played in 16 of 34 possible games (less than 50%), and didn't finish another 2-3 of those.
Eugene Monroe, the weed advocate, would have been the Ravens LT for likely another year or two, had he not missed so much in time in the 2+ years he was here. The month he missed for a concussion was essentially his main reason for retiring before the age of 30, despite having interest from plenty of others team in 2016 after his release.

He sort of factored into the "trifecta" of bad contracts that all hurt as at the same time, along with Ray Rice and Pitta. Monroe's contract actually made a ton of sense at that time... he was extremely durable in Jacksonville, and he wasn't being paid like an elite LT when he signed his extension. Injuries just crushed him.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lack of focus is mostly just a "fan theory" because he was outspoken on non-football issues, while mostly not playing football. Would have been completely ignored if he played and played well.
He missed 6 of 18 games in 2014 (including a playoff game) due to knee and ankle injuries.
He missed 10 of 16 games in 2015, and it was worse than that. He played 6 snaps in weak 1, suffered a concussion, and missed three straight games after that (essentially missed first month of the season). He then suffered a shoulder injury, missed week 8, came back to play two more weeks, then missed the 6 weeks with it and landed on IR.

So basically, after signing a $7.5M/year contract in 2014, he played in 16 of 34 possible games (less than 50%), and didn't finish another 2-3 of those.
Eugene Monroe, the weed advocate, would have been the Ravens LT for likely another year or two, had he not missed so much in time in the 2+ years he was here. The month he missed for a concussion was essentially his main reason for retiring before the age of 30, despite having interest from plenty of others team in 2016 after his release.

He sort of factored into the "trifecta" of bad contracts that all hurt as at the same time, along with Ray Rice and Pitta. Monroe's contract actually made a ton of sense at that time... he was extremely durable in Jacksonville, and he wasn't being paid like an elite LT when he signed his extension. Injuries just crushed him.

1) Could he have played through some of those injuries if fully invested?

2) Focus is a big component of conditioning. Conditioning is a big component of durability.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
1) Could he have played through some of those injuries if fully invested?

2) Focus is a big component of conditioning. Conditioning is a big component of durability.

1. Probably not, but I'm not a doctor and neither is anybody else on here. I'm fairly confident there's no medical advice that advocates you "focus" or "invest" yourself through a concussion, which cost him four games, and in two other cases that he was out for long periods, they were due to surgeries being performed. So again, I'm not sure the science is there to think he could have simply played through them.

2. I'm sure it is. I'm also not sure if "proper conditioning" is the kind of attribute you're looking to make a durability issue for an offensive lineman, given that their job is to pretty much play at a largely unhealthy weight and body type, oftentimes hundreds of pounds heavier than what they would be if they didn't play football at all. Offensive lineman usually get hurt due to getting pushed and pulled into dozens of other bodies throughout the game for weeks on end. Quite a bit different than the conditioning or impact levels of, say, a WR or a QB.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. Probably not, but I'm not a doctor and neither is anybody else on here. I'm fairly confident there's no medical advice that advocates you "focus" or "invest" yourself through a concussion, which cost him four games, and in two other cases that he was out for long periods, they were due to surgeries being performed. So again, I'm not sure the science is there to think he could have simply played through them.

2. I'm sure it is. I'm also not sure if "proper conditioning" is the kind of attribute you're looking to make a durability issue for an offensive lineman, given that their job is to pretty much play at a largely unhealthy weight and body type, oftentimes hundreds of pounds heavier than what they would be if they didn't play football at all. Offensive lineman usually get hurt due to getting pushed and pulled into dozens of other bodies throughout the game for weeks on end. Quite a bit different than the conditioning or impact levels of, say, a WR or a QB.

I would actually argue that conditioning is extremely important for OL. If you carry around bad weight, you’re inefficient and likely to get hurt. If you’re playing with muscle mass, you’re more likely to be effective and do a better job of staying healthy unless you have the freak accidents

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would actually argue that conditioning is extremely important for OL. If you carry around bad weight, you’re inefficient and likely to get hurt. If you’re playing with muscle mass, you’re more likely to be effective and do a better job of staying healthy unless you have the freak accidents
OK, and based on the body type that Monroe had, he would tend to fall into the latter. I've not yet seen anybody gave an example of Monroe with bad conditioning.

I think that's kind of my whole point.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
@RavensMania
Do you have an opinion on how Kerrigan would work here vs. Justin Houston? my knee jerk is that he's a better run defender and a better overall fit but I haven't watched enough.