• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Monroe was a huge disappointment to me... he was once a very very rock solid LT, but alas got way too interested in advocating for weed. Totally understand advocacy but when it gets in the way of your job, I think that’s when it’s time to go
Tbf it wasn’t the advocacy that made him bust, it was the injuries.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
OK, and based on the body type that Monroe had, he would tend to fall into the latter. I've not yet seen anybody gave an example of Monroe with bad conditioning.

I think that's kind of my whole point.
Monroe definitely didn’t show anything that would point to poor conditioning, as a matter of fact he was extremely well built and athletic and he definitely appeared to be in top playing condition when he was here.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Monroe definitely didn’t show anything that would point to poor conditioning, as a matter of fact he was extremely well built and athletic and he definitely appeared to be in top playing condition when he was here.
I think it would be hard to argue it was a "conditioning" thing.

Now, if you want to go back to 2015, after he's out for a month with a concussion, and he's essentially being told to take pills that have proven to lead to addictions issues, while being denied ability to use a much safer, arguably more effective drug, then yes, I could see him coming back from that and mentally being in a "less motivated" spot than he was prior to it. But I'm sure the writing was on the wall that he wasn't going to return after that season by that point already. And that's also extreme conjecture and really isn't supportable either.

I'm never going to be the guy who's out here pretending to be a Doctor who diagnosis NFL injuries and tells players whether they're mentally or physically capable of playing or not. You see clowns on the internet all the time who are like "well X player played with a torn labrum and Y player is weak because he didn't" and blah blah blah. Its all crap. Most of the time you don't leave these decisions up to players to begin with. And if I'm a player, I'm getting healed the best that I can, instead of delaying and risking not getting paid to clear an injury.

Not to mention that I didn't think Monroe was a stud when he was here to begin with. He wasn't bad, but I didn't think he was anything special. And so I'm not sure I want a player like him out there playing concussed or playing with a significantly shoulder or knee injury. Why do I think he would be better than the alternative we would put out there?

redrum52

Hall of Famer
1) Could he have played through some of those injuries if fully invested?

2) Focus is a big component of conditioning. Conditioning is a big component of durability.

Not 100% sure but think he went on record saying his inuries were worse than he let on and wasn't killing his future health for football.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
@RavensMania
Do you have an opinion on how Kerrigan would work here vs. Justin Houston? my knee jerk is that he's a better run defender and a better overall fit but I haven't watched enough.
I always have been a fan of Kerrigan and wanted us to get. him last year around the trade deadline. I think he would be an excellent fit and yes he would be a better run defender.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think it would be hard to argue it was a "conditioning" thing.

Now, if you want to go back to 2015, after he's out for a month with a concussion, and he's essentially being told to take pills that have proven to lead to addictions issues, while being denied ability to use a much safer, arguably more effective drug, then yes, I could see him coming back from that and mentally being in a "less motivated" spot than he was prior to it. But I'm sure the writing was on the wall that he wasn't going to return after that season by that point already. And that's also extreme conjecture and really isn't supportable either.

I'm never going to be the guy who's out here pretending to be a Doctor who diagnosis NFL injuries and tells players whether they're mentally or physically capable of playing or not. You see clowns on the internet all the time who are like "well X player played with a torn labrum and Y player is weak because he didn't" and blah blah blah. Its all crap. Most of the time you don't leave these decisions up to players to begin with. And if I'm a player, I'm getting healed the best that I can, instead of delaying and risking not getting paid to clear an injury.

Not to mention that I didn't think Monroe was a stud when he was here to begin with. He wasn't bad, but I didn't think he was anything special. And so I'm not sure I want a player like him out there playing concussed or playing with a significantly shoulder or knee injury. Why do I think he would be better than the alternative we would put out there?
If I was in his shoes and I was being denied my medicine of choice and having opiates forced on me, yes I absolutely would be mentally checked out, lol fuck that.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If I was in his shoes and I was being denied my medicine of choice and having opiates forced on me, yes I absolutely would be mentally checked out, lol fuck that.
Well my timeline appears to be off a bit. Based on the article he wrote awhile back about the subject, he was prescribed oxycodone for his shoulder injuries that effectively ended his career. He took them for a couple weeks I believe, said it basically made him hallucinate, and he refused thereafter. Would be released and then subsequently retired.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Fun thought. What does the board think about this question? Who will have the better season, Watkins or Bateman? I'm talking about clutch receptions, 1st downs, TDs, and yards. Overall, who is gonna ball out? I have a feeling at least one of them has 700 yards and 7 TDs. I'm not sure which one though. If I had to lean one way, I'd say Sammy.

Also Marquise goes over 1000 this year.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fun thought. What does the board think about this question? Who will have the better season, Watkins or Bateman? I'm talking about clutch receptions, 1st downs, TDs, and yards. Overall, who is gonna ball out? I have a feeling at least one of them has 700 yards and 7 TDs. I'm not sure which one though. If I had to lean one way, I'd say Sammy.

Bateman. He has more talent and Watkins may not even give you 12 games

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

So short answer is... in your entire prediction model there, I don't see it happening. One of two things would have to occur:
1. The Ravens throw the ball A LOT more. I know that Roman's been saying we'll throw more, and our offseason additions mean we should, but I'm not saying more. I'm saying a LOT more. Like 25 attempts isn't getting those numbers. He'll need to be like 30-35, at least. You're talking about 450-500 pass attempts in a season. My money is on that not happening.
2. There would need to be a long-term injury to likely Mark Andrews, that forces the Ravens into almost exclusive WR sets.

I think 700 yards for a third receiver is possible. I just don't think you can expect to get big jumps from Hollywood and/or Andrews without a major change in offensive philosophy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

hard to say - it's possible that bateman finishes with more yards etc. but sammy is notoriously clutch in big games (or at least was for the chiefs) - the kind of guy who may miss a couple of games but might also go off a couple of games and take it over

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Bateman. You think I #SIIE'd this just for him to come up short to Watkins? No sire.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
So short answer is... in your entire prediction model there, I don't see it happening. One of two things would have to occur:
1. The Ravens throw the ball A LOT more. I know that Roman's been saying we'll throw more, and our offseason additions mean we should, but I'm not saying more. I'm saying a LOT more. Like 25 attempts isn't getting those numbers. He'll need to be like 30-35, at least. You're talking about 450-500 pass attempts in a season. My money is on that not happening.
2. There would need to be a long-term injury to likely Mark Andrews, that forces the Ravens into almost exclusive WR sets.

I think 700 yards for a third receiver is possible. I just don't think you can expect to get big jumps from Hollywood and/or Andrews without a major change in offensive philosophy.

I would actually just straight up agree with you based on all the evidence we have of the Ravens over the last 3 years. Implicit in my predictions there is that I really do think we're gonna pass a lot more. Something about it feels real to me with having a potentially strong WR room.

Now it could all be smoke and all it means is that we'll throw the same amount but be more efficient. What I think will happen though, is it will start there and then we'll get a little taste for passing. We will see though.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
hard to say - it's possible that bateman finishes with more yards etc. but sammy is notoriously clutch in big games (or at least was for the chiefs) - the kind of guy who may miss a couple of games but might also go off a couple of games and take it over

I think Sammy may miss a few games, but he's a real veteran presence. Someone that is likely to be matched up 1 on 1. I think he thrives here.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Well my timeline appears to be off a bit. Based on the article he wrote awhile back about the subject, he was prescribed oxycodone for his shoulder injuries that effectively ended his career. He took them for a couple weeks I believe, said it basically made him hallucinate, and he refused thereafter. Would be released and then subsequently retired.
Honestly I not only support his actions, I fucking love em. He has been instrumental in the nfl lightening it’s stance on it, which has been desperately needed for a long time and I wish they would immediately reinstate josh Gordon and not test him for weed ever again.