• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Hungover thought of the day. EDC said he loved the wr room. Went and drafted 2 wrs. What if that was the chess move to trade for Julio when they thought we were done?

And I'm going back to sleep...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
In the US it’s mostly all about drinking with the purpose of getting drunk, however in the US we tend to be much less concerned with quality of alcohol and much more concerned with quantity and the pace you drink it at, in other words, pissy light beers in mass quantities going down as fast as possible.

at 19 years later old a night of drinking for me meant a 30 pack to myself and handing out 2-3 for the homies who needed one, so 27-28 beers in a night was standard. That’s a different life lol
this is true for the most part. I remember Milwaukees Best (the Beast) in college, but I couldn't drink the cheap stuff. It was awful.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i look at it this way - if things hadnt happened the way they did that year then we never would have had a shot at Ronnie Stanley or taken him
Hard to look at it that way when you see what the team did in 2014, if we hadn’t extended pitta, ray rice, and then made that Monroe trade, the ravens definitely had a much bigger super bowl window.

2015 was a result of multiple big money/big resource off-season moves that completely melted down almost instantly, we didn’t have the resources to re stock the team, we lost our OC, lacked talent, and the talent we had was aging and expensive. That happens when you give a quarter of your cap to an above average at best qb, and another quarter of it to 3 players who aren’t on the field along with multiple draft picks for one of those players.

but yes, the high draft pick sparked the reboot to get us where we are now. Unfortunately we blew it anyway by drafting Correa and Kaufusi and leaving that draft with a fraction of the talent we should have. Passing on Michael Thomas was and still is inexcusable, and kaufusi simply looked like shit on film and was (I believe) a 26 year old rookie and really I could not understand why he was drafted.

Stanley, Judon, and tavon were great picks, but when you factor in the whiffs and what we missed on, that draft actually looks bad, mostly because the picks that should’ve been made were standing there screaming in our faces and we got cute with some bullshit picks, a worry I have with the 2020 class as well

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hard to look at it that way when you see what the team did in 2014, if we hadn’t extended pitta, ray rice, and then made that Monroe trade, the ravens definitely had a much bigger super bowl window.

2015 was a result of multiple big money/big resource off-season moves that completely melted down almost instantly, we didn’t have the resources to re stock the team, we lost our OC, lacked talent, and the talent we had was aging and expensive. That happens when you give a quarter of your cap to an above average at best qb, and another quarter of it to 3 players who aren’t on the field along with multiple draft picks for one of those players.

but yes, the high draft pick sparked the reboot to get us where we are now. Unfortunately we blew it anyway by drafting Correa and Kaufusi and leaving that draft with a fraction of the talent we should have. Passing on Michael Thomas was and still is inexcusable, and kaufusi simply looked like shit on film and was (I believe) a 26 year old rookie and really I could not understand why he was drafted.

Stanley, Judon, and tavon were great picks, but when you factor in the whiffs and what we missed on, that draft actually looks bad, mostly because the picks that should’ve been made were standing there screaming in our faces and we got cute with some bullshit picks, a worry I have with the 2020 class as well

Yeah I remember being completely wasted, looking at who we had drafted that night completely lit, and wondered who was more drunk that night. Me, or whoever the F was drafting those two players

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Stanley, Judon, and tavon were great picks, but when you factor in the whiffs and what we missed on, that draft actually looks bad, mostly because the picks that should’ve been made were standing there screaming in our faces and we got cute with some bullshit picks, a worry I have with the 2020 class as well[/QUOTE]
You really have the same worry with the 2020 class. We already have Queen, J.K. Dobbins and Madubuike looking like they are going to be stars in their own right. Queen was really coming on on the back half of the year and that was without a normal offseason. Sure Duvernay and the rest could end up busting, but if a few of those pieces can be serviceable depth along with the first three being very good starters than it's a success.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

100%. Idk if I'm the only one, but idk why we keep drafting these Michigan scrubs. We're supposed to have intel because of Harbs.
The result are awful though.
1. Willie Henry was labeled as steal
Didn't even make it to year 4.
2. Chris Wormley another bust we flipped him for basically nothing
3. Bredeson barely saw the field and might be cut this year.
4. Mason tbd

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah I remember being completely wasted, looking at who we had drafted that night completely lit, and wondered who was more drunk that night. Me, or whoever the F was drafting those two players

As a follow-up on this... I’m imagining a pick being turned in by us for Michael Thomas, and a Steelers spy changing it out for Correa... and then a Patriots spy changed Joe Thuney to Kaufusi

rossihunter2

Staff Member
100%. Idk if I'm the only one, but idk why we keep drafting these Michigan scrubs. We're supposed to have intel because of Harbs.
4. Mason tbd

willie henry was a good day 3 pick - he got unlucky with an injury and then didn't really come back the same and never got his career off the ground
wormley still to this day makes no sense to me - he's the boykin of DL picks

bredeson is interesting just because he's intelligent and nasty but he does have pretty short arms - but i really liked his tape and he did ok as the 6th OL when called on - what's interesting about it though is that we didnt have the inside info on michael onwenu who's tape was very impressive but there were some questions about his athleticism and yet not only was he successful as a rookie, he was successful at tackle as a rookie despite those athleticism concerns and him playing guard in college - that to me feels like more of an egregious miss

i wonder if we're getting great info on michigan guys from jim but that jim's ability to recognise talent is poor - michigan's not generating a ton of talent the way it was expected they would when he took over...

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
4. Mason tbd

Because the flinky dink Harbaugh connections... did you not see where they were asked why they drafted Mason and Harbaugh said it’s because he was his dads favorite player?? Like when has that EVER been a reason to draft a player?? He didn’t even say it was because of his brother saying he was a great player. If I remember correctly, EDC directed that question right to John.

Overall, I think Harbaugh has way to tight of a grip on this team/organization. But I think EDC is minimizing it as much as possible. Just like when Harbaugh wanted to trade way up to grab Cleveland when he was available right at their original spot, EDC rejected the trade-up that likely would’ve costed us a solid prospect in Tylan Wallace.

And I don’t get it... it’s not like we’ve failed at HC’s... hell, Billick was a solid coach for us for a number of years. It’s not like we can’t find anyone at HC

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
willie henry was a good day 3 pick - he got unlucky with an injury and then didn't really come back the same and never got his career off the ground
wormley still to this day makes no sense to me - he's the boykin of DL picks

bredeson is interesting just because he's intelligent and nasty but he does have pretty short arms - but i really liked his tape and he did ok as the 6th OL when called on - what's interesting about it though is that we didnt have the inside info on michael onwenu who's tape was very impressive but there were some questions about his athleticism and yet not only was he successful as a rookie, he was successful at tackle as a rookie despite those athleticism concerns and him playing guard in college - that to me feels like more of an egregious miss

i wonder if we're getting great info on michigan guys from jim but that jim's ability to recognise talent is poor - michigan's not generating a ton of talent the way it was expected they would when he took over...

GREAT analysis... just like my post, I think the Harbaugh influence is way too great for how shitty it is

Reactions: cdp

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ll even add to my original post. It was becoming a team full of soft, mighty men. No attitude whatsoever, little passion. But EDC steps in and immediately starts bringing guys IN THE DRAFT (yes I know about a few of our FA’s) with obvious passion and productive attitude in and starts drafting original Ravens type players

rossihunter2

Staff Member
GREAT analysis... just like my post, I think the Harbaugh influence is way too great for how shitty it is

i mean tbf when you get good info it's invaluable and it's clear from 2021 generally just how much scouts value knowing everything vs having gaps in data - the number of guys who fell because of questions in 2021 was a lot higher than in other years because they couldnt answer those questions like they could in previous years

so those connections are useful - but yeah, you want to be getting good info and none of our michigan picks since jim took over there have paid any dividends really

and on day 3, it's about taking guys that you like - why not get the guy that someone in the building really likes - especially the coaches

it sounds like drew wilkins absolutely loved jayson oweh and you know that harbs loved cleveland and mason, but the analytics department did study that suggested tylan wallace (and bateman) were at the top of their position group

it will be interesting to know if we got any of the red star guys this year

Reactions: cdp

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean tbf when you get good info it's invaluable and it's clear from 2021 generally just how much scouts value knowing everything vs having gaps in data - the number of guys who fell because of questions in 2021 was a lot higher than in other years because they couldnt answer those questions like they could in previous years

so those connections are useful - but yeah, you want to be getting good info and none of our michigan picks since jim took over there have paid any dividends really

and on day 3, it's about taking guys that you like - why not get the guy that someone in the building really likes - especially the coaches

it sounds like drew wilkins absolutely loved jayson oweh and you know that harbs loved cleveland and mason, but the analytics department did study that suggested tylan wallace (and bateman) were at the top of their position group

I do wonder if there's a correlation between red stars and effort stickers....
Btt: you're right. I just don't like the picks when we made them and now using hindsight.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

I get your point man. I do. And I’m trying to see a purpose for Mason over perhaps another OL player... but I still find it extremely curious how EDC said little to nothing about Mason. Almost like he took him just to shut Harbaugh up.

But I’ll also mention this. When’s the last time we ever drafted a good Michigan player? Or any team for that matter

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I get your point man. I do. And I’m trying to see a purpose for Mason over perhaps another OL player... but I still find it extremely curious how EDC said little to nothing about Mason. Almost like he took him just to shut Harbaugh up.

But I’ll also mention this. When’s the last time we ever drafted a good Michigan player? Or any team for that matter
I'm pretty sure we have never drafted a good Michigan player
From the state of the Michigan probably Matt Judon.