• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Man, watching passing highlights from Lamar’s MVP season, he looked so damn comfortable in the pocket and was throwing dime after dime to probably the leagues worst WR group. If this seasons offensive line can be similar or close, I expect another MVP-caliber season from Lamar. Skill positions are already dangerous. Just need that good pass protection and some better concepts from GRo. So excited

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Damn I didn’t even know Grand Valley was in MI
It’s funny because we had two Grand Valley players on the roster at the same time: Judon and Carr lol. I never even heard of that college before we drafted Judon

Reactions: cdp

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s funny because we had two Grand Valley players on the roster at the same time: Judon and Carr lol. I never even heard of that college before we drafted Judon

Carr was from GVU? That’s awesome. Both players were very solid players for us

JAAM

Hall of Famer

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
well we drafted a lot of high upside guys, but some that had low floors as well and for that matter, I don't see Oweh as one with a low floor considering he is already a dominant run defender. I do see your point though.

Plus a guy who gets a lot of disruption and is available, a la Clowney with more durability. I feel like he’s a large reason we didn’t sign him for a big contact in FA

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Plus a guy who gets a lot of disruption and is available, a la Clowney with more durability. I feel like he’s a large reason we didn’t sign him for a big contact in FA
I'm not sure I'd compare him to Clowney outside of his physical numbers and being a very good run defender. Both are freaks though and if Oweh can be anywhere near as good as Clowney, than it would be a huge steal.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I do wonder if there's a correlation between red stars and effort stickers....
Btt: you're right. I just don't like the picks when we made them and now using hindsight.

the only one that really frustrates me is the chris wormley one because he's a day 2 pick and i had a 5th round grade on him - the others i dont mind even if i dont love the player because they're day 3 picks

and from what i gather, the red stars are the scout's individual favourites (each scout gets one red star each) - basically their pound the table for this guy as a person as well as a player - so all the red stars are probably going to be high effort players but idk that that's all they are lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I get your point man. I do. And I’m trying to see a purpose for Mason over perhaps another OL player... but I still find it extremely curious how EDC said little to nothing about Mason. Almost like he took him just to shut Harbaugh up.

But I’ll also mention this. When’s the last time we ever drafted a good Michigan player? Or any team for that matter

other teams have had some recent decent picks - no true stars have come from michigan for a while

Frank Clark in 2015 was the last pro bowler drafted from Michigan and Taylor Lewan from 2014 too but other than them you have to go back to 2008 before you find the next one

2020 has some promising ones though: Michael Onwenu already showed a lot as a rookie, we saw flashes from Josh Uche too and cesar ruiz looked ok to begin his career, DPJ's got a chance to kick on in 2021 but equally could turn into nothing

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Man, watching passing highlights from Lamar’s MVP season, he looked so damn comfortable in the pocket and was throwing dime after dime to probably the leagues worst WR group. If this seasons offensive line can be similar or close, I expect another MVP-caliber season from Lamar. Skill positions are already dangerous. Just need that good pass protection and some better concepts from GRo. So excited

i think the biggest times it showed up was when we went empty - in 2019 he was the best in the league out of empty and in 2020 he was poor and we hardly used it at all down the stretch - if JK can progress as a receiver and we get some better pass pro i think you'll start to see us become a lethal empty set team again especially with this receiving group we've assembled this year

as you say he was able to carve up those defences with mark andrews, a one-legged hollywood and seth roberts

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm not sure I'd compare him to Clowney outside of his physical numbers and being a very good run defender. Both are freaks though and if Oweh can be anywhere near as good as Clowney, than it would be a huge steal.

Just interested in how you wouldn’t compare to him to Clowney as a prospect lol

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

interesting lol - and that's with duvernay hardly playing the 2nd half of the year... im surprised lynn bowden didn't have more given his skillset

Lynn Bowden was gone the same year he was drafted... BEFORE the season lmao

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The clowney comp is based on them both being disruptive to the point that they can wreck game plans without even showing up on the stat sheet, and they both do so by being absolute freaks

Oweh would need to develop more to become what clowney has become, but the comp is there IMO.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Next Tuesday is June 1st, does anyone expect some trades to happen? Julio Jones? Aaron Rodgers? Any other player?