• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
BRIAN FLORES AS DC
SEAN PAYTON AS OC CONFIRMED

#SIIE

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.
Tf you doing with this #SIIE? You don't even believe this! But what I do believe is that you need a day's worth of the Pit of Misery to cleanse your mind of this #tomfoolery.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I absolutely love the Harbaugh fan club here. It’s cute. I really, truly do. Spoken in the best non-Iron Man lingo I could find. Except, really this thing is really really cute. Just like Tony Stark would say as he’s trying to save the team from mediocre bullshit
This iron man larping is cringe as fuck

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Only you right? Cause you know it all...
Nope. I usually just leave that up to the people who have been putting together winning football teams for decades, and never leave it up to the people who flip burgers for a living and who's maximum lifetime achievement of NFL talent evaluation, at any level, is capped at "well the guy on Twitter told me...".

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Nope. I usually just leave that up to the people who have been putting together winning football teams for decades, and never leave it up to the people who flip burgers for a living and who's maximum lifetime achievement of NFL talent evaluation, at any level, is capped at "well the guy on Twitter told me...".
Do you want Roman for another season?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
tbf we've only had one for one season in total
tbf the track record of Ravens fans being able to identify good vs bad coaching is pretty putrid. Ever coordinator we've hired since the history of mankind has been better than the last one... until they weren't, and then we wanted them fired too. And then we put another quarter in the merry-go-round and round and round we go.

I'm just waiting to see how many decades it takes for fans to realize that firing the coach pretty much never yields the output they're seeking.

It's kind of the same song and dance for me. I hope he does get fired. Then I get to mock people relentlessly like I did the last time, when we replace the coach, the offense doesn't improve, and fans keep living their lives pretending like it's not their fault.

Its the wonderful, useless life of being a fan. They're held accountable for precisely nothing, but they never miss an opportunity to take credit for something they had nothing to do with.

This is a board where people give their opinions and perspectives that's all. You in the same damn position as all of us that are fans..behind a device giving your own opinions... nothing we say here has an impact on the team. So who cares if some advocate for this or that coordinator to be gone or say so and so sucks. It's a message board where fans gather.. So if your standard is leaving it to the Pros then don't comment on anything because hey after all you not a pro even though you might not flip burgers

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Do you want Roman for another season?
Sure. I want to see what another season of this personnel group with a non-pathetic offensive line looks like.

Plus I just like to see people squirm. I like the part's where we're exponentially better at every level of offense than just about any other of the half dozen coordinators we've had here in the last decade +, but its not enough.

I stayed off this board, largely, for the last few days for one sole purpose... I wanted to see just how dumb people were. I wanted to see if people lost their mind that Roman didn't get fired but Wink did. And I wanted people to see if they realized how good the offense was with as bad a personnel as we had, and how bad the defense was with the personnel we had, and could tell the difference between the two.

And it was exactly as I expected.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is a board where people give their opinions and perspectives that's all. You in the same damn position as all of us that are fans..behind a device giving your own opinions... nothing we say here has an impact on the team. So who cares if some advocate for this or that coordinator to be gone or say so and so sucks. It's a message board where fans gather.. So if your standard is leaving it to the Pros then don't comment on anything because hey after all you not a pro even though you might not flip burgers
Or maybe the people who are advocating for people to be fired, while simultaneously admitting that they don't really know what they're talking about and can't actually impact change at all, should perhaps say nothing at all? Why is that so challenging.

There's a lot of irony in the fact that you're OK criticizing Roman and asking for him to be fired, but when the fan gets criticized for having an opinion that, in my opinion, isn't really supportable, its just "hey hey man we're all allowed to have our opinions. We shouldn't be criticized for them".

That ain't how the real world works. The ability to have an opinion is matched, dollar for dollar, by the ability to criticize somebodies opinion. That's how opinions work.

I don't think I have explain my rationale for why the opinion of a successful NFL franchise in regards to a coaches status is exponentially more valuable to me than the opinion of any fan ever, including my own. I think its self-explanatory.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Sure. I want to see what another season of this personnel group with a non-pathetic offensive line looks like.

Plus I just like to see people squirm. I like the part's where we're exponentially better at every level of offense than just about any other of the half dozen coordinators we've had here in the last decade +, but its not enough.

I stayed off this board, largely, for the last few days for one sole purpose... I wanted to see just how dumb people were. I wanted to see if people lost their mind that Roman didn't get fired but Wink did. And I wanted people to see if they realized how good the offense was with as bad a personnel as we had, and how bad the defense was with the personnel we had, and could tell the difference between the two.

And it was exactly as I expected.
But haven’t we seen enough? We had him in 2019 when we were extremely healthy, and his play calling fell flat in the playoffs. We also had him last season when we were relatively healthy, and he fell flat again in the playoffs. I don’t understand why folks think a healthy group is going to change anything. Steve Smith and Kurt Warner have commented on Roman’s awful passing schemes, and their credentials are a bit better than a burger flipper’s. No answer for Cover 0 against Miami was really damning, and it’s pretty funny how people still defend him after that.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
But haven’t we seen enough? We had him in 2019 when we were extremely healthy, and his play calling fell flat in the playoffs. We also had him last season when we were relatively healthy, and he fell flat again in the playoffs. I don’t understand why folks think a healthy group is going to change anything. Steve Smith and Kurt Warner have commented on Roman’s awful passing schemes, and their credentials are a bit better than a burger flipper’s. No answer for Cover 0 against Miami was really damning, and it’s pretty funny how people still defend him after that.
I also don't think its intelligent to be firing coaches, or even evaluating entire teams, based off the playoffs. 2019 our offense bludgeoned the entire league for 16 weeks. You can't win 14 games in this league with a bad OC. Did they shit the bed in the playoffs? Sure. I've got a whole montage of personnel doing stupid things, including Lamar, that pretty much sums up that game. Dropped passes, missed assignments, poor pass protection, inaccurate throws, etc. I'm not sure what Roman's role is in any of that to be honest.

I know that the pass game evolved tremendously in 2021, which was a combination of many things. I would have just liked to have seen what the whole offense looks like when its much more healthy than it was last season.

I also know that I've not yet seen anybody float out a realistic name that they can certainly stand up for and suggest they'll be better. I've seen people suggest we promote internally, which doesn't do much for me, and then I've seen nothing from external candidates. And the reason that hasn't happened is because a) fans aren't good at problem solving, they're only good at problem identifying and b) its kind of hard to really pinpoint anybody who's had success with a QB like Lamar, because he's so unique. I have zero confidence that we could just replace Roman with anybody and Lamar will still somehow be great. That I'm not buying in the slightest.

Or maybe the people who are advocating for people to be fired, while simultaneously admitting that they don't really know what they're talking about and can't actually impact change at all, should perhaps say nothing at all? Why is that so challenging.

There's a lot of irony in the fact that you're OK criticizing Roman and asking for him to be fired, but when the fan gets criticized for having an opinion that, in my opinion, isn't really supportable, its just "hey hey man we're all allowed to have our opinions. We shouldn't be criticized for them".

That ain't how the real world works. The ability to have an opinion is matched, dollar for dollar, by the ability to criticize somebodies opinion. That's how opinions work.

I don't think I have explain my rationale for why the opinion of a successful NFL franchise in regards to a coaches status is exponentially more valuable to me than the opinion of any fan ever, including my own. I think its self-explanatory.

Simple don't respond. Skip over, take a few more days off to observe how "dumb" people are. Your expectations of a message board is unrealistic. You always have smart ass remarks and condescending replies.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I also don't think its intelligent to be firing coaches, or even evaluating entire teams, based off the playoffs. 2019 our offense bludgeoned the entire league for 16 weeks. You can't win 14 games in this league with a bad OC. Did they shit the bed in the playoffs? Sure. I've got a whole montage of personnel doing stupid things, including Lamar, that pretty much sums up that game. Dropped passes, missed assignments, poor pass protection, inaccurate throws, etc. I'm not sure what Roman's role is in any of that to be honest.

I know that the pass game evolved tremendously in 2021, which was a combination of many things. I would have just liked to have seen what the whole offense looks like when its much more healthy than it was last season.

I also know that I've not yet seen anybody float out a realistic name that they can certainly stand up for and suggest they'll be better. I've seen people suggest we promote internally, which doesn't do much for me, and then I've seen nothing from external candidates. And the reason that hasn't happened is because a) fans aren't good at problem solving, they're only good at problem identifying and b) its kind of hard to really pinpoint anybody who's had success with a QB like Lamar, because he's so unique. I have zero confidence that we could just replace Roman with anybody and Lamar will still somehow be great. That I'm not buying in the slightest.
Fair. I'm just tired of it. I think he's holding back Lamar and I would welcome a change. I also don't want the "injury" excuse for Roman when Wink wasn't wasn't so lucky. If Roman is retained, I have no doubt he'll have a hot seat before the season starts.

JAAM

Hall of Famer