• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Jack Campbell was the only true mike in the top part of the draft. Maybe they seen how we did after we got Roquan. Last I knew they needed a true mike plus I don't see why you are saying he is only a 2 down LB. He can cover the pass and he's a good blitzer. With Gibbs I know they wanted to replace Swift and him and Bijan Robinson were rated well above the others and the Falcons took Robinson at 8th. They also got Brian Branch in the 2nd so I don't think I'd be hating on their draft so much. I think they're doing a damn good job building that defense.
I mean positional value is a dangerous thing and I personnally think a top tier LB is absolutely worth any investisment... but if you're trying to get a Roquan type of player in Jack Campbell then Oh my god do I have news...

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean positional value is a dangerous thing and I personnally think a top tier LB is absolutely worth any investisment... but if you're trying to get a Roquan type of player in Jack Campbell then Oh my god do I have news...
Oh I know he might not turn out to be as good but he was a hell of a player at Iowa both against the run and pass. Really too soon to tell but all the other top ILB's were chase guys like Queen for example Simpson our 3rd rd pick. Lions had Anzalone I believe. That's gotta be an upgrade.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
agree 100% with this statement. RS isn't even a Mike.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
That Allegiant Stadium tour is a must do attraction if you are in Vegas. They show you a ton of behind the scenes you don't see. The view from the broadcast booth was incredible.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Who is our mike?
my point is Roquan Smith plays all over. He had 314 snaps at (LILB) and 277 at RILB. His versatility is a huge strength. He wasn't great at taking on blocks with the Bears and thus I don't see him as a true Mike. He's terrific at avoiding blocks head on though.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Jack Campbell was the only true mike in the top part of the draft. Maybe they seen how we did after we got Roquan. Last I knew they needed a true mike plus I don't see why you are saying he is only a 2 down LB. He can cover the pass and he's a good blitzer. With Gibbs I know they wanted to replace Swift and him and Bijan Robinson were rated well above the others and the Falcons took Robinson at 8th. They also got Brian Branch in the 2nd so I don't think I'd be hating on their draft so much. I think they're doing a damn good job building that defense.
Your first mistake is comparing jack Campbell to roquan smith…

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Oh I know he might not turn out to be as good but he was a hell of a player at Iowa both against the run and pass. Really too soon to tell but all the other top ILB's were chase guys like Queen for example Simpson our 3rd rd pick. Lions had Anzalone I believe. That's gotta be an upgrade.
Jack Campbell was nowhere close to a first round talent and I’ll be fucking FLOORED if the lions aren’t supremely disappointed with how this first round pans out 4 years from now

rossihunter2

Staff Member

What makes him a true Mike that’s better than basically any random free agent you can find?

You’re saying it’s reasonable to reach on a Mike LB just because there aren’t any others in the class?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
What makes him a true Mike that’s better than basically any random free agent you can find?

You’re saying it’s reasonable to reach on a Mike LB just because there aren’t any others in the class?
Plus if you’re building your defense that way you’re doing it wrong, in 2023 you want a light and fast box and enough beef in the trenches to allow for that. They’re building an early 2000s defense reaching for a 4th round thumper in the teens

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think he’s demonstrably a worse prospect lol

Had jack campbell as not even a day 2 guy haha - had Trenton as a early-to-mid day 2 guy
Jack Campbell was nowhere close to a first round talent and I’ll be fucking FLOORED if the lions aren’t supremely disappointed with how this first round pans out 4 years from now
Not that it really matters, but pretty sure I saw reports that Campbell was either very high on the board, or going to be the pick, for the Bucs at 19 if Detroit didn't take him at 18. May have even been from both sides. I think Detroit was looking to possibly move back again to target Campbell later in the first, but didn't think he'd be there.

So if nothing else, they'd be able to point and say "look, we weren't the only one's who had him rated here".

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
I was thinking about this kickoff fair catch rule. Does it apply if the ball is fair caught beyond the 25? If so, why not just pop the ball way up so that your team has time to get under it and surround anyone who might fair catch it, say at the opposing 40? If no fair catches it, then they'll either be pummeled as they catch it, or if it hits the ground, it's nothing more than a long onside kick with a solid chance of recovery. I realize that if it does apply beyond the 25, then they'd be quick to close that loophole, but it could be tremendously useful in the meantime.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Not that it really matters, but pretty sure I saw reports that Campbell was either very high on the board, or going to be the pick, for the Bucs at 19 if Detroit didn't take him at 18. May have even been from both sides. I think Detroit was looking to possibly move back again to target Campbell later in the first, but didn't think he'd be there.

So if nothing else, they'd be able to point and say "look, we weren't the only one's who had him rated here".
I can recognize the Mike Mayock pick justification when I see it.