• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
my point is Roquan Smith plays all over. He had 314 snaps at (LILB) and 277 at RILB. His versatility is a huge strength. He wasn't great at taking on blocks with the Bears and thus I don't see him as a true Mike. He's terrific at avoiding blocks head on though.
He replaced Josh Bynes who was our mike and why would it matter if he lined up at RILB or LILB. Where's the strongside? The QB is looking for the mike when he walks to the los. I do understand your position that the classic mike position is changing to where it's more intertwined but those QB's are identifying Roquan as the mike

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Your first mistake is comparing jack Campbell to roquan smith…
Your 1st mistake is not realizing the only comparison I made was the position itself. Not the players.
Jack Campbell was nowhere close to a first round talent and I’ll be fucking FLOORED if the lions aren’t supremely disappointed with how this first round pans out 4 years from now
Your 2nd is not ordering enough My Pillows.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
What makes him a true Mike that’s better than basically any random free agent you can find?

You’re saying it’s reasonable to reach on a Mike LB just because there aren’t any others in the class?
Price and how long you can hold him for. He's also not just a thumper and a 2 down LB as has been said. Most pundits had him rated as a 2nd rdr so yeah it could've been a reach but we are talking about an unanimous All American and the Butkus award winner. What free agents do you think he was comparable too?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Not that it really matters, but pretty sure I saw reports that Campbell was either very high on the board, or going to be the pick, for the Bucs at 19 if Detroit didn't take him at 18. May have even been from both sides. I think Detroit was looking to possibly move back again to target Campbell later in the first, but didn't think he'd be there.

So if nothing else, they'd be able to point and say "look, we weren't the only one's who had him rated here".
You could probably say all of this about the jordyn brooks pick when it happened too

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
You could probably say all of this about the jordyn brooks pick when it happened too
Correct. It's not overly meaningful, other than to show that very rarely do teams look like outliers alone.

I didn't like either of their selections based on who else they could have gotten and how it helps their team, but I would say for certain that both of those guys were going in the 1st round, and I think Gibbs would have gone a lot earlier than people thought.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
one of my least favorite things in the entire NFL is that the superbowl is played on a neutral site. Watching old San Fran Giants highlights and winning in your home stadium with fans who can actually *somewhat* pay to afford is way cooler than having a billionaire viewing session in Flordia every year

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
uh, you can do much better. @OURavensFan
Ha, well Skyline is better than Goldstar for sure but it’s fast food. Im not above it but I don’t love it like some of my friends do, but I would get a 5 way, I usually don’t do the coneys, they’re just loaded with cheese.

Honestly I recommend getting the Joe Burrow steak at Jeff Ruby’s haha, as much shit as I talk about him his steak is solid. A prime NY strip with a Louisiana influenced crawfish sauce, it’s different but very good. I’d hit up the Precinct steakhouse in Hide Park or the new Jeff Ruby’s downtown. Definitely checkout Madtree or Rhinegheist brewery. Come to my tailgate we’ll cook some steaks and sliders and make reckless football throws requiring Hollywood Brown jump ball catches to avoid denting nice cars

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
one of my least favorite things in the entire NFL is that the superbowl is played on a neutral site. Watching old San Fran Giants highlights and winning in your home stadium with fans who can actually *somewhat* pay to afford is way cooler than having a billionaire viewing session in Flordia every year

Ain't gonna lie, beating a team in their house for superbowl is find of lit

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Correct. It's not overly meaningful, other than to show that very rarely do teams look like outliers alone.

I didn't like either of their selections based on who else they could have gotten and how it helps their team, but I would say for certain that both of those guys were going in the 1st round, and I think Gibbs would have gone a lot earlier than people thought.
I wasn’t surprised Gibbs went early, i figured he would, I just did NOT expect the lions to be the team, considering they’re a qb and 1 or 2 impact players at high value positions away from looking really good, I just couldn’t believe they didn’t get a corner at 12, that was insane to me

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wasn’t surprised Gibbs went early, i figured he would, I just did NOT expect the lions to be the team, considering they’re a qb and 1 or 2 impact players at high value positions away from looking really good, I just couldn’t believe they didn’t get a corner at 12, that was insane to me

Their QB isn't bad though

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He replaced Josh Bynes who was our mike and why would it matter if he lined up at RILB or LILB. Where's the strongside? The QB is looking for the mike when he walks to the los. I do understand your position that the classic mike position is changing to where it's more intertwined but those QB's are identifying Roquan as the mike
I'm just saying he's not a traditional Mike is all. He's far and away better.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He isn't a true real linebacker MIKE unless if he can get 10 sacks, 100 TFLs, 5 picks, lockdown coverage, sideline to sideline, block shedder, blitzer, special teams coach, CPA qualified, crab fisherman, law degree
Christ listen to you guys
winner winner chicken dinner

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
He isn't a true real linebacker MIKE unless if he can get 10 sacks, 100 TFLs, 5 picks, lockdown coverage, sideline to sideline, block shedder, blitzer, special teams coach, CPA qualified, crab fisherman, law degree
Christ listen to you guys
Sounds like Roquan. :cool:

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm just saying he's not a traditional Mike is all. He's far and away better.
That's cool. All I know is that the 3-4 yrs before last I was constant about getting a mike and a center and when we finally got both I was super excited. I didn't look at those positions at all during the offseason and then you go and say Roquan is not a mike and I'm like

please no.gif