• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Tank

Hall of Famer

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sounds like at least 8 workers that were doing overnight repairs on the decking went into the water, only 2 rescued. Terrible.

This is going to paralyze the port for a while, no ships in or out, not to mention the traffic issues with 695 severed.
Coulda been worse though. Pilots saved lives. Called in a mayday and they were able to shut down bridge traffic beforehand.

6 deaths or whatever it'll end up being is a lot, obviously, but for this type of accident, that's actually pretty small in the grand scheme of things.
If this happened in the middle of the day or without warning, it would have been exponentially worse.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Coulda been worse though. Pilots saved lives. Called in a mayday and they were able to shut down bridge traffic beforehand.

6 deaths or whatever it'll end up being is a lot, obviously, but for this type of accident, that's actually pretty small in the grand scheme of things.
If this happened in the middle of the day or without warning, it would have been exponentially worse.

That would have been horrific.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler

When there's an accident and deaths as a result it's often hard to see a bright side. In this case, tho, those Balto Co and AA Co Police that got traffic stopped are absolutely heroes. That is outstanding duty right there. Apparently it was only a few minutes between the mayday and the collision. If that's true, that's some crazy fast getting into action and getting shit done. Remarkable and Bravo!

Tank

Hall of Famer
1711492032032.png

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
That bridge was my favorite bridge. Used to be amazed by Bethlehem Steel Sparrows Point plant as a kid going over it. I did a lot of partying at Fort Armstead Park looking up at the amazing site of that bridge. I am numb inside today.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
When there's an accident and deaths as a result it's often hard to see a bright side. In this case, tho, those Balto Co and AA Co Police that got traffic stopped are absolutely heroes. That is outstanding duty right there. Apparently it was only a few minutes between the mayday and the collision. If that's true, that's some crazy fast getting into action and getting shit done. Remarkable and Bravo!
That was 914 post on the city side. When I worked the Southern District, it was extremely rare to ever make it down that far because we were just too busy and it takes a while getting from Brooklyn and Fairfield down there. Understandable that AA county could respond faster.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
That bridge was my favorite bridge. Used to be amazed by Bethlehem Steel Sparrows Point plant as a kid going over it. I did a lot of partying at Fort Armstead Park looking up at the amazing site of that bridge. I am numb inside today.
It was being built when I was a young kid. I turned 8 in August of 77. I remember visiting Fort McHenry on a couple weekends and seeing the construction. My dad was a civil engineer and his company RKK had work in it. I don't know to what extent, but I remember him talking about it when we'd happen to go over it. What I never realized is just how BIG it was. All that steel piled up is taller than the ship. It has to be over 15 stories tall just in the girders that supported the road - not to mention its height over the water was greater than 150ft already. Sad day and just the beginning of big adjustments.

Simba

Staff Member
Just now catching up on this and oh my god that’s great. What makes it even better to me is this dude came from UCLA which is one of the better academic schools. Clearly cut some corners for him there lol