• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

NFL Combine

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Why do I get the feeling that our #28 choice will be on offense, more particularly the BPA. It could be RB, OL or WR the top player on our board at the time we pick.

would be surprised if it was RB given the way this front office uses analytics but would not be surprised at all about a WR or IOL (especially with how high Ruiz, Jefferson and Mims are on my board

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just for some reference I think this is an interesting short thread:

i think possibly the timers are more accurate (and therefore less generous than in previous years), my guess though is that the time the drills happened really impacted the times - it's the last drills they do and they were doing it at stupid o'clock in the evening when historically it would be happening around lunchtime

would disregard normally but the whole draft class across all positions was historically bad in the agility drills - potentially worth completely disregarding and waiting for pro-day numbers

i like the combine being in primetime but if its going to have a negative effect on normalized data (i.e. the scores we get are suddenly incompatible with previous combines) then there's no point - i wonder if that's why so many prospects pulled out of most of the drills (lots of guys not going on the field/lots of guys deciding to only do the workout portion)

if they are going to stick with this and we can work out this is the long-term impact they might as well change the drills to more useful measures and start again with creating datasets for long-term comparison...

not sure that's what the NFL want to do though

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think what's throwing everything into disarray in this draft process more than anything with the lack of pro-days is the fact that the combine data is completely untrustworthy this year and can be basically thrown out - it means that there's no relative data comparisons available between prospects and certainly not between years either and it means the analytics are harder to plug in without trustworthy data

so partly i wonder if that's why the GMs wanted the draft delayed

either way tape will be absolutely king for the first time in years with the draft