• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

NFL Combine

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I had a lot of concern from the start, the neck and shoulder wraps, and the angles he takes so often have you like wtf, plus he’s strictly downhill, he’s completely lost in coverage. I bit on the hype for a time but yeah I fell back off quick.

scares me shitless because I really worry that we take him. When we have guys mocked to us for months straight or a lot of people have a hot take that they stick with, it always feels like that’s who we take, first it was jimmy and Torrey, then it was upshaw, then it was mosley, then Humphrey, then Lamar and Zeus, not that they’re bad, only one turned out poorly, but they were all getting similar treatments that Murray is getting with us right now, and it scares me lol

I’m also terrified that we fuck around and take shenault for no reason at all.

tbf im not seeing him mocked here very much in recent mocks albeit im looking at the consensus mock and he still seems to be mocked to us in 25% of mocks and im surprised by how many were in the last week but a lot of them are coming from random other team sites like the Bengals and Falcons sites

im not a big fan of him coming downhill tbh - i like his coverage upside and his sideline to sideline range but not much else honestly - he's more at risk of falling out of my top 5 LBs than he is moving up

Murray and/or Shenault would be the ones i'd really not understand - i think with the way shenault tested there's no way we take him in the 1st and i look at the tape and know how well this team has historically scouted LBs and think there's no way Murray's their guy

i feel pretty confident im right

i feel like the last couple of years ive had a pretty good read on who we like - loved Hollywood for us, Jaylon Ferguson also, pounded the table for Justice Hill on day 3 and also Antoine Wesley (who we brought in as a udfa) - i mean i literally had all 4 of those guys in the pound the table thread lol

i just dont feel like what im seeing on film from murray and shenault are fits with what i think we're looking for - certainly not for where they're projected

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
tbf im not seeing him mocked here very much in recent mocks albeit im looking at the consensus mock and he still seems to be mocked to us in 25% of mocks and im surprised by how many were in the last week but a lot of them are coming from random other team sites like the Bengals and Falcons sites

im not a big fan of him coming downhill tbh - i like his coverage upside and his sideline to sideline range but not much else honestly - he's more at risk of falling out of my top 5 LBs than he is moving up

Murray and/or Shenault would be the ones i'd really not understand - i think with the way shenault tested there's no way we take him in the 1st and i look at the tape and know how well this team has historically scouted LBs and think there's no way Murray's their guy

i feel pretty confident im right

i feel like the last couple of years ive had a pretty good read on who we like - loved Hollywood for us, Jaylon Ferguson also, pounded the table for Justice Hill on day 3 and also Antoine Wesley (who we brought in as a udfa) - i mean i literally had all 4 of those guys in the pound the table thread lol

i just dont feel like what im seeing on film from murray and shenault are fits with what i think we're looking for - certainly not for where they're projected
By downhill I meant when the play is in front of him, not necessarily stacking and shedding and filling gaps and what not, wrong term I guess. Like I’ve said before I love his range going East and west and he really closes in like a machine, but other than that he’s trash, and even his sideline to sideline really is questionable at times because he’s taken some inexcusable angles

rossihunter2

Staff Member
By downhill I meant when the play is in front of him, not necessarily stacking and shedding and filling gaps and what not, wrong term I guess. Like I’ve said before I love his range going East and west and he really closes in like a machine, but other than that he’s trash, and even his sideline to sideline really is questionable at times because he’s taken some inexcusable angles

@Edgar pointed out on his 2nd Murray video and ive seen it from other analysts that Murray is a liability in goal-to-go situations (but does it all over the field too) just consistently over-running gaps and then not recovering or tackling with any strength - but also ive started to see him just go screaming downhill on some zone-read plays where i just dont know what he's looking at

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Some OL who've stood out today in a non-statistical way who are interesting:

Darryl Williams has looked smooth for his size and he's got a great anchor on tape
Shane Lemieux has put to bed any issues (that i didnt really see on film) with his movement skills - looked really good with his feet
Cesar Ruiz looks awesome - put on a show as did Tristan Wirfs

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Some OL who've stood out today in a non-statistical way who are interesting:

Darryl Williams has looked smooth for his size and he's got a great anchor on tape
Shane Lemieux has put to bed any issues (that i didnt really see on film) with his movement skills - looked really good with his feet
Cesar Ruiz looks awesome - put on a show as did Tristan Wirfs
Ruiz should be a very firm option for us at 28 but I worry decosta is sold on mekari. We are way too complacent with the OL and have been for a very long time.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ruiz should be a very firm option for us at 28 but I worry decosta is sold on mekari. We are way too complacent with the OL and have been for a very long time.

from the way Hortiz talked about Mekari i didnt get the impression that we were happy with Mekari - we thought he was draftable and we liked and still like him but I think while we're comfortable with him as a backup we're not going to be happy settling with him as the starter if that's how it ends up happening

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Johnathon Taylor just ran a 4.41u. Definitely faster than I thought
Jonathan Taylor had stellar breakaway speed on film.

I’ve maintained from day one he’s the best back in the class and yeah the mileage is a concern and all but for the duration of his rookie deal he’s gonna be a perennial pro bowler and I predict the best back out of Wisconsin

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Jonathan Taylor had stellar breakaway speed on film.

I’ve maintained from day one he’s the best back in the class and yeah the mileage is a concern and all but for the duration of his rookie deal he’s gonna be a perennial pro bowler and I predict the best back out of Wisconsin

fumbles also a problem for him - and he's not an accomplished guy on 3rd down - not that he cant learn but the 3 guys i have ahead of him are all better backs on 3rd down

i love all 5 of the top guys in this class

Swift
Edwards-Helaire
Akers
Jo. Taylor
Dobbins

they are all phenomenal prospects

Akers i think is my favourite prospect and it's tight between taylor and edwards-helaire for favourite film but its fun watching all 5 tbh

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
fumbles also a problem for him - and he's not an accomplished guy on 3rd down - not that he cant learn but the 3 guys i have ahead of him are all better backs on 3rd down

i love all 5 of the top guys in this class

Swift
Edwards-Helaire
Akers
Jo. Taylor
Dobbins

they are all phenomenal prospects

Akers i think is my favourite prospect and it's tight between taylor and edwards-helaire for favourite film but its fun watching all 5 tbh
I separate workhorses and 3rd down backs, if a workhorse has a 3rd down skill set it just bumps him up. I think Taylor is great enough as a workhorse that I just don’t bump him down for 3rd down traits.

that said, I also think zack moss and cam Akers are future stars, I love Edwards helaire but he doesn’t strike me as an every down back, I love watching swift put the jukes on fools, dobbins I haven’t gotten much into, he bores me, he’s just super fundamental and steady and I hate watching him so I have no grade on him lol.

of the big 5 in this class I think at least 2 are gonna be superstars and I don’t think one of them will be less than a very good starter

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I separate workhorses and 3rd down backs, if a workhorse has a 3rd down skill set it just bumps him up. I think Taylor is great enough as a workhorse that I just don’t bump him down for 3rd down traits.

that said, I also think zack moss and cam Akers are future stars, I love Edwards helaire but he doesn’t strike me as an every down back, I love watching swift put the jukes on fools, dobbins I haven’t gotten much into, he bores me, he’s just super fundamental and steady and I hate watching him so I have no grade on him lol.

of the big 5 in this class I think at least 2 are gonna be superstars and I don’t think one of them will be less than a very good starter

The only question for me personally is how high do i put Akers - i have him at 3 right now but there's a world where he ends up number 1 on my RB rankings - he just did so much great stuff with maybe the worst college OL ive ever seen - what he does after contact, the way he reads blocks and angles, the way he sells routes in the passing game, the pure effort as a pass blocker - if i had to pound the table for us to grab a RB it would be for akers

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It feels like we're literally getting only 2 minutes of combine between ad breaks - like we're cutting off most of the drills it feels like and then going to ad break after we do the 2nd half of a drill...

how do they expect to keep viewers engaged for a primetime show if literally the majority of the coverage is commercials?

mark ingram and MJD are combine gold too

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The only question for me personally is how high do i put Akers - i have him at 3 right now but there's a world where he ends up number 1 on my RB rankings - he just did so much great stuff with maybe the worst college OL ive ever seen - what he does after contact, the way he reads blocks and angles, the way he sells routes in the passing game, the pure effort as a pass blocker - if i had to pound the table for us to grab a RB it would be for akers
I’m torn between Akers and moss, moss was a true 3 down workhorse and had big play ability, fucking guy was impossible to tackle and efficient.

Taylor I know is likely top half of round 2 which is why I can’t put him in that conversation, not a guy who’s gonna end up here

rossihunter2

Staff Member
idk why JK Dobbins isnt doing the drills or anything but if he was healthy he's made a mistake - the other 4 guys have put on a show especially in the receiving drills and are leaving any thoughts of him in the dust - even Taylor has looked good catching the football

but akers, swift and CEH have been great at actual route running - these are going to be guys who can run routes out of the backfield but also flex out into the slot and run different kinds of routes to create mismatches