• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

NFL Combine

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i mean tbf i extrapolated for the whole matt patricia thing but it does seem to fit our "type" - i think if a guy like chaisson was there we'd take him but we've never expected guys with that sort of elite speed to ever fall to our pick so with those non-elite speed rushers we're looking at guys who can show an ability to play through contact in some way - or at least the ability to manipulate and operate despite contact - not necessarily that we're looking for guys who are strong vs fast but everyone we draft has to show a certain amount of functional strength no matter what style of rusher they are - it does suggest to me though that they feel pretty confident that a guy with chaisson's athletic talent will be long gone before we pick

but you're right that it probably means ive been too low on epenesa, baun might still be fine because of how much we value versatility and he's great and natural in coverage but we maybe arent looking at him as a pass rusher, khalid kareem is probably the best example of this - terrell lewis would fit this prototype well with his great length in his arms, i wouldnt say gallimore would drop from where i had him because he does show the ability to play through contact early in the down but its inconsistent

but i definitely feel justified in my thoughts about greenard, madubuike, kareem etc.

willikes is an interesting one - i can see how those comments would lift him up the board and yet i still dont really see it - i really must go back to the 2018 film

all in all its a really interesting interview and i recommend listening to it (it's less than an hour)
Greenard was one I was forgetting, I knew I had more in mind but couldn’t remember the names lol. And yeah if we’re talking about interior rushers of That profile, madubuike and Davidson are definitely the guys that jump out

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Draft Notes from Eric Decosta's presser - as usual he was pretty ambiguous and did a lot of saying things without saying anything

• With the offence we have he anticipates us having leads which makes pass rushers and the pass rush in general pretty important
  • Feel strongly about continuing to add playmakers around Lamar - that process started last year but will continue to be a focus this year
  • They feel pretty set at rb albeit if there’s a chance to grab an elite guy they will but not looking explicitly to add to the stable
  • Willie Snead obviously valuable as a receiver but seems to be maybe a leader in that group - edc mentioned him with regard to Hollywood’s development to year 2
  • Year 2 is critical for wide receivers (was response to Boykin question but relates to Hollywood also)
  • We’ll be looking for pass rushers - not necessarily worried about what position they play... whether they’re smaller DEs who we convert to OLB, whether they’re guys who play 5tech for us or whether it’s 3techs who can rush from defensive tackle
  • Says he sees pass rushers available in every round
  • Edc coming out and already talking about joe burrow as if he’s in our division already lol
  • Discussions have taken place with both judon and jimmy - franchise tag is still a consideration with judon - gets the sense that jimmy wants to see what his value will be on the open market
  • Has had extension talks with both Ronnie and Marlon already
  • No decision yet on Brandon Carr
to me it seems like we're definitely in the market in the draft for specifically 2 things - pass rush (from any position) and playmakers at offensive skill positions (but preferably wide receiver) - and in playmakers we clearly as an organisation adhere to the ideology of separation > catch radius/contested catches - and while its great if that guy is speedy we dont really care how they separate

EDC also said they have ~200 players on their board. I know you've put in a lot of work - how many do you have on your board?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Greenard was one I was forgetting, I knew I had more in mind but couldn’t remember the names lol. And yeah if we’re talking about interior rushers of That profile, madubuike and Davidson are definitely the guys that jump out

to be fair most of the DL are pretty good at playing and rushing through contact - madubuike and davidson but also blacklock's ability to use his lateral ability to get himself half the man and then the flexibility to bend is great, gallimore is so good with his hands early (but does have a tendency to get stonewalled if he doesnt win straight away)

the guy on the DL this probably hurts the most is jordan elliott

but at edge it would bode well for greenard, epenesa, kareem, terrell lewis, darrell taylor, bradlee anae

tbh post-hazing im finding any reason possible to drop YGM down my board

rossihunter2

Staff Member
EDC also said they have ~200 players on their board. I know you've put in a lot of work - how many do you have on your board?

hard to say right now because my board includes undrafted grades

but ive got 245 prospects on my board but that includes 40 guys ive still not got grades on because i havent watched any tape yet and a bunch of undrafted guys

in the end my guess is ill be around 200 as well - EDC said the ravens are under 200 but not far off it - i think my grading has probably been a bit more forgiving than the ravens

the vast majority of the players i still have to watch tape on are DBs and TEs which is why i havent got around to them yet

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Best drills for predicting success per todd mcshay’s 10 year study for edge rushers: 3 cone, arm length, vertical jump - best correlation to nfl success according to his study
Interesting I have seen that: 40, 3 cone, shuttle and vertical jump correlate the most with future success.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So here's my list of guys right now who i'll actually be interested (grading-wise) in their 40 time - most of them are receivers...

WRs

Brandon Aiyuk
Justin Jefferson
Tee Higgins
Denzel Mims
Tyler Johnson
Van Jefferson
Gabriel Davis
Antonio Gandy-Golden
Bryan Edwards (now not running because of broken foot)
Michael Pittman Jr
KJ Hill
Kalija Lipscomb
Chase Claypool
Isaiah Hodgins
Collin Johnson
Jauan Jennings
Austin Mack

- for most of these guys im not expecting the 40 time to change anything unless they run something majorly different to what i expect - but for some of them it might be the difference between being drafted and undrafted grade-wise

RB

Zack Moss

CB

Trevon Diggs
Kristian Fulton
Stanford Samuels

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Got the day off so I'll be able to watch. Pokemon day on top of that. Pokemon on switch and combine on tv. Gonna be a good day

rossihunter2

Staff Member
well not that we need a TE but Albert Okwuegbunam just ran a 4.49 (and backed it up with a 4.50) at 250+ lbs - was supposed to be fast TE but not that fast

cole kmet running a 4.65 at 260+ is super impressive also

Stephen Sullivan is interesting in that he's flip-flopped between receiver and TE his whole time at LSU - looks like a TE to me but ran a 4.63 which is quick at that level - but he's not got a lot of production

rossihunter2

Staff Member
well that's the first nice wrinkle to the drills - TE drive blocking drill with the sleds - you can tell which of these guys didn't do any in-line blocking in college

literally as the drill started they took the extra weight off the sleds because some of these guys would have no chance - so many guys trying to lift the sled rather than maintain leverage

it's really revealing about the technique these guys are being taught (or not taught) by their colleges - just being treated like big WRs most of the time

no wonder so many of these guys become better blockers when they get to the NFL - i mean look at mark andrews - he's now a good blocker because he put the work in but clearly had zero technique or experience at it in college

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
well that's the first nice wrinkle to the drills - TE drive blocking drill with the sleds - you can tell which of these guys didn't do any in-line blocking in college

literally as the drill started they took the extra weight off the sleds because some of these guys would have no chance - so many guys trying to lift the sled rather than maintain leverage

it's really revealing about the technique these guys are being taught (or not taught) by their colleges - just being treated like big WRs most of the time

no wonder so many of these guys become better blockers when they get to the NFL - i mean look at mark andrews - he's now a good blocker because he put the work in but clearly had zero technique or experience at it in college
I honestly wouldn't mind finding a good blocking TE late in the draft or udfa and stick him on our practice squad. Our offense needs someone else in case anything happens to Boyle or Ricard. Those guys are extremely underrated in what they do opening holes in the running game, we have no one else who can fill in their role should anything happen

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I honestly wouldn't mind finding a good blocking TE late in the draft or udfa and stick him on our practice squad. Our offense needs someone else in case anything happens to Boyle or Ricard. Those guys are extremely underrated in what they do opening holes in the running game, we have no one else who can fill in their role should anything happen

to me it looks like from this combine that the good blocking TEs arent going to be drafted lol