• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Thomas performed at a B- level last year.

With the money we paid him it should have been an A or A- .

I don’t think anyone here would rate his performance as an A last year.

Simba

Staff Member
No surprise, but sounds like the pattern of behavior got a lot worse this offseason. In Zrebiec's replies, there's mention of blowing off meetings, not listening to coaches, other confrontations with teammates, etc. Even mentions that the more he hears, the more he understands just how bad it had gotten and why it made it to this point.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean we didnt not use him to his strengths - we just also asked him to use his instincts in other aspects of the game and tbf he did pretty well in his first year in that sort of role - but clearly he wasnt up to the classroom stuff (and you can see that in the deshon elliott play ive just gifed - literally being told by 3 different safeties what to do and he tells them no and gets it wrong)
thanks for the gif! Pretty telling. He was good when he freelanced, but he wasn't good around the Los (didn't feel comfortable ). Seattle's cover 3 scheme was a perfect fit

rossihunter2

Staff Member
No surprise, but sounds like the pattern of behavior got a lot worse this offseason. In Zrebiec's replies, there's mention of blowing off meetings, not listening to coaches, other confrontations with teammates, etc. Even mentions that the more he hears, the more he understands just how bad it had gotten and why it made it to this point.

well you know its bad when the entire team doesnt want you back including the veteran leadership - and the fact that management and coaches and front office are all aligned on the idea that he cant be here then you know that something was going very wrong

and credit where credit's due (and i feel dirty just saying it) - but JLC had this nailed when the incident happened

it'll be interesting watching the 2019 season with a finetooth comb given the stuff we now know about meetings etc. but will be telling what the communication looked like with earl in 2019 because ive already just accidentally found one clip of him freelancing and getting it wrong while anthony levine with 1000 career snaps at this point, chuck clark (in his first start) and deshon elliott (who's only played 70 defensive snaps in his career) got it right and the guy with 0 starts actually covered for his misread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
thanks for the gif! Pretty telling. He was good when he freelanced, but he wasn't good around the Los (didn't feel comfortable ). Seattle's cover 3 scheme was a perfect fit

im gonna go back and watch as much of that bengals game in week 6 as i can - i was so excited at the time about deshon after that game and was heartbroken to find out he was done for the year

might try and get together a load of clips from that game too later today - will wait til after practice first though i think

rossihunter2

Staff Member
what's also clear from the leaked stuff (including JLC's initial report) is that the rest of the DB group and the leadership council wanted deshon elliott to get more snaps even before this happened so they clearly trust him

but whatever happens this has left a hole in that 3 safety look unless geno stone is coming along better than you could expect from a rookie

brandon carr might be the guy to bring back in but not sure who else

jimmy smith will take some of those snaps (as he probably would have anyway) as a matchup problem in dime packages as the 4th CB and anthony levine will probably take some of those snaps too but not the entirety i reckon - not if we want chuck clark to be able to play as close to the LoS as we liked him last year

Simba

Staff Member
what's also clear from the leaked stuff (including JLC's initial report) is that the rest of the DB group and the leadership council wanted deshon elliott to get more snaps even before this happened so they clearly trust him

but whatever happens this has left a hole in that 3 safety look unless geno stone is coming along better than you could expect from a rookie

brandon carr might be the guy to bring back in but not sure who else

jimmy smith will take some of those snaps (as he probably would have anyway) as a matchup problem in dime packages as the 4th CB and anthony levine will probably take some of those snaps too but not the entirety i reckon - not if we want chuck clark to be able to play as close to the LoS as we liked him last year

Brandon Carr makes a lot of sense at this point. Played that hybrid CB/S role for us last year and can be your depth option at both. Let Elliott run with the job, but know you have a trusty veteran back there as well.

Just have to wonder if he's interested in continuing his career.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Brandon Carr makes a lot of sense at this point. Played that hybrid CB/S role for us last year and can be your depth option at both. Let Elliott run with the job, but know you have a trusty veteran back there as well.

Just have to wonder if he's interested in continuing his career.

no sign that he seemingly wants to retire but he could do - but it also helps as someone being added that he has incredible familiarity with the defence already so wouldnt be far behind the 8-ball

either way i'd say at the moment there's 10 dbs making this roster and to me that feels at least 1 light
could be that it allows nigel warrior a shot at making it via special teams or terrell bonds finally gets a chance to stick but hard to justify that vs the competition at other positions especially with john daka supposedly doing well especially on special teams

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Most important question is... Will Marlon get his number back?!?!?!?

He probably instigated this fight. Goddam mastermind.

Simba

Staff Member
no sign that he seemingly wants to retire but he could do - but it also helps as someone being added that he has incredible familiarity with the defence already so wouldnt be far behind the 8-ball

Exactly. Making a move like that allows you to get Elliott his run if the trust among coaches and teammates is as real as it sounds, and provides a solid backup option should he not seize that opportunity. You need depth there anyways at this point.

You really only have 9 locks in the secondary now - Humphrey, Peters, Young, Smith, Averett at CB; Clark, Elliott, Levine, and Stone at S

The rest of the options on the roster is a pure ST option (Richards) and a group of UDFA types (Bonds, Nurse, Dorsey, Warrior). Need to add someone there.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Exactly. Making a move like that allows you to get Elliott his run if the trust among coaches and teammates is as real as it sounds, and provides a solid backup option should he not seize that opportunity. You need depth there anyways at this point.

You really only have 9 locks in the secondary now - Humphrey, Peters, Young, Smith, Averett at CB; Clark, Elliott, Levine, and Stone at S

The rest of the options on the roster is a pure ST option (Richards) and a group of UDFA types (Bonds, Nurse, Dorsey, Warrior). Need to add someone there.

the only difference i have is that i think richards is basically a lock too

but the other benefit of carr is that while he basically plays a 3rd safety role he also provides emergency cover at CB if necessary too

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Huge mistake on our part. You’re telling me Harbaugh couldn’t deal with ET when he’s dealt with so many personalities during his coaching tenure in Baltimore? Earl was quietly dominant as the season went on. I don’t trust Elliot to even last a game without getting hurt. Only way they can salvage this is trading him instead of cutting.

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Huge mistake on our part. You’re telling me Harbaugh couldn’t deal with ET when he’s dealt with so many personalities during his coaching tenure in Baltimore? Earl was quietly dominant as the season went on. I don’t trust Elliot to even last a game without getting hurt. Only way they can salvage this is trading him instead of cutting.

what are you smoking - it's the players that wanted him out too... how on earth are they gonna be able to play as a team if the 2 safeties cant even trust each other

this isnt anything to do with harbs at all - this is on earl not meeting the standards of the ravens organisation and the players holding him to account was the catalyst for him finally being let go

JAAM

Hall of Famer
what are you smoking - it's the players that wanted him out too... how on earth are they gonna be able to play as a team if the 2 safeties cant even trust each other

this isnt anything to do with harbs at all - this is on earl not meeting the standards of the ravens organisation and the players holding him to account was the catalyst for him finally being let go
I’d like to know what players said this. I can’t believe everything I read from the media. Regardless, he’s just been released

Reactions: cdp