• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

Simba

Staff Member
and although he's not a free agent, I could see us ink Humphrey to a long term deal.

Agreed. You don't have to but with Tre White's deal, it should be much easier to get done now.

Still going to be taking care of our own but we're at least in a good spot heading into 2021. 2022 and beyond will be rough, so need to start prepping for that.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Agreed. You don't have to but with Tre White's deal, it should be much easier to get done now.

Still going to be taking care of our own but we're at least in a good spot heading into 2021. 2022 and beyond will be rough, so need to start prepping for that.
we absolutely need to start prepping for 2022 and beyond but believe it will be easier having LJ at the helm, since he makes everyone better around him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2021 is weird free agent year for us. Stanley is really the only big name that I expect to get done. Judon is the other but I don't see it.

Bowser could play his way into a decent contract, whether that's here or somewhere else.

Skura should also do decently if he regains strength. It wouldn't shock me if we just went with Mekari though.

Otherwise, it's a bunch of older vets coming off of 1 year deals - Smith, McPhee, Snead, Wolfe, Griffin

I could see us re-signing Wolfe if he does well this year, but I think they'd lean toward moving on from the rest of those types.

we'll probably want to get ahead of the game though on the 2018 class and also marlon humphrey - the extensions this offseason have set the market at QB, TE and CB and im assuming we'd want to get those deals done before the next guy resets the market (albeit that's unlikely to happen at QB unless Dak gets a massive deal)

rossihunter2

Staff Member

it'll be different - but we'll kind of have flip-flopped the spending from defence to offence by that point (apart from the dbs) and then i expect we'll be drafting heavily on defence - at that stage im assuming we wont still be paying brandon williams and calais campbell etc.

if we get the offensive guys that we want on long-term deals the next couple of offseasons it means we really dont have to put in that many resources on that side of the ball in terms of draft capital etc.

obviously we pick BPA but that always takes into account need

Simba

Staff Member
we'll probably want to get ahead of the game though on the 2018 class and also marlon humphrey - the extensions this offseason have set the market at QB, TE and CB and im assuming we'd want to get those deals done before the next guy resets the market (albeit that's unlikely to happen at QB unless Dak gets a massive deal)

This is what I was kind of getting at. 2021 won't be too bad but 2022 will be, so it provides the opportunity to start nailing them down now. BUT if you can't come to agreements with some of the 2022 guys, that does give us the flexibility add some short-term contracts much like Wolfe and Campbell this year. Take care of our own but we can still find ways to add quality. It's likely going to be older vets as opposed to big money deal to younger guys, but I think we're in a good position regardless.

Judon in particular will be telling, because if we don't lock him up (and I don't think we will) then we really have to make a concerted effort both in FA and the draft to improve there. Might be the veterans like the above in FA, and a real effort to get someone in the draft.