• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Joe Flacco

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Not pointless at all considering your question.

If the priority was to win the playoff game obviously you put Joe in, that was a complete no brainer. But they set a course with LJ and stuck with it and the priority was just that, stay the course. I fully understand why, but my original point was since they knew they weren’t going to play him they should have just made Joe inactive and had Rob be the backup. Having Joe sit there watching the freakishly poor play and listening to many in the stadium yelling for him to come in was IMO just a poor and classless choice.
How is / was Joe obvious choice when this was the 4th season running he was NOT winning games? If it was so obvious, he would have been back in a lineup once he got healthy.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
How is / was Joe obvious choice when this was the 4th season running he was NOT winning games? If it was so obvious, he would have been back in a lineup once he got healthy.

Because Lamar looked beyond awful. The Chargers had clearly figured out the gimmick offense the Ravens had run and there was not really anything Lamar could do and he looked like a WR trying to play QB that game.

How do I know Joe could do better? Because no one this decade played worse in playoffs. I believe Joe could complete 1 pass and instantly that is exponentially better.

The gimmick was solved but the Ravens are betting on future and were willing to give up a lomg shot at a SB to achieve it.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Because Lamar looked beyond awful. The Chargers had clearly figured out the gimmick offense the Ravens had run and there was not really anything Lamar could do and he looked like a WR trying to play QB that game.

How do I know Joe could do better? Because no one this decade played worse in playoffs. I believe Joe could complete 1 pass and instantly that is exponentially better.

The gimmick was solved but the Ravens are betting on future and were willing to give up a lomg shot at a SB to achieve it.
It was the awful O line play and play calling. You know - stuff often used to excuse Joe.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
people ignore the fact that jackson also rallied back to get us in a position to win with the ball and some time left until the line collapsed again and he got strip sacked and that even during the comeback attempt he was running for his life behind that OL
Yep and it starting happening when they took play calling off fucking Marty and let him play as he sees it. It wasn't ideal, there was luck involved but hey, if you don't try.....

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
It was the awful O line play and play calling. You know - stuff often used to excuse Joe.

I'm going to assume you accept that excuse for Flacco given that you are using it for Lamar.

Also the reason the offense was so simplistic and easy to solve was because of Lamar not in spite of him. I'm not bashing him for it. He is slightly below average with learning an offense otherwise the playbook would've opened up.

The playbook at the end was basically "run around in the backfield about 2 seconds too long, hope defense breaks down, and throw it deep" and thanks to that got them garbage time score one. The defense carried the day got the ball back and a sick run after catch got number 2 (nice throw though on both those but it doesn't excuse 3 quarters of play that helped me understand what Jacksonville has dealt with for 5 years).

At the end of the day, the OLine sucked. Marty for all his faults also knew that which is why relying on them to be useful would end the exact same way it did in KC.

I think Lamar will be very good, but right now he (very) generously might be in mid to late 30s as far as ranking pure passing among QBs. Benefit of being a young rookie though is that he can fix his technique if he works at it.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'm going to assume you accept that excuse for Flacco given that you are using it for Lamar.

Also the reason the offense was so simplistic and easy to solve was because of Lamar not in spite of him. I'm not bashing him for it. He is slightly below average with learning an offense otherwise the playbook would've opened up.

The playbook at the end was basically "run around in the backfield about 2 seconds too long, hope defense breaks down, and throw it deep" and thanks to that got them garbage time score one. The defense carried the day got the ball back and a sick run after catch got number 2 (nice throw though on both those but it doesn't excuse 3 quarters of play that helped me understand what Jacksonville has dealt with for 5 years).

At the end of the day, the OLine sucked. Marty for all his faults also knew that which is why relying on them to be useful would end the exact same way it did in KC.

I think Lamar will be very good, but right now he (very) generously might be in mid to late 30s as far as ranking pure passing among QBs. Benefit of being a young rookie though is that he can fix his technique if he works at it.
Of course, I'm accepting it and I'm not absolving Jackson off his share of crap we've seen vs Chargers.

I'm just pissed at the amount of vile reaction at the rookie and calls for Joe to replace him, like he was going to win as if by magic, even though he didn't do pretty much anything for 3 and a half years prior to that game.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Absolutely ridiculous that some members are throwing Jackson to the wolves in his rookie year, a year where he didn't even prepare with the #1st to play and was thrown into the fire. Not only that, he was the reason the running game was doing well and the main reason the defense stayed fresh so they could be the #1 defense in the league.

Get a rest everyone and lets support our QB AND GIVE HIM A CHANCE.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Absolutely ridiculous that some members are throwing Jackson to the wolves in his rookie year, a year where he didn't even prepare with the #1st to play and was thrown into the fire. Not only that, he was the reason the running game was doing well and the main reason the defense stayed fresh so they could be the #1 defense in the league.

“Throwing Jackson to the wolves......”. I think I missed those posts. Do you have a link?

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

There is nothing "gimmicky" about the read option. Nothing! It's a bonafide and legitimate offensive system. One that our opponents (including the Chargers in our first meeting with them) couldn't figure out to save their lives. It caught all of our opponents off guard for a few weeks. Just call it what it was the Chargers defensive personnel came up with a wonderful scheme to swap out their big and slower LB's for smaller and faster Safeties. Awesome move! But to call the read option a "gimmick" just because Lamar played like trash and a rookie (Something that Joe has repeatedly done for nearly 11 seasons now) is off the rails IMO. :lol:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

The read option and power scheme and traps we were running are normal plays around the league. Not to take anything away from the Chargers, but we beat ourselves in that game. All the fumbles and horrid play calling from Marty is what lost that game. Did Lamar play bad, no question, but the offensive line had an absolutely horrid game that day and Lamar still got us within a score of winning it.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
The read option and rpos weren't the problem. Other teams use them all the time without an issue.

It was the damn oline and Brett Kollman said it perfectly. Yes, Lamar had his fumbles, but the damn system we were doing with the line was a fucking gimmick because we had to scheme around absolute fucking trash in Skura and Hurst. We were not beating teams off the ball in the trenches, and that was the main issue. Because of this, teams were really easily able to prepare for us.

Two things really need to happen for us next year to make the playoffs.

1. Lamar needs to develop
2. FIX THE DAMN LINE AND GET US A REAL C OR LG.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The read option and rpos weren't the problem. Other teams use them all the time without an issue.

It was the damn oline and Brett Kollman said it perfectly. Yes, Lamar had his fumbles, but the damn system we were doing with the line was a fucking gimmick because we had to scheme around absolute fucking trash in Skura and Hurst. We were not beating teams off the ball in the trenches, and that was the main issue. Because of this, teams were really easily able to prepare for us.

Two things really need to happen for us next year to make the playoffs.

1. Lamar needs to develop
2. FIX THE DAMN LINE AND GET US A REAL C OR LG.
we weren't even running many rpos the last month of the season. Couldn't have been that easy to prepare for us last season. We did finish the season with 6 wins.

O

OriolesMagicPlease

This is what I truly don't understand. I don't put that playoff loss on Lamar at all. That has nothing to do with the fact that they dressed Joe for no reason. Nothing was working in the first half at all. It was absolutely horrible. And of course Joe could have sucked, but you just don't know. Dressing Joe was a jerk move. I support Lamar as much as anyone and I felt sorry for him.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
This is what I truly don't understand. I don't put that playoff loss on Lamar at all. That has nothing to do with the fact that they dressed Joe for no reason. Nothing was working in the first half at all. It was absolutely horrible. And of course Joe could have sucked, but you just don't know. Dressing Joe was a jerk move. I support Lamar as much as anyone and I felt sorry for him.
For about $20mil (arguably not earned) just fucking suit up and shut up. Leave the sentiment out the door.