• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Joe Flacco

Ok lets say we build an elite ground game, offensive line and recieving corps, could we get comparable results from any cheap gunslinger out there? At this point in Joes career he is playing like Jay Cutler.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
It pains me seeing these younger QB’s making checks at the line of scrimmage and telling teammates where to line up. Does Flacco even do this in his 10th year? Also, next QB we get, I hope he’s a dual threat. Flacco looks like a tree in the pocket.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
It doesn't matter much winning in the trenches if no one can get open, I don't think we lost the game primarily because of our OL, the receiver group takes most of the blame to me. At least in this sense, we ran the football, what did we do in terms of receiving? I really cannot agree with us losing primarily because of turnovers and trenches. If you look at the Bears CBs, you can see that they had no fear of pressing at the LOS or making plays on the ball, they had no fear of the Ravens WRs and Joe couldn't progress through his reads long enough because no one could get open, there's were plenty of times in the games where he held the ball for too long without a receiver open. Also, Mike Wallace is turning 32, Jeremy Maclin is on and off the injury report and you're getting nothing from Perriman, I think you have to look at the receiver group as the weakest link on the team.

I know we have a deep seeded dislike for Antonio Brown and AJ Green but we badly need a WR in that build here, those two are able to make plays when it's badly needed and right now we don't have it. I know a lot of people say that you don't need a super-star WR here but if you don't have that then at best you get a good unit of receivers who can make plays and right now we don't have that. I think there's a lot of games we've lost in the past because of a lack of play-makers.

Deep seeded dislike for Antonio Brown and AJ Green? Are you kidding? Man please @TheCity5. :rolleyes: :lol:

I absolutely LOVE watching those cats ball. Did you see that play Brown made today for a TD to seal their win vs the Chiefs? The Ravens have no one in their receiving core making plays like that!

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Deep seeded dislike for Antonio Brown and AJ Green? Are you kidding? Man please @TheCity5. :rolleyes: :lol:

I absolutely LOVE watching those cats ball. Did you see that play Brown made today for a TD to seal their win vs the Chiefs? The Ravens have no one in their receiving core making plays like that!

WHo cares about antonio brown, we had ramon harewood ranked as a 3rd round talent and he dropped to the 6th.

Value pick people, value pick

the wonderful wizard of oz!

:/

WHo cares about antonio brown, we had ramon harewood ranked as a 3rd round talent and he dropped to the 6th.

Value pick people, value pick

the wonderful wizard of oz!

:/

Man I think we dropped the ball on Ramon Harewood even though he was injury prone, from memory he went from being a good starter for half a season then he became a healthy scratch. I guess it doesnt matter since we won the whole thing.

Lol I can't lie, AJ can ball but I really do not like him the Football player as he's killed this teams hope a ton, but I think he's a good person. Same with AB, I really do admire their skill set and what they do on the field, at the same time I just like to see their teams fail.

Looking back on our SB year, I can see why we ran the tables, I mean we had Boldin who could beat #1 CBs, Torrey who was an exceptional deep threat, Jones who was a play-maker, and Pitta who was a #1 TE and a pro bowl caliber player at that, all that to go along with Ray Rice and a run game. I mean looking back on it our offense was stacked and I think that is easily our best offense in terms of talent and we didn't even have an elite OL.

I think what I desire more than anything personally is play-makers. I understand the desire for an elite OL but looking at the past SB winners, they don't really have that, their teams are mostly compromised of play-makers, whether it's on the offensive or defensive end.

Looking back on our SB year, I can see why we ran the tables, I mean we had Boldin who could beat #1 CBs, Torrey who was an exceptional deep threat, Jones who was a play-maker, and Pitta who was a #1 TE and a pro bowl caliber player at that, all that to go along with Ray Rice and a run game. I mean looking back on it our offense was stacked and I think that is easily our best offense in terms of talent and we didn't even have an elite OL.

I think what I desire more than anything personally is play-makers. I understand the desire for an elite OL but looking at the past SB winners, they don't really have that, their teams are mostly compromised of play-makers, whether it's on the offensive or defensive end.

Its true Joe isnt out there dropping passes, but our receivers also don't ever get a chance to get warm in this offense.

Heres a question though, why is nobody asking why our 10 year veteran QB is still causing delay of game penalties or throwing past the line of scrimmage?

arnie_uk

Veteran
Ross tucker who was at the game said its the worst game for wide receiver play hes ever seen.

No one on either side was ever open.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The thing that bothers me with Joe is that he's really just not taking chances. The offense is so incredibly conservative and predicated so much on short passes.

I said it in another thread, but I don't care if a guy is covered 20 yards down the field. Take a few shots and eventually the safeties will be unable to creep up and cheat into the box. Eventually you'll get match ups with tight ends on linebackers or corners instead of safeties. Take a few shots to your men when they're covered. We all know Joe is capable of making throws into incredibly tight windows. We saw it against the Steelers.

I just don't think Joe has any confidence in himself and as a result, the offense just isn't doing its job.
and the crazy thing is, we see time and time again when joe takes risks, the offense looks better. We challenge plays downfield, joe hits tight windows, etc. and it often works, and then the next week we see all passes longer than 10 yards scrapped from the playbook. I don't get it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
and the crazy thing is, we see time and time again when joe takes risks, the offense looks better. We challenge plays downfield, joe hits tight windows, etc. and it often works, and then the next week we see all passes longer than 10 yards scrapped from the playbook. I don't get it

it's also stupid because it plays against the 'strengths' of this receiving corps which is deep speed which means that our best receivers cant operate effectively in the offence...

arnie_uk

Veteran
The thing that bothers me with Joe is that he's really just not taking chances. The offense is so incredibly conservative and predicated so much on short passes.

I said it in another thread, but I don't care if a guy is covered 20 yards down the field. Take a few shots and eventually the safeties will be unable to creep up and cheat into the box. Eventually you'll get match ups with tight ends on linebackers or corners instead of safeties. Take a few shots to your men when they're covered. We all know Joe is capable of making throws into incredibly tight windows. We saw it against the Steelers.

I just don't think Joe has any confidence in himself and as a result, the offense just isn't doing its job.
Wasn't the 2nd interception exactly this. Tight coverage good throw, little late maybe and bounced of moores chest.

Heck even the perriman one he split over under coverage and he dropped it.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Wasn't the 2nd interception exactly this. Tight coverage good throw, little late maybe and bounced of moores chest.

Heck even the perriman one he split over under coverage and he dropped it.
Flacco had a good game yesterday in my opinion. He was hitting receivers in stride and got the ball where they needed to. His team completely let him down today.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It doesn't matter much winning in the trenches if no one can get open, I don't think we lost the game primarily because of our OL, the receiver group takes most of the blame to me. At least in this sense, we ran the football, what did we do in terms of receiving? I really cannot agree with us losing primarily because of turnovers and trenches. If you look at the Bears CBs, you can see that they had no fear of pressing at the LOS or making plays on the ball, they had no fear of the Ravens WRs and Joe couldn't progress through his reads long enough because no one could get open, there's were plenty of times in the games where he held the ball for too long without a receiver open. Also, Mike Wallace is turning 32, Jeremy Maclin is on and off the injury report and you're getting nothing from Perriman, I think you have to look at the receiver group as the weakest link on the team.

I know we have a deep seeded dislike for Antonio Brown and AJ Green but we badly need a WR in that build here, those two are able to make plays when it's badly needed and right now we don't have it. I know a lot of people say that you don't need a super-star WR here but if you don't have that then at best you get a good unit of receivers who can make plays and right now we don't have that. I think there's a lot of games we've lost in the past because of a lack of play-makers.
Im not in disagreement that we need a wr that can make plays on a consistent basis and a qb that can make reads fwiw.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It pains me seeing these younger QB’s making checks at the line of scrimmage and telling teammates where to line up. Does Flacco even do this in his 10th year? Also, next QB we get, I hope he’s a dual threat. Flacco looks like a tree in the pocket.
A dual threat that can play from the pocket, not an rg3 type.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It makes absolutely no sense at all

Tank

Hall of Famer
Flacco had a good game yesterday in my opinion. He was hitting receivers in stride and got the ball where they needed to. His team completely let him down today.
Careful what you say, you know it's not fashionable on these boards to recognize the truth.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Careful what you say, you know it's not fashionable on these boards to recognize the truth.

He had some good throws and the interceptions were not his fault, but the 3rd and 2 in overtime should have been completed. He also should have known where he was on the field in the 3rd qtr when he passed the ball over the line of scrimmage. There were numerous plays where all he did was look at one read. Even the pass when we went for two was a great catch. The guy was wide open but he almost missed him.

I’d love to see Flacco turn it around, I would, and I’ve been a supporter for a long time, but he’s getting to me.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Lmao I really like Flacco. I get negged the weeks he does bad and liked the weeks he does well. I really do feel bad for the guy coming to Baltimore... I think if he went elsewhere he could have had a better career. I know he has the super bowl but the team does not build around him and makes his job one of the hardest. You can look at the stats of 4 touchdowns and 8 picks whatever it is but you don't understand the full story... I think 6 of those were off of receivers' hands. I never thought Maclin was a #1 receiver he has been very inconsistent but very good some years not discrediting him. Wallace is a solid #2 but the team doesn't pass deep and he doesn't seem to get open on those drag routes he was last year that turned into big gains. Perriman has talent but god man hold onto the ball.

What really pisses me off is the Ravens top 3 receivers are deep threats. Maclin, Wallace, and Perriman all can stretch the field. Instead Marty calls plays for 2 yards. You know how you help out your run game and o-line? Throw the ball deep. That opens the field more. You have a quarterback who won a super bowl off of it. He throws the deep ball well.

Seriously that's the only difference Kubiak had here than anywhere else. He let Joe take deep shots and that opened up the run game for Forsett who has been a back up his entire career and he went to the pro bowl. Forsett is not a starter and never was supposed to be a starter in this league. Kubiak just used his weapons the way they should be used. Throwing the ball 10-15 yards downfield opens up your tight ends and running backs underneath.

You don't use your right pieces the right way and of course you are going to lose. Flacco doesn't have to throw 40 times a game I'm not saying that. But he needs to take a deep shot or two each quarter. That's what moves safeties and linebackers back. It isn't that complicated.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
He had some good throws and the interceptions were not his fault, but the 3rd and 2 in overtime should have been completed. He also should have known where he was on the field in the 3rd qtr when he passed the ball over the line of scrimmage. There were numerous plays where all he did was look at one read. Even the pass when we went for two was a great catch. The guy was wide open but he almost missed him.

I’d love to see Flacco turn it around, I would, and I’ve been a supporter for a long time, but he’s getting to me.
He's always going to be that guy that misses a couple passes. I mean the only few quarterbacks who don't are the top ones. But he usually comes back and wows everyone with an amazing pass later. My point is this offense does not support the strengths of the players. I mean looking back how many times did Flacco miss a wide open Rice but then the next play throw a perfect pass 50 yards downfield to Torrey Smith? He will always be that person that misses those passes from 10 yards away that he shouldn't, but he will be that person that if you throw the ball deep downfield 10 times a game he will hit 4-5 of them.