• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

As Terrell Davis Gets Inducted into the HOF...

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I love Ray and I might get some heat for this... I don't know if he's top 10 all time. I would actually put Reed above him on an all time list.
I would put him in the top 5 all time. Outside of LT, I don't think you can find a better linebacker in their prime. Ray was freakishly good.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Thank you, find it hard to believe that people who watched Jamal weekly would disagree, the prison time is the only thing I can think of.

And the crazy thing is, Jamal rushed consistently for 1000 yards on 2 teams with absolutely horrible supporting casts, for a much longer time, and with his fair share of injuries as well.

This argument is 100% hype from the 2 super bowl years and love for TD as a character, and disdain for Jamal because of his one off field incident, but shit we all knew rays story and he's gonna be a first ballot.

TD was the best player on that team. AND arguably the best player in the NFL. He was the piston on a great offense. Without him it doesn't work. He missed a quarter in that first Super Bowl. And the offense gained something like 3 yards that complete quarter or so. Not to mention many feel TDs career was cut short by a knee injury that kept returning. So many feel he was an all time great but was robbed of a complete career. He was the fuel behind a ball control/high octane offense that won consecutive championships. The ball control part covered up a suspect defense. And he is a genuine great character that everybody likes. Whereas Jamal robbed himself many voters would say. With drugs, off field drama and bulking up to much. And his defense carried the offense. But I agree he doesn't get enough credit for his crappy pathetic supporting cast.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
being in the shadow of another player should never be an indictment on said player, just a testament to the better ones. If TD was in his prime when those guys were then I don't think TD is the best back in the league either, of the 3 you named he was only better than Alexander, hell when TD was in his prime there wasn't stellar rb play around the league period, the quality of rb play really ramped up in the 2000s. I mean who did you really have in that late 90s era aside from Barry, Curtis Martin and emmitt smith? And Barry should barely be counted at that point anyway
How so with regards to Sanders? He had one of the best RB seasons of all time in 1997, with 2,053 rushing yards and a 6.1 YPC on his way to the NFL MVP throphy. The year before, he had 1,553 rushing yards, 1,500 the year before that. And he finished his career with 1,491 in 1998. Those were Davis' first and only 4 full seasons, so a good portion of Sanders' best performances came in the same span. Marshall Faulk was also in his mid-twenties, same goes for Eddie George and Jerome Bettis (Who were arguably in a lower tier than the likes of Sanders, Smith and Faulk). But it doesn't seem like the era was short on talent, and to Davis' credit, he earned first-team All-Pro nods in 3 of those 4 years, along with the MVP award the season after Sanders won his. I don't want to hinge the argument on All-Pro votes as they aren't always perfect. But I do feel like he had a good deal of talent to compete with.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Are you really gonna hold the overall performance of those offenses, led by the likes of tony banks, Kyle boller, and Anthony wright against him, and then disregard TDs supporting cast just because he was the focal point?

That's a blind argument if I've ever seen one

Im saying that carrying a team to 2 super bowls means something more then just being a good player on one of them. The results do matter and the results were Davis 's best seasons getting the Broncos 2 super bowls and Lewis getting 1 SB as a rookie and then his best year had him getting knocked out in the 1st round against the Titans.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
How so with regards to Sanders? He had one of the best RB seasons of all time in 1997, with 2,053 rushing yards and a 6.1 YPC on his way to the NFL MVP throphy. The year before, he had 1,553 rushing yards, 1,500 the year before that. And he finished his career with 1,491 in 1998. Those were Davis' first and only 4 full seasons, so a good portion of Sanders' best performances came in the same span. Marshall Faulk was also in his mid-twenties, same goes for Eddie George and Jerome Bettis (Who were arguably in a lower tier than the likes of Sanders, Smith and Faulk). But it doesn't seem like the era was short on talent, and to Davis' credit, he earned first-team All-Pro nods in 3 of those 4 years, along with the MVP award the season after Sanders won his. I don't want to hinge the argument on All-Pro votes as they aren't always perfect. But I do feel like he had a good deal of talent to compete with.
Ah, Barry Sanders. The legend to lead the NFL in all time yardage lost, but still rank third in YPC.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
can someone make a legitimate argument as to why TD deserves it but Jamal Lewis doesn't?

The numbers, the footage, and the lack of supporting cast all lean in Jamal's favor. Touchdowns are literally the only place where TD bypasses him, and that can largely be contributed to the kubiak stretch zone scheme which he was born of.

Not to say I think Jamal is a hall of famer, but I don't think TD is either. Imo he is one of the more overrated players in history. Oh he would've been better had he not gotten injuries? Speculation, plenty of players would have been better if not for injuries.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000372268/article/why-terrell-davis-belongs-in-the-hall-of-fame

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Ah, Barry Sanders. The legend to lead the NFL in all time yardage lost, but still rank third in YPC.
Crazy, right? He's arguably my all-time favorite running back, but that's more of a stylistic choice. You could basically pick a name out of a hat of 5-10 RBs.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I only said that about Barry because it's not like TD was competing with him throughout his career, TD had 2 seasons as a premiere back before Barry retired. pointless thing to say I guess but it's like it wasn't a competition between emmitt and Jamal because their careers just BARELY overlapped. I know Barry still retired producing at a high level, and maybe this is stupid, but I feel like to declare a competition between 2 guys they should have a little more overlap in their careers

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
can someone make a legitimate argument as to why TD deserves it but Jamal Lewis doesn't?

The numbers, the footage, and the lack of supporting cast all lean in Jamal's favor. Touchdowns are literally the only place where TD bypasses him, and that can largely be contributed to the kubiak stretch zone scheme which he was born of.

Not to say I think Jamal is a hall of famer, but I don't think TD is either. Imo he is one of the more overrated players in history. Oh he would've been better had he not gotten injuries? Speculation, plenty of players would have been better if not for injuries.
Lewis is a great back, but TD carried his team and thst Broncos team wouldn't have won those Super Bowls without him. Our defense was the team MVP that season. That is why we won that Super Bowl.

Btw, the scheme was not Kubiaks stretch zone. It was Mike Shanahans and Alex Gibbs zbs scheme.

The Raven

Veteran
Lewis is a great back, but TD carried his team and thst Broncos team wouldn't have won those Super Bowls without him. Our defense was the team MVP that season. That is why we won that Super Bowl.

Btw, the scheme was not Kubiaks stretch zone. It was Mike Shanahans and Alex Gibbs zbs scheme.
It's the same thing. Who do you think Kubiak got if from? Remember that he was the OC on that team.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I only said that about Barry because it's not like TD was competing with him throughout his career, TD had 2 seasons as a premiere back before Barry retired. pointless thing to say I guess but it's like it wasn't a competition between emmitt and Jamal because their careers just BARELY overlapped. I know Barry still retired producing at a high level, and maybe this is stupid, but I feel like to declare a competition between 2 guys they should have a little more overlap in their careers
That's true, yes. But Davis' career basically spanned four seasons. By that logic, who was he competing with on that scale? The Smith-Lewis comparison can't be used as a parallel example because both played at least 8 near-full seasons. Davis had a terrific rookie season but likely wasn't considered an elite back. However, that being said, all three of his following seasons were competing directly against Sanders. Davis came away with the Offensive Player of the Year award in 1996 and 1998, with Sanders winning in 1997, and they traded MVPs awards in the latter two seasons. Both were on All-Pro teams, Davis on the first ballot in the final three years, Sanders on two firsts and two seconds. Each was in direct competition with their counterpart while earning their respective honors. The overlap of two players' careers is a palpable aspect when we're arguing between who's the better RB. But the point being established here is whom Davis played against during his prime seasons and whom he had to beat out for the awards he won; and in that case, the career overlap loses relevance. We're only quantifying the accomplishments of a single player. In his four seasons, Davis he played a position with the same four Hall of Famers, a rather difficult path. So the fact that he was considered one of the Top 3 RBs by the panel in three of his four seasons and the best offensive player in two of them is difficult to discount given the context. I don't know that it's possible to exempt Sanders from the list of Davis' direct competitors.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It's the same thing. Who do you think Kubiak got if from? Remember that he was the OC on that team.
Yes, but the godfather of the zbs is Alex Gibbs. Shanahan and Gibbs deserve the credit. I agree it's the same thing. anyway we are getting off track. I'm typically not a fan of players getting in the HOF with short careers, but TD deserves to be a hall of famer. I don't need to say anything more than what @Truth laid out in his first four seasons.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yep, Barry Sanders ran more yards backwards and sideways than he ran forwards. He's my favorite back of all time. He maybe more plays out of nothing than any running back in the history of thr game.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Crazy, right? He's arguably my all-time favorite running back, but that's more of a stylistic choice. You could basically pick a name out of a hat of 5-10 RBs.
He's my favorite, up there with Ladanian Tomlinson.

I think Sanders is the greatest running back ever. If he plays for just three more years, I bet he's the all time leader in rushing yards and I bet he could have broken Jim Brown's record for YPG, or at least topped 100 YPG. Probably wasn't going to have left with more touchdowns than Emmitt Smith or LT (I know he was later), though. Smith's touchdown number will be hard to beat.

But who the hell makes 10 straight Pro Bowls and 10 straight All-Pro teams? That's unreal.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He was CJ2K before there was Chris Johnson.
Totally agree and he did it on the lowly Lions. He found his way out of more paper bags than I can imagine and they have had lots of paper bags in the Silverdome stands while Sanders was playing. If they could have shown a little more potential towards the end of his career, I think he would have played a little longer.

He and Walter Payton are right up there with my favorite running backs of all time.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Since we are talking about running backs. Imo, adrain peterson is easily top 3 all time. I wouldnt pick no running back ahead of him other than barry sanders